Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-20, 09:28 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Help! Sore butt......

Hey, I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for me. About a year ago, I was doing nothing but physical therapy for 12 weeks. I think I did something to a glute muscle, but then we also discovered my core wasn't as strong as it should be, etc. It was peeling an onion. At any rate, I didn't do "real workouts" for quite a long time. Now whenever I do any sort of lower body work, my butt is so sore that getting in and out of a car is incredibly painful. How should I work back up to doing some lower body workouts? If anyone has been through something like this, maybe you'll have some suggestions. Wondering if I ought to be doing non-weighted work more frequently.

Thanks......
Old 01-31-20, 09:52 PM  
bubbles76

I've never been through this exactly, but I'm thinking maybe doing less reps? For me, non-weighted or light weight work, like Margaret Richard, does way more to make my butt sore! So I think whatever you do, do less reps.

ETA: And stretch! I spend at least 10 minutes stretching just my lower body.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 11:11 PM  
Scorpio6

do unweighted donkey kicks, 10 each leg
then immediately do figure 4 glute stretches
do a couple times a day, not all at once
work up to 30 times per leg, all at one session
experiment to see what your body will tolerate, don't push it

another good stretch is lie on your back, cross R leg over body & L leg, try to grab R ankle w/ L hand and hold; then same w/ other leg

a variation of this is to start out like you're doing a clamshell but when you come down, lower your knee of the working leg all the way over the other leg and touch the mat (bed) w/ knee of working leg and hold. repeat several times. then same w/ other leg. This has helped me a lot, the "lazy clamshell" variation, and the hold are important.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 04:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

butt pain is sometimes referred pain from your back.

i injured my tailbone years ago, but in the past 10 years, it's come back. i haven't strained it or anything, but the left side of my butt and even my hip hurts from time to time. not to a point of being unable to move, but if i realign my posture the pain goes away almost immediately.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 07:19 AM  
Lannette

Are you still doing a lot of hiking? Uphill hiking, especially if you depend upon one side of the body more than the other due to mid alignment can set this up even though it may not flare up while hiking.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 02:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Great comments, everyone -- thank you! I wonder if Jeannine and Lannette are maybe onto something with it not necessarily about being sore muscles -- I went through a bunch of physical therapy last year uncovering a multitude of problems and maybe some of it is still problematic. I'm not necessarily doing a lot of hiking, but maybe I do have an imbalance that's bothering me still.

I think I will try Scorpio's approach, watch the rep count, and stretch! Although funny enough when I was doing PT he wasn't big on me doing a lot of stretching, just a little of specific stretches depending on what we were working on at the time.

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-20, 03:25 PM  
Scorpio6

bee -- P.T.s have to focus specifically on what they're working on bc they have to report back their progress to the doc. So they don't want to get sidetracked or add things on even tho you may need them bc they have dr orders to focus on something specific. If they can't show progress then they don't get any further business. Make sense?
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 04:26 PM  
Lannette

Bee, can you add some of your PT exercises back into your plan?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 07:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

try keeping a pain diary for a few weeks. look for patterns, cause and effect, other factors such as fatigue, sleep adequacy, repetitive motions, even your feet. then go back to your doc and see if he might prescribe more PT.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 10:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

You guys are all so smart! Yes, Lannette, I was thinking I should probably get back to some of the PT therapy. There was a lot of different stuff he worked me through.

And Jeannine, great idea to keep a diary to watch for patterns, etc.

Thanks again!! Off to do another set of donkey kicks and stretching before I go to bed.

Tags
doms