Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-09, 01:59 PM  
leahintexas

Help me figure out what to do!

Advice? I'm an older (53) woman who is trying to get back in shape. I started using Leslie's walking videos around Thanksgiving and then got some others. Now I have a step and some Firms, WHFN Kick****! and others.

In the spring, my family wanted to do a 5K fun run, so I switched my focus to trying to get in shape for that. I jogged most of it (pretty slowly!), but I was pleased.

Another thing: I'm dealing with perio-menopause and this fat at my belly is different and I want to work on that. I am at an okay weight. I could lose five to ten pounds, but what really needs to happen is firming up.

Finally, I am requiring a bit more rest time than I used to when I exercised regularly twenty years ago.

Should I try to jog and do a video each day? Alternate? What about the recommended rotations--how do I fit jogging in with that? Or should I just go one way (jogging) or the other (videos)?

I don't have a ton of time, either, but I can sometimes get the jogging done when my kids are at their sports' practices.

I just can't figure out what my plan is and stick to it!

Thanks,

Leah
leahintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 02:15 PM  
jhardy

I don't have a lot of advice, but I definitely wouldn't try to jog and do a video on the same day. It is important for you to develop a lifestyle that you can maintain and I think that exercising too much will cause either burnout or injury.

I would do a rotation of 3 days of cardio (jogging) and then 3 days of strength (or a video that combines both strength and cardio). The strength training is very important as you get older to maintain your lean body mass. Also, much of the firming will come from strength training.

You could easily decide to add some additional walking into your program especially on the strength days, but do it more for enjoyment and to burn a few extra calories and not as a workout.

Best of luck meeting your goals and congratulations on the progress you have made since Thanksgiving.

Jen
jhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 02:18 PM  
jahra

Hi Leah,

I am your age. I find too that I need at times to take
exercise some days in smaller increments. I'll defer on the
jogging question.

What has helped me is Gilads and his sister Ada's dvds.
I do a half hour of one of their dvds. I have recently added
a Pilates stick workout as well.

My focus now is to start a barre rotation/Bar Method Fluidity
with a Gilad/Ada dvd and Pilates stick workout. On alternate
weeks instead of Gilads series I am doing the Nia workouts.

Nia is a dance approach that you can do at different levels
even in the same workout. I am able to adjust it according to how
I feel that day.

Good luck with your rotation plan, thought I would share what is
currently working for me.
Old 05-25-09, 02:33 PM  
Sparky10

rec

Hi
I recommend incorporating Pilates. My mom is in her mid 60s and struggling with the dreaded menopot. I gave her a couple of pilates dvds (Leslie you can do pilates and another beginner one with Ana Caban) for her birthday in Feb. She has been doing those with walking and when I saw her in April I could really tell a difference. She said she is happy with the results as well and especially likes the pilates because she feels it doesn't take 'a lot of energy' to do but she still has seen results (if that makes sense). I took it to mean, it is more of gentler workout than something really hard core and high impact. She said she has been walking 30 mins just about everyday and doing pilates 2-3 times a week.
HTH
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 10:32 AM  
leahintexas

Thanks for your ideas!

Thanks so much for your ideas. I like the idea of jogging for three days and then three days of videos. And I do want to look into some pilates.

Now, I just have to try to be more consistent (and not give up when I'm not!)

Leah
leahintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 11:02 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky10 View Post
... struggling with the dreaded menopot ...
Menopot! I've never heard that expression before, but oh how it fits!

I would recommend having a few of Leslie Sansone's two or three mile workouts on hand for some variety or if the weather is uncooperative for jogging. Some recommendations are Walk and Jog, and The Big Burn, 5K With a Twist. There are lots of others, but this is a good beginning.

I'd also look at getting Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body to help strengthen and tone various body parts, and you might also like Pilates for Dummies, which is an excellent introduction to Pilates that works for more experienced exercisers as well.

Good luck!