Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-06, 08:35 AM  
Gardengirl

Krista, I'm trying to remember exactly where I read that rebounding helps with bladder incontinence . . . maybe it will come to me!

In the meantime, the Needak site says . . . "improved core stability and strength of abdominals and lower back, stronger sphincter muscle (to control the bladder), excellent posture, toned skin and facial muscles." (I can't vouch for the toned facial muscles though - LOL!)

I used to jump with my kids on their large trampoline in our backyard when my they were small and always had incontinence. It wasn't terrible and I knew to always empty my bladder before bouncing or I'd be damp for sure. The problem continued when I got my Reboundair, but after having my rebounder for about a year now and jumping semi regularly, I don't seem to have the problem at all. In fact, I'd forgotten about it until this thread came up. So, don't give up rebounding. Just empty first, and keep jumping and see if those muscle don't strengthen!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 08:49 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Kegels, Kegels and MORE Kegels. Yes, they do help! I am 51 and "Like a Virgin,,,,,,touched for the very first tiiiiime", LMAO, seriously though, this is THE way to really help that problem. It is VERY VERY common in women over 40 and exercise, as with so MANY maladies, sure beats all the drugs they push now days. The airwaves are full of meds for this problem, because it is baby-boomer's time, you know? We are all hitting that age, but do the kegels instead of the drugs first. You can do them anywhere anytime so there is really no reason to avoid them.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 11:45 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
EVERY time you're having a pee, try to STOP regularly throughout, and to only ever allow a trickle - kind of like not going back to the floor for a situp, but maintaining SOME action all the time.
I've read that the 'stop the flow of pee" thing is good for finding out which muscles to work, but that you shouldn't do it regularly, because you can cause urinary problems. It's best to do Kegels on their own. (you can also do them while having intercourse).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 01:34 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I've read that the 'stop the flow of pee" thing is good for finding out which muscles to work, but that you shouldn't do it regularly, because you can cause urinary problems. It's best to do Kegels on their own. (you can also do them while having intercourse).
I've read that, too, Kathryn.

I would think Pilates might help since it strengthens the whole pelvic floor.
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 01:48 PM  
new2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
My doctor told me the same thing.

I had the same problem, but not just with rebounding...while doing jumping jacks on the floor, etc. It got really bad when I was really sick last October to where when I got a bad coughing attack I'd leak at work. I'd been seeing a Urologist who worked with me to try to fix it. First we tried medications, that didn't help, then we tried physical therapy where they teach you how to do kegels correctly (there really is a correct way to do them)...this involves stuff that is way more TMI than what you gave, lol. Anyway, in the end none of that worked but it was definitely worth a try for me. I ended up having surgery (very radical I know), but it worked and I can now jump to my heart's content!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 02:34 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Some Pilates instructors (e.g. Jennifer Gianni in Fusion Pilates, Lynne Robinson, