Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-05-21, 12:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello All!

Nice to hear from horusosiris finally. I am surprised to hear you had a quiet 4th.... I was imagining a big family gathering. Maybe quiet was just what you needed! I hope things are settling down.

lavna, I agree with holding onto your appliances. Our friends recently remodeled and have a small area for a refrigerator. It was very tough for them to find one that would fit! I pre-ordered the band stuff. Were you debating about getting her bands, too? Would it help if I sent you the bands? I wonder if I could get it to you any cheaper.

kittybug & cataddict, those cat stories! Yikes!

Ah, so glad to know I wasn't crazy thinking about Brenda braking her hip. As I recall it was some sort of stress fracture or something.

manleym, those smoked red peppers sound divine, but when you described what you do with them..... I'm so hungry now! I'm going to tell my niece about this because her husband smokes a lot of stuff.

Vintage, that stretch looks pretty good -- I have it marked to try it sometime. The only instructor I "use" who is older than I am is my in person yoga instructor who is now something like 77 or 78. But I haven't been in person since the lockdown started and I'm not all that wild about going back now that I have Udaya and ID. But I do really like that woman, so I feel bad not going. Funny about ages.... when I started getting a bit older and began to have doctors younger than I am, it felt really wrong. I felt like doctors should be older. Of course these days I'm glad they are younger. I got very sad news about my doctor over the weekend. She died June 25. I have no idea how. She was young, a great doctor and a really nice person. She is going to be hard to replace.

kittybug, I'm glad you were able to try Firm it Up. I do like that one for something a little different for lower body. Kim, it's too bad you didn't like Slim Series but nice of you to share it!!

We had a quiet day yesterday. Worked on some outdoor chores. I heard fireworks after I was in bed last night, but impossible to see with the fog. Vintage, that's awful about your air quality! Wow!

Last night I did Caley's Vinyassaless Vinyassa on Udaya. I really liked it and like her as an instructor -- will have to look for more by her. Today I did Tone it Up -- the other 80 minute workout. I'm glad that's done.

Oh and how the dogs broke the hydrant...... it's not a big city one -- it's a decent sized pipe with a big opening for fire hose attachment and a big knob on top to turn it on. That goes to the ground where it attaches to PVC. The dogs were rough housing before being fed (they tend to go nuts) and one of them slammed her backside into it. And GUSH! Must have hurt her a bit, honestly. But, it was the PVC that broke as a result of her crashing into the metal pipe. Not sure if that makes sense. And I'm a native English speaker!

Hope people are enjoying a day off today!
Old 07-05-21, 02:51 PM  
Mickey12

Hey all,

Yesterday and today were spent doing yard max. We have a very large, very old ash tree in our backyard. Part of it came down on Saturday night so we spent time yesterday and today cutting the smaller branches off and hauling them into the woods. My husband started cutting the larger branches with a chain saw and our neighbor came over and is finishing the job for the larger pieces because he has experience cutting trees. He is taking the wood to burn which is a great trade for the work he’s doing, IMO. I love the ash tree and it has some rot in the trunk but still has tons of new growth. I don’t want the whole thing taken down just yet. My husband would rather just get it cut. It’s at the far edge of our grass so there is no threat of it crashing into anything if it does fall.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 07-05-21, 05:03 PM  
fanofladyvols

Kim that's an excellent trade for tree work. We constantly work on things in our yard but we're still going to have to hire some folks for a few trees because we know our limitations, lol.

Alta is that Debbie stretch on YouTube? Sounds good.

cataddict I have been very grateful for the ignore feature in the past.

Loved my low key week. Dabbled in Piyo and may throw that in again from time to time. This week I'm going to do kettlebells, core and dancy cardio..haha. Already did my kettlebell, core and mobility workout today. Going to do some CS later.

Waves to Kate, kittybug, manley, lavna, horusosiris,bee and Garrie.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 05:27 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Monday all!

