Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-21, 01:54 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Do HIIT workouts really help you lose fat?

I'm just wondering how effective they are compared to steady state cardio. If you do either of these types of cardio what duration do you do?
Old 09-13-21, 06:46 AM  
buffmama

HIIT is usually 30 min or under for me. I think as little as 10 min can make a difference if done consistently. Steady state is usually around 45 min or longer.
Old 09-13-21, 10:32 AM  
kat999

I actually sort of hate HIIT because it's frenetic and exhausting, but I've been doing it pretty exclusively for a few months now and feel like it's made much more of a positive difference in my muscle-to-fat ratio more so than steady state (which I prefer, but I guess it doesn't produce as many dramatic results, at least for me).
Old 09-13-21, 04:06 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Do you mix Hiit and Steady State or just do Hiit?
Old 09-13-21, 05:33 PM  
wendug

When I do HIIT, I stick to around 30 minutes. With steady state cardio, I can go 45 minutes to an hour. I don't particularly enjoy HIIT, as it can be tough on my joints, but I do try to fit some in to my rotation. I've noticed that "HIIT" is a buzz word in fitness and so many instructors on YT label workouts as HIIT when they really aren't.
Old 09-13-21, 06:15 PM  
buffmama

I do both - whatever is in the program I am doing.

I am going to recommend MrandMrsMuscle on youtube they have HIIT short as 4 min, show modifications and are total body usually even when labeled as something else. I add these onto my easier days and they are often harder than some 45 min workouts I do - but doable.
Old 09-13-21, 07:10 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I've noticed that "HIIT" is a buzz word in fitness and so many instructors on YT label workouts as HIIT when they really aren't.
This. Isn’t the original concept an individualized thing, though. The moves have to be something where you can go hard enough to get the heart rate up in a certain range for about 20-40 seconds. If you are following someone else and they aren’t cueing moves that get you there, it might be an interval workout, but it won’t be HIIT.

I’ve read that it’s really hard to push yourself hard enough to the levels that the original HIIT studies were based on. The people that write those articles may not have met any VFers, though.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 08:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
This. Isn’t the original concept an individualized thing, though. The moves have to be something where you can go hard enough to get the heart rate up in a certain range for about 20-40 seconds. If you are following someone else and they aren’t cueing moves that get you there, it might be an interval workout, but it won’t be HIIT.

I’ve read that it’s really hard to push yourself hard enough to the levels that the original HIIT studies were based on. The people that write those articles may not have met any VFers, though.
Yes, that's what I kept thinking. My understanding is that true HIIT workouts shouldn't be done more than twice, maybe three times, a week and are generally less than 20 minutes long. Tom Holland has talked about this in more than one episode of his podcast.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 09:16 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Yes, that's what I kept thinking. My understanding is that true HIIT workouts shouldn't be done more than twice, maybe three times, a week and are generally less than 20 minutes long. Tom Holland has talked about this in more than one episode of his podcast.
ITA. Calling every freakin' interval workout "HiiT" is a pet peeve of mine.

My experience is that when I incorporate "real" HiiT workouts into my routine consistently for maybe a month that I feel tighter and less "fluffy" in spots. I haven't actually measured anything so it's just my sense of how my clothes fit and how I "feel."

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 09-13-21 at 09:20 PM. Reason: didn't answer the main topic!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 06:25 AM  
Tugger31

I find the scale moves after a stall if I start adding in brief HIIT a few times a week. Because of health issues I'm not allowed to do high impact anymore or lift anything over my head and I have some vertigo so things that involve changing from standing to horizontal moves ie burpees make me very dizzy.

I'd love to incorporate more HIIT but finding things I can safely do has been my biggest challenge. I have found that adding the short beginning step segment from Cathe's Athletic Training has been helping. That's not HIIT but it gets my heart rate up, but I think that's because my cardio endurance has declined over the years since taking the impact out of my workouts. I do think adding short bursts of more intense cardio (that is different for everyone) whether it is true HIIT or not has benefits.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, hiit results, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio, steady state results