Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-22, 01:38 PM  
sherry7899

strength-split versus total body

I started a strength rotation on Team Body Project (Warrior) a little over a week ago. I really enjoy the instructor (Daniel) so much, but I realize I am just not a big fan of split workouts. I don't like working only two or three body parts for 40 to 55 minutes. I need to take rest days or do cardio in between since I cannot use weights for upper body two days in a row (chronic injuries).

I am debating switching back to two total body workouts a week. Is that enough for strength gains/body composition changes? I really love Cathe's ICE Metabolic workout. I was thinking of maybe doing that one twice a week?

Any input about total body versus strength workouts would be appreciated. Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 09:56 PM  
edensmom

Two full body workouts per week will work great for you. Three would be even better. �� After maybe 4 weeks or so you will want to pick a different workout to use so as not to stall your progress.
Edit: the best split for you is the one you can and will stick to. You can see progress with either total body or a split routine. Do what you like best or switch it up from time to time.
Total body will be easier for you to fit your cardio in.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 07:18 AM  
bubbles76

I remember someone posting about having great results with KCM 30 MTF series. I believe most of KCM workouts are total body so it's possible to have strength gains/ body composition changes with total body workouts. However I'm sure KCM's rotations are three day a week for weights.

Like edensmom said I think as long as you gradually increase weights and vary the type of weight training you do that you'll get the results you're looking for.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 07:28 AM  
Rhonda

I agree with the others, what you like doing is what you should do. I prefer the splits but upper and lower. I don't like the one, two body parts for 30 minutes or more.

I like to do all upper in 30-40 minutes and all lower in 30-40 minutes. If I can get it done quicker that is great with me.

I don't like the total body as it seems there compound moves and I can't lift as heavy as the upper/lower split. I can lift a lot heavier for lower body but if I am doing a shoulder exercise with legs then the weight is lighter

do what you enjoy, that to me is what exercise is about. What you like doing you will do, otherwise it becomes a chore and like anyone else I don't like to do chores
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 07:29 AM  
ellaenchanted

I only do splits if the works are 35 minutes or less. I don't see any reason to have workouts that long unless it is at a gym with seriously heavy weights that needs long recovery in between sets. I am doing a 3-day split rotation now with Lift with Cee but the workouts are 20-25ish minutes.

But, total body would be great for you! 2 or 3 time per week is plenty. I have found that taking a moderate approach where I allow enough rest has made me a lot stronger.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:18 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for your input, and thank you for whomever tagged the thread.

I did Cathe's ICE Metabolic just now for the first time in over a month. I used to be able to do all the reps, but this time I couldn't. I'll have to work back up to it.

I may look for splits that do as Rhonda suggested, all lower and all upper. I just do not care for working two or three body parts for 40 plus minutes.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 01:45 PM  
pharma_gal

You can absolutely make strength gains and/or body composition changes with full body workouts. If you feel you are lagging a body part you can
Always pause and add a few extra sets for that body part. You have to do what you enjoy.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 01:58 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I prefer the splits but upper and lower.

do what you enjoy, that to me is what exercise is about.
This is how I prefer to exercise too. I like focusing on the bigger muscle groups and don't like spending an enormous amount of time on the smaller ones. I will do upper body splits if I like the way the splits are but prefer doing it all at once.

And I absolutely agree that you should do what you enjoy!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:42 PM  
ellaenchanted

I wanted to add that Vera Laro's latest roation called Strong is a 3 day split with upprt body, lower body and full body each week.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
splits vs tb, strength training, total body vs splits