Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-20, 04:26 PM  
dmlarue1

Anyone ever have carpal tunnel?

Just wondering if anyone had carpal tunnel and how you resolved it?
Thanks
Dee
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 04:45 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone had carpal tunnel and how you resolved it?
Thanks
Dee
I had it for 17 years and finally had surgery (both hands) last year. I got instant relief from the surgery and wish I had done it sooner.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 05:24 PM  
IceQueen07

Same as Erica - had it for years, finally had bilateral surgery 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did, wished I had done it sooner.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 06:23 PM  
honey

I was well on the way to it. I had an ergonomic assessment of my workstation and was able to recover before it got too far. I still have problems if I do repetitive motions without getting into proper position.
honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 07:34 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I had it for 17 years and finally had surgery (both hands) last year. I got instant relief from the surgery and wish I had done it sooner.

Erica

I didn't have it for 17 years, more like 6. I tried "everything" and finally got instant, permanent relief from bilateral surgery. I, too, wish I had done it sooner.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 09:08 PM  
Bluebelle

I've had it for many years. Maybe 20 or so. I have not had surgery. There are some things you can try before surgery. Special braces for carpal tunnel. Ice, Aleve.

I try to be careful and not set my carpal tunnel off. If I overdo it (like cooking and baking of the holidays) I take Aleve immediately.

I wore braces when I first got carpal tunnel but have note worn them since.

I'm on the computer a lot for work. I do wrist stretches every day. I have an app on the computer to remind me to take small quick breaks though out the day.

I like to craft - I have to take breaks very often. I sometimes set a kitchen timer. I like to cross stitch. try to take a break after 20 minutes or so.

I try to focus on keeping my wrists straight. it's second nature now. For example when using a shopping car, while sleeping. Try not to bend the wrist in awkward positions.

Pay attention to what triggers it. Then see if you can modify the activity triggering it.

Hope you feel better soon.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 11:34 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I truly think that for some people, the problem is anatomic, not functional. My sister and my mother both had the same issues I did, and both got immediate relief with surgery. The surgeon who did my procedures agreed. Sometimes the nerve passage is just too narrow.

i would recommend trying non-surgical treatments and ergonomic modifications. If they don't work, and you are, like me, woken up at night with painful numbness in your hands and have your every day life limited by pain, then pursue a surgical solution.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 12:32 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Yes, and I use a roller ball instead of a mouse for both work and personal computer--the scroll wheel on the mouse aggravates it more than anything. Having a chair that elevates my hands to a certain height is essential too, now that I work from home and don't have a keyboard tray at my desk anymore.

I've tried a variety of hand/wrist braces and none have been especially helpful because they mostly get in the way. Crafting compression gloves are more effective for me.

Hope this helps! Repetitive strain tends to be specific to your circumstances.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 03:27 PM  
carolyn jane

I had carpal tunnel for most of 2018 and tried everything - braces, exercises, supplements, steriod shots, etc.

After many sleepless nights - it's always worse at night and I would wake up feeling like my hands were on fire - I had the surgery. Instant relief!

I did the surgery one hand at a time, but if I had known the recovery would be so quick I would have done both hands at the same time.
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 04:06 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

My DH has it. First, I suggest using this type of mouse.

Second, a doctor can give you some anti-inflammatories to take for a while.

Third, rest helps a lot.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpal tunnel syndrome