Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-12-21, 08:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all - I just came across this yoga channel on YT that I thought others might like:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MovewithMarcia/videos

The instructor is a PT and a yoga teacher, and she has lots of how-tos, mobility routines, etc.

Tonight I subbed the new yin class at the studio--it was fun but I hope to take the class, too! Tomorrow I am going to try to do a live Zoom yin class that is free for yoga teachers.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 10:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Barre3: 30 min strength/cardio combo
~MELT: Hips & SI focus
~MFML: Hamstring, Hip, & Low Back Maintenance

Sandra - Wow, that is still pretty hot temps in my book! Thank goodness for cool mornings! Thankfully we are back to our usual daily highs in the high 70s to low 80s.

Pat - We’d gladly take some rain, it’s so dry out here! My BF Elements set is a download and the sound is good, I can hear Alice quite well. I found the camera angles awkward at times & it was hard to see what Alice was doing. Not sure I’ll revisit any others in the set.

Beth - I hope your hip continues to improve. I agree that Alice is more engaging when she’s live. She’s also found her groove with the years of experience since Elements.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 07:57 AM  
cyana

Quick post and run -

Monday:
AM - 50 stability ball crunches and hip circles while seated on the ball - 10 rotations in each direction
PM - ETV: Miranda's Hips-Glutes-Knee Strength "workshop" (introducing their new 10 day challenge and explaining the importance of moving and how we get out of balance. I felt like she was looking right at me and telepathing "Yes - YOU - get out of that desk chair before your hips become petrified wood!"
7.12.2021 - live streaming Holden qi gong class

Linda - Hope you get good news at the doctor's visit today - fingers crossed!

Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 08:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I hope everyone is well. My day featured a long day at work and then a walk around the neighborhood.

My walk was eventful for rescuing this little critter running around in the street near the school. I saw house sparrows attacking something and a teeny furry thing running in circles. Noticing it wasn't a mouse, I tried to help it and managed to scoop it up onto the grass and out of the street. At home I find out it was a vole that I rescued, a lawn pest. Oh well, maybe I got a karma point. I think toxic lawns should be banned, anyway.

Beth, thank you for sharing Move with Marcia. The first class I spotted was "How To Do Corpse Pose," I like her already it!

Make it a great day everyone.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 03:52 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Yesterday I did Essentrics and today is an unplanned rest day.

Beth, thanks for the links to the Yoga snack for long walking and Move with Marcia.

Cyana, you're going to get an earworm of My Old School. A few weeks ago I saw a YouTube of the Righteous Brothers singing Unchained Melody and Loving Feeling and then I had an earworm of those songs in my head for a week!
That watermelon juice drink sounds wonderful.

Pat, I love feel-good "happy ending" movies.
I have never seen a vole in person.

I like hearing about all the different workouts that everyone is doing in this check-in!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 05:05 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Garrie - you'll make a great personal trainer. Once you get moved and everything is done you'll feel a lot better. My SO and I are thinking about a move but he doesn't want me to sell my house and his job is down there. He could transfer to a prison up here but the closest would be over an hour commute. I doubt that a move is possible but it's nice to think about.

Beth - yes it was your FIL's back surgery. I think he had debris he wanted removed and the dr didn't think it was a problem or something like that.

Sandra - your temps are now the same as mine. Meow and I sat on the hot porch this morning until I couldn't take anymore heat. She loves to be out there so I let her stay until she comes to the door and barks. I mean meows. Grissom taught her well.

Cyana - I got great news at the dr. The tendon isn't wrecked and the debris is minor. That's a lesson to let the doctor look at the reports and don't be reading things online. I told him the other shoulder could use a shot but I'm not telling him.. He said he wouldn't tell him either.

The doctor gave me a cortisone shot this morning. Full range of motion is back and pain is gone. I was told to do my exercises everyday until my strength comes back. Not working the same muscle groups everyday has been drilled into my head for so long I have a problem working shoulders with weights everyday. My SO says to follow doctors orders. Even PT doesn't make a person use weights every day.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 07:21 PM  
Garrie A.