Today was Slim Series, Shape It Up, one of the 80-minute workouts. I usually go heavier than Debbie but today I stuck with what she used, except I did go heavier on biceps. However, NO ankle weights for me. That's just more unnecessary stress on my back right now and some of that floor work is killer without it! Hoping I feel okay later...my back is still so tweaky!

Alta, our air quality was CRAP last night because it seemed like everyone and all their relatives were going crazy setting off fireworks. We stepped outside and the entire sky was lit up, like people were making up for lost time, but the sulfur and smoke smell was insane! We've been way too hot to open windows at night for some time now (grrrr) but I was glad for that last night, as it kept the smoky air out and kept the creatures a tad calmer.

Kim, one of the big pines near us came down during a haboob a few weeks ago, straight across the common area yard of our neighborhood. Thank GOODNESS it didn't hit any houses or crush any kids, but I'm sure there are a number of birds not happy with the situation. It took the yard crew forever and a few broken sprinkler heads due to driving heavy equipment over there to saw it up and carry it away. We've lost sooooo many trees around here, I am hoping they plant more soon.

Bee, WTH with your young doctor dying??? I'm so sorry...how awful!

Horusosiris, 27 years is serious longevity for any appliance! Wow, I wouldn't replace those either. Geezus, our former 11-year-old machines had to be repaired more times than I'd like to admit right now before we bit the bullet and just replaced every one of our appliances when the oven blew up. Yeah, I don't think appliances are now built to last past 6 or 7 years....planned obsolescence!!

FN2, I'm laughing so hard at your silly cat for not liking your new machine!! A couple of ours were afraid of some of our new appliances when first installed, but they got used to things pretty quickly.

FOLV, what dancy cardio you gonna do? Do share!

Hope all are enjoying the day off if you have it off. Stay fierce, my friends!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 06:22 PM  
horusosiris

Mickey- It sounds like you truly had "Yard Max." I love yard work but especially the results after everything is done. That was nice of your neighbor to help out and that he gets to keep the wood.

Kittybug- Yes, 27 years is a very long time! Our washing machine and dryer are probably not very energy efficient but I am keeping them! Sorry about your air quality. I hope that it has improved.

Linda what kettlebell workouts are you doing these days? I know that Lauren has had a few KB challenges. I usually just incorporate KBs into my regular routines.

Bee- sorry about your MD's death. Finding a good MD that you click with is so difficult. My primary care retired during the pandemic and I am still searching for one that I like. He and I had worked together for years and I truly miss him.

Have a wonderful Tuesday
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 09:46 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all,

Today I did Fun Fifth in honor of Chele and FINALLY did Kat's Advanced Step #10. It definitely was fun, although I'm not sure it was as advanced as her earlier advanced. I "think" her definition of advanced refers to choreography rather than intensity, and this workout was packed with good solid choreography that was somewhat tricky (primarily because she gives some moves different names than other step instructors I have done) but doable, at least for me. Sometimes I have a tough time hearing her cues above the music, which was good as always. Anyway I will always be grateful to Chele for introducing me to this instructor, as I have thoroughly enjoyed her workouts.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day but I'm feeling good this week so I may wait another day. I think 2Lazy's rotation is "easier" than the Cathe DVD rotation, but of course I think Cathe Lives are generally not as tough as the DVDs. It's a nice change of pace.

I think my mom held a record for oldest appliance. Her dryer lasted 45 years when it finally couldn't be fixed. It was porcelain and steel and weighed so much the guys who took it away could barely get it out of the house.

Kim, I like Yard Max when it isn't Hot & Humid Max, which is where we are heading right now! I agree with horusosiris, I really like the results when the work is done.

FN1, I rarely, if ever, use ankle weights for floor leg/glute work and my back is fine. I think I do so much other standing leg work that I don't need the additional challenge. There also seems to be so many reps of each exercises that it's well, enough for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh, we once had a cat who hated the vacuum cleaner so much that he went up to it when it was turned off and growled, hissed and spit at it then ran away. LOL.

horusosiris, I forgot to welcome you back to Cathe Live! I missed it when I was doing a Cathe DVD rotation. There are still so many I haven't tried yet!

bee, now it makes sense how the dogs broke the hydrant--you described the set up well. I was picturing a heavy duty city hydrant and your dog Krypto bringing it down with his super powers. After peeing on it, of course.

