Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-10, 10:05 PM  
videofit

I always thought it would make a great Oprah show, similar to ones she's had in the past where strangers guessed your age based on your appearance -- hair, makeup, clothing -- except they'd show women walking away, so you couldn't see their faces, and people had to guess how old they were by how they moved. Maybe even dress them alike for fairness. I think it would be quite eye opening for most.
Old 06-29-10, 06:45 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnee View Post
Great story! I had the same experience with one of my grad students who is in her early 30s. She thought that I was around her age (or just a few years older). I'll be 48 in August. I do attribute it to regular exercise, how I dress and embracing a little "madness." Not to say I don't try to keep my weight down (darn chocolate creations of the world), but being "fit" has many benefits (including keeping me relatively sane).
This happens to me a lot too (at 65). I attribute it to the fact that so many New Yorkers are too vain to wear their glasses.

My favorite all-time complement (from a particularly graceless young man): " from the back you could be 16."
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 07:16 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Yes... I do think it's exercise that keeps us young(er)!

I agree also on the fact that it's how you move, how you dress... just how you present yourself in general.

A few months ago I was out to lunch with my 22 year old DS. We saw some friends of his who didn't know who I was, and they thought I was his girlfriend. (I am almost 54!) Granted they didn't see me up close as they were at a nearby table. I took it as a great compliment. My DS wasn't as pleased. He thought it was gross!
Old 06-29-10, 08:13 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I don't know about the metabolic rate, but anecdotally you always hear about women going off BC because it makes them puffy/fat/moody.

It has been many years since I was on BC, but I went off of them rather quickly because they made me mean. The women in my family tend to be on the mean side anyway, so when I found myself reacting in a way that was unfamiliar/uncomfortable for me both physically and emotionally, I dumped them.

I also remember being hungry all the time with them.
Sorry if those go off topic a little bit, but the pill makes me feel fat/puffy/moody. What other birth control options are there to help with regulating your cycle without these unwanted symptoms? And also to prevent unwanted pregnancy?
Old 06-29-10, 08:32 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
Sorry if those go off topic a little bit, but the pill makes me feel fat/puffy/moody. What other birth control options are there to help with regulating your cycle without these unwanted symptoms? And also to prevent unwanted pregnancy?
Unfortunately, there aren't many. Some of my friends report success with the Nuva Ring, which delivers the same hormones as the pill except at a lower dose (supposedly), and which you wear internally. I had better success with the mini pill (progesterone only pill- used primarily by women who are breastfeeding) than the combined pill (wayyyyy fewer side effects), but it carries a higher risk of pregnancy and you have to be extremely careful to take it at EXACTLY the same time every day. I went off of it eventually because over time, the side effects started to bother me. I've also done basal body temperature monitoring, which is very effective if done correctly, but it's restrictive and a pain in the butt.
neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 08:36 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
I'm not sure there is something other than the pill that does all of those things. I supposed there is the patch (I'm not sure what it does for regulating your cycle though). There are shots that you take a couple times a year, but I'm assuming those would be worse than the pill in terms of unwanted side effects. The hormones in the pill are what give you side effects, but I also think that's what's key to regulating your cycle. I've tried various pills over the years (I had to go on the pill because of seriously bad cramps), and I've found that some are a lot better than others. Also, some work very differently (with different hormone dosages) than others. So, it's possible you're tried one that didn't work for you?
I don't think I have weight gain from the pill. I'm thin, and the only thing that gets puffed up on the pill are my boobs (and only very slightly). I think there are a lot of pills out there now that don't produce the same obvious / inevitable weight gain that was always associated with the pill.
Old 06-29-10, 08:54 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post

My favorite all-time complement (from a particularly graceless young man): " from the back you could be 16."
Yeah, I'd forgive the clumsiness of the young man, too. What a great testament to your yoga practice, Sharon.

BTW, if your avatar picture is recent, you certainly look much more energetic and youthful than the 65 year olds I know.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 08:57 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Yeah, I'd forgive the clumsiness of the young man, too. What a great testament to your yoga practice, Sharon.

BTW, if your avatar picture is recent, you certainly look much more energetic and youthful than the 65 year olds I know.
Thanks! The photo is recent enough I guess -- I think it's from 2-3 years ago.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 09:25 AM  
Janga

Kudos, Sharon.

"Who puts the food in my mouth? God? The devil? I do!" ~ Jack LaLanne

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 09:30 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Well yeah Sharon looks good kneeling on the floor but can she get back up without help? THAT's the question. You DO look wonderful, Sharon. And no "for your age" needed.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ernestine shepherd, estrogen, fashion, menopause, menopot, over 50, perimenopause, weight loss