Yesterday:
-Caroline Girvan: Circuit Series Day 2 (Upper Body)
TAUGHT Step class

Today:
-Kettlebell Goddess: Callipygos

Caroline's Upper Body Circuits was good, although I couldn't lift as heavy as in her Epic Day 8. She did three circuits of five exercises, each circuit done for three rounds. One circuit was chest/back focused, second circuit all shoulders, last circuit biceps/triceps. My shoulders and triceps were feeling it afterwards, and while I was expecting some DOMS I have none today.

I was planning to do Caroline's Leg Day Circuits (day 1 of her Circuit series), but I was running low on time. Since Caroline's workouts have no warm-up and I often have to add on a stretch afterwards, a 60+ minute workout wasn't happening (since I was pressed for time due to work). So on a whim I popped in Kettlebell Goddess and did the Callipygos workout (a lower body workout). I was craving kettlebells anyways. It was good for a short workout, although I wish Andrea gave more form pointers for some of the exercises (such as the box pistols ). To be honest, I don't know why this DVD is often recommended for those starting with kettlebells. Andrea only gives form pointers for some (not all) of the exercises in the "Quick Start," but for the workout she is mostly silent, breathing heavily, and on rare occasion she gives the form pointer or two during the workout. I wish she added a tips audio track similar to what Tony Horton did in the 10 Minute Trainer and some of the P90X workouts. Of course, I know form thanks to Anthony Diluglio/Beth Chamberlin (KB Way Volume 1) and Lauren Brooks (Ultimate Body Sculpt Volume 1). But still...

So I decided to get some things in Mary's sale: I bought Kari's ALC I and II, and I threw in Karen Voight's Full Body Stretch plus Lauren Brooks Shut Up & Train for good measure.

Linda: I'm glad you have full range of motion and no pain now. I also don't work the same muscles with weights on back-to-back days.

Paine: I like seeing what workouts everyone is doing, too!

Beth: I tried the baked oatmeal recipe you shared; it was YUMMY! Instead of chocolate chips I crumbled up a Ghirardelli 70% dark chocolate square. I also added some natural peanut butter. Re the move, I'm both excited and nervous. Hope your hip is still improving!

Sandra: Yes, Kari makes everything look effortless and doesn't make me feel like a klutz (even though in my mind I probably look like one, LOL!).

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 08:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Garrie, I wouldn't recommend Kettlebell Goddess for newbies - it's so dry and has so little form info (although I do still own it). I had a few tutorial DVDs when I was learning, and I watched online tutorials too. Sounds like you got some good buys on sale!

Linda, wow, you have a great memory - definitely better than mine! We were just talking after yoga class about how doctors/PTs don't always know what they are talking about (in this context, when they say to avoid yoga without really knowing what it is). I'm about halfway through the Pilates book and am definitely learning a lot! I always thought Romana was Joe's hand-picked heir.

Paine, I like happy ending movies too. Two of my favorite movies that are pretty quirky (especially the first) but have happy endings are Lars and the Real Girl and Pleasantville (the latter may be in my top 5, definitely top 10). Do you prefer happy ending books, too? If so, I'll try to think of some to recommend...

Pat, glad you liked that channel! I was about to do a practice with her today but then other things got in the way.

cyana, your post and runs always make me wonder how many people you are covering for at work this week.

Pam, yes, the hip is definitely continuing to improve; it mostly just feels a bit tight along the lower back waist on the right side now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 10:41 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Another quickie, busy day doing more reorganizing….

~taught Essentrics outside on the deck
~neighbourhood walk
~MELT: Rebalance sequence

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 07:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I had such a nice refreshing walk at the beach last night, it was thankfully cooler there. Because of the mist and lack of beach people there were more opportunities to observe wildlife. All in all:

~ Ten minute lower body strength routine on Obe (WW app)
~ Beach walk
~ Yoga Booty Ballet Abs 2
~ 5,750 steps

Garrie you're so consistent with those tough workouts! Enjoy your ALC treats. I was a huge Kari fan back in the day.

Paine, the vole was so so downy and soft. I hate to think anything that cute is a pest. I'm sure they provide a lot of meals for raptors, though.

Waves everyone!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
twisting