Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-21, 09:16 AM  
sherry7899

I am reading "The Therapist" by BA Paris. I just finished "The Night she Disappeared" by Lisa Jewell.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 09:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am reading "The Therapist" by BA Paris. I just finished "The Night she Disappeared" by Lisa Jewell.
How did you like The Night She Disappeared? I like Lisa Jewell's books but haven't read this one yet.

I think I have The Therapist but I was so turned off by Behind Closed Doors that I haven't read any other books of hers. I thought BCD was overhyped and not well written at all. Did you like The Therapist?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 02:17 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
How did you like The Night She Disappeared? I like Lisa Jewell's books but haven't read this one yet.

I think I have The Therapist but I was so turned off by Behind Closed Doors that I haven't read any other books of hers. I thought BCD was overhyped and not well written at all. Did you like The Therapist?
I did like "The Night she Disappeared" but it could have been about fifty pages shorter.

I thought I was the only one who did not like "Behind Closed Doors!" I did not even finish it. I am liking the Therapist so far, but I'm not very far into it.

I do not like these trends now with psychological suspense where most of the story is in the main character's head and there isn't much dialogue.

Both were library loans. I am trying to buy less books.

Old 09-17-21, 02:51 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
I am liking the Therapist so far, but I'm not very far into it.
I have this in my stack of books to read. Never read anything else by this author, see reviews are mixed. Please let us know what you think when you finish it.
Old 09-18-21, 07:37 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
I did like "The Night she Disappeared" but it could have been about fifty pages shorter.

I thought I was the only one who did not like "Behind Closed Doors!" I did not even finish it. I am liking the Therapist so far, but I'm not very far into it.

I do not like these trends now with psychological suspense where most of the story is in the main character's head and there isn't much dialogue.

Both were library loans. I am trying to buy less books.
Thanks, Sherry! I've kind of transitioned away from psychological suspense lately, not sure why. I've been reading more crime novels, series in particular.

I too need to buy less books and make more use of my library.
Old 09-18-21, 07:42 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Thanks, Sherry! I've kind of transitioned away from psychological suspense lately, not sure why. I've been reading more crime novels, series in particular.

I too need to buy less books and make more use of my library.
If you like procedural crime, I loved a British series by Dorothy Simpson-her "Inspector Luke Thanet" series. Your library my have them. They were written i the 1980s/1990s if I am remembering correctly. They were set in the British countryside, which I enjoyed reading about.

If you like straight mystery series, I really enjoyed Nancy Pickard's "Jennifer Caine" series. Your library probably has those also.

Old 09-18-21, 08:14 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
If you like procedural crime, I loved a British series by Dorothy Simpson-her "Inspector Luke Thanet" series. Your library my have them. They were written i the 1980s/1990s if I am remembering correctly. They were set in the British countryside, which I enjoyed reading about.

If you like straight mystery series, I really enjoyed Nancy Pickard's "Jennifer Caine" series. Your library probably has those also.
Thank you for the recommendations, Sherry! I am always on the lookout for more crime/mystery series!
Old 09-18-21, 08:20 AM  
donnamp

If you like a mystery series with a little historical fiction thrown in I have started reading the Verity Kent series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/193...kent-mysteries

The cover art reminds me of Maisie Dobbs - which I also enjoy!

My Library has them for digital loan - I'm not sure if they have physical copies. Since the pandemic, I have not been to the library - I just borrow everything on my Kindle!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 08:23 AM  
BunnyHop

Stayed up late to finish The Madness of Crowds. The ending dragged out like crazy, and the story wobbled all over the place. Not her best work.
Old 09-18-21, 08:29 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Stayed up late to finish The Madness of Crowds. The ending dragged out like crazy, and the story wobbled all over the place. Not her best work.
I did the same thing last week. And I agree.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading