Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-21, 08:15 AM  
Demeris

I live in rural Arizona, between Phx and Tucson. Interestingly enough, I live just outside a town that has been regularly rated as the safest town in Arizona and about 11 miles from a town that has regularly been rated as one of the most unsafe towns in Arizona.

I feel safe, but I'm probably not as safe as I feel because my land lays right on a human smuggling route. There are also several prisons around the town near which I live. Last winter, there was a prison break, and when the prisoners were found, three or four days later, it was pretty clear they had come very close to my house while they were on the lam.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 09:17 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I live in SW Ohio...
I grew up in SW Ohio and have fond memories of living here as a child! I later moved to the mid-west again and it felt like coming home! But, everything changes and not many places stay the same. New people move in, old buildings get demolished, new roads get built, etc.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 09:28 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I live in rural Arizona, between Phx and Tucson.
I've also lived in Arizona....Phoenix, Tucson, Glendale. I was in the city (for the most part) so felt a little less safe. Or, in college for the first time and it was a bit daunting living on your own in a new town.

But, like I said before...much has changed in the city. If I had to do it again, I would choose a rural environment over the congestion of city life. My DH has to be near or in a city with close proximity to Universities and libraries for research purposes.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 09:47 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I don't feel safe here. The other day, there were two shootings within miles of us within a few hours. One, just south of us and the other in the nearest city.

Last summer, two men knocked on our front door. I don't answer the door and saw them steal an ornament off of our porch. They drove away laughing.

The pandemic has only made things worse. I have to wonder if anywhere is safe anymore...
Good for you! So many people don't understand the danger in opening the door to a stranger. My 82 year old father-in-law was brutally murdered when he did so.

Unbelievably, my husband still opens the door for strangers -which upsets me. Fortunately, I have two large (and very protective) dogs. One can always talk through the door so they know someone is home.

Often robbers will knock on a door to determine if anyone is home before breaking into a place. That's another reason to have a big dog :-)

I lived in the Ozark mountains for a few years. It was safe and beautiful, but lacking in amenities.
Old 06-04-21, 10:09 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the informative replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Alta, although it's a long shot in you/DH relocating here, Hawaii does not tax pensions. it has ranked as the healthiest state in the US 9 times out of the past 30 years** and has always been in the top 5 of all 30 years. US News & World Report also rank it as the healthiest state for seniors*.
Hawaii is beautiful! But, the humidity is a deal breaker. We're used to the humidity being at single digits much of the year. I run humidifiers in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Just out of curiosity I "Googled" the top 100 safest cities in 2021. The cities they list have low populations, which explains some of their choices.
https://www.safewise.com/safest-cities-america/
I noticed not one city in California. None more West than Texas.

It is tough to find a community with a decent balance of safety and amenities.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 11:09 AM  
Hsim

I noticed not one city in California. None more West than Texas.

It is tough to find a community with a decent balance of safety and amenities.[/QUOTE]

I recently moved to Healdsburg, CA from Long Island NY. I am 63 and my husband is 60. We are very happy we moved as my husband hates snow and I hate humidity. While it does get hot I do not mind it as much and it is cool in the evenings and mornings. I am sure there is some crime here (mostly theft) but I do not feel unsafe where I live. I often go out and leave my door unlocked if I am walking the dogs or just going to town for coffee.
It is much more rural here in Sonoma county than where we used to live but I like it and the town I live in is a tourist destination so there are plenty of coffee houses and restaurants and small shops. I also live close to several state parks and have joined a senior hiking group.
My biggest worries here are droughts and wildfires. We will see how that goes - if anything I would stay on the west coast maybe go up by Portland or Seattle.

Last edited by Hsim; 06-04-21 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to add before hitting reply
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 12:09 PM  
Jenn R

Come to Canada . I leave my door open all the time and I enjoy great health care And way less guns .
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 12:32 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn R View Post
Come to Canada . I leave my door open all the time and I enjoy great health care And way less guns .
Yep! I lock my door mostly out of habit, but I wouldn't trade living here for anything! Our universal healthcare is amazing, and I have never seen a firearm in my life!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 12:55 PM  
Jenn R

I worry more about the coyotes when I am out then the people. And I live in a city in Ontario
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 05:13 PM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn R View Post
That's funny! I was just about to say the same thing but didn't want to offend any Americans! I have lived in BC, PEI, Ontario and now Nova Scotia, all of which I have loved and felt fairly safe in (not as much in the bigger cities, like Vancouver and Toronto). I highly recommend this beautiful country! For the same reasons listed above.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, relocating, retirement locations, where do you live