Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-21, 04:57 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Workouts that leave you feeling blah/uplifted afterward

Yesterday I did Firm Tortoise and there’s just something about that video that depresses me. It feels somber to me for some reason. I don’t feel inspired by the weight work and keep trying but don’t love the ballroom aerobics. By the end I had a good workout I guess but was feeling pretty blah afterward. By contrast, I love doing Firm Strength because everything about the flow and instruction just feels so great. Today I did Power Cardio and that one I find really uplifting, from the bright mansion set to Dale’s genuine demeanor to the steps that get me sweating pronto. Anyone else have experiences with the Firm or other instructors like this?
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 04:59 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I feel better/uplifted after I do Tai Chit Fit Over 50. I had stopped doing it but just started again today because I remember how it did make me feel grounded.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 05:21 PM  
bubbles76

I don't let the ones that leave me feeling "blah" stick around

The workouts that make me feel uplifted are Amy Bento's All Step Challenge 2 and Deidre Morris Tap Less Step More.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 05:27 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't let the ones that leave me feeling "blah" stick around

The workouts that make me feel uplifted are Amy Bento's All Step Challenge 2 and Deidre Morris Tap Less Step More.
Yes, I don’t think I’ll be doing Tortoise again. I hadn’t done it in ages, so I thought I’d try again but about a third of the way in, I was like, “Ah, now I remember this blah feeling from the last time!”
Old 04-28-21, 05:46 PM  
kristiep

I actually like the Tortoise (and the Hare). But I can see where you are coming from - it’s a more deliberate pace and the outfits are not as colorful. FIRMs that feel uplifting to me are Fat Burning, Cardio Burn, Vol 2, Vol 3, and Tough Cardio Mix.

Ellen Barrett’s workouts always feel uplifting and refreshing to me. I also like yoga videos from Rodney Yee and Zoe Bray-Cotton (Yoga Burn).

KCM and Cathe workouts often boost my mood because I feel accomplished when I’m done. And Michelle Dozois’s PeakFit program is so energetic that it’s hard not to adopt that vibe.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:11 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
I feel better/uplifted after I do Tai Chit Fit Over 50. I had stopped doing it but just started again today because I remember how it did make me feel grounded.
That sounds wonderful. I have zero experience with Tai Chi but I am 50. Would that be a place to start?
Old 04-28-21, 06:13 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiep View Post
I actually like the Tortoise (and the Hare). But I can see where you are coming from - it’s a more deliberate pace and the outfits are not as colorful. FIRMs that feel uplifting to me are Fat Burning, Cardio Burn, Vol 2, Vol 3, and Tough Cardio Mix.

Ellen Barrett’s workouts always feel uplifting and refreshing to me. I also like yoga videos from Rodney Yee and Zoe Bray-Cotton (Yoga Burn).

KCM and Cathe workouts often boost my mood because I feel accomplished when I’m done. And Michelle Dozois’s PeakFit program is so energetic that it’s hard not to adopt that vibe.
I was thinking I might like the Hare better. It’s been ages since I’ve done that one too but I think I’ve liked the warm-up and cool down from other compilation workouts.
Old 04-28-21, 06:21 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

The following workouts make me feel uplifted:

Les Mills Combat (Beachbody set)
Tracy Anderson
Country Heat
Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train

Yoga in general makes me feel blah.
Old 04-28-21, 06:28 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah O. View Post
That sounds wonderful. I have zero experience with Tai Chit but I am 50. Would that be a place to start?
This DVD is great because you don't have to memorize any sequences. It's all done in mirror format so you just watch and follow along. It's about 30 minutes or so. The instructor is like the winningest American ever in Tai Chi (while competing in Asian countries, I believe). So, he LEGIT knows what he is talking about. He put a lot of thought into creating a routine that moves and improves your energy. They have a testimonial at the end from this older woman who had to sleep in her chair because of all her surgeries/health problems. And, now..she sleeps in her bed at night and has been without pain. She is also one of the students in the background. You should give it a try!!!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:34 PM  
kat999

I actually really like the Tortoise (and the Hare), but I also get it. It's not bouncy and dancey, but that's also what I appreciate. There are some FIRMs that are considered "tortoise" that are more uplifting, like from the pink era there's one led by Emily that is mostly strength and stretch-based (it had several different names, one was "Lite" IIRC) and it still manages to be uplifting. I also agree that FIRM Strength manages to be happy without being somber, even though its pace is slower. The Tortoise is also not a particularly easy workout, and by using ballroom aerobics, the music is by necessity more classical in nature and less like the late '90s/early '00s dance music.

One thing I've found, though, is that lately when I get rid of a workout I'm almost always annoyed with myself because my body changes and I find different things useful at different stages of life.

Tags
feel good workouts