VVFer, also would like to know if that stretch is on You Tube. Can you recommend some other mobility type workouts? I really need to stop talking about doing more of them and actually do some and would welcome any suggestions.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 02:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hello all!

horusosiris
- They sure don't make appliances like they used to. We hate to replace anything. I remember Sears Kenmore products were usually good quality and long-lasting. And they would come to your home to fix it.

Some repairmen were supposed to come over and replace our ancient ceiling fire sprinklers today. We moved all the furniture and put things away and then they never showed up. Sigh...

bee - I'm sorry to hear about the death of your doctor. I had had several retire in the past few years that I had been going to for up to 35 years. It is so hard to find a decent doctor anymore!

kim - Nice trade! We have few trees. They all bend sideways due to the prevailing gale force winds.

FOLV - That stretch is part of Debbie's Body Dynamix set. If I recall correctly, some VFers had written to Debbie to try and get a VF discount as it was expensive. I don't think that went anywhere. The set was gifted to me by a VFer who didn't care for it. If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know!

kittybug - The air us much better today! Recently we've noticed we get a lot of high ozone in the afternoons.

cataddict - What does "Fun Fifth" mean? (One of these days I'll get caught up.)

Some mobility workouts I like are:
* Lee Holden 30-day Qi Gong Challenge, Qi Gong for Seniors, and Qi Gong for Joints & Bones
* P90X3 Dynamix
* Jane Adams Yoga
* Slim Series Cool It Off
* HasFit on YouTube has some mobility workouts

Workout - Yesterday, I did Lee Holden's Better Balance (long routine). It's a strange combination of hard and relaxing at the same time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 02:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Popping in briefly to answer VVFer's question.

We were loosely doing "Fun Friday" workouts, picking various workouts that some of us did on the same day. I missed Friday last week, so I created my own day of "Fun Fifth" for the 5th of July since I did the fun workout yesterday. So it's not a Watulan thing, it's a cataddict thing and most likely a one and done.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 04:41 PM  
fanofladyvols

Alta I think the Fun Friday is a great idea but we had some folks go on vacay, etc. Thanks for explaining the body dynamix...any chance this video is similar moves https://youtu.be/KSp0e13X94U?

It's going to take me paying more attention to making sure I do something I think is fun on Friday for ChelePA!

Today was PIYO sweat. Holy wrist strain I'm so glad I had my BOSU pods.

Waves to all !!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 04:55 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy....oh, what day is it, Watulans?? I'm all turned around this week!

Today I did Tear It Up from Slim Series, the other 80-minute long workout. This one is my fave of the set and a sweat fest. I'm starting to realize when you do these workouts back to back, which is a way I've never used them before, geez, they catch UP to you. I didn't pick up anything heavier than what Debbie used today and was still really feeling it. I hadn't intended to do these like in the Slim Training rotation where you do them day after day, but right now, they're the only thing that sounds good to me and I'm still dealing with back issues, so I guess I'll see where this goes.

I need a nap right now!

Last night husband and I went and floated around in the neighborhood pool before it closed for the night and we had it all to ourselves, which was lovely! I had hoped it'd be a bit warmer like bath water with our temps, but it was still nice, and my back appreciated it. Hoping to do that again tonight if possible. We used to do that in the SoCal desert at night, visiting the bathwater temps pool, only we had swaying palm trees and bomb-diving bats to add to the mix which was really cool! Yeah, we're odd like that.

VVfer, contractors who don't show up are the bane. of. my. existence!! And they never get called again.

FN2, I'm laughing at the vacuum story because I've always had cats run from the vacuum, but when Cheeto and Charli came along, Charli used to swat it HARD, repeatedly, and Cheeto? Yeah, he's just not right because he is the only cat I've ever had who runs towards the vacuum or simply won't move when it gets near him! What a pair.

Uh oh, our internet is getting wonky...better post this quick. Waves to all!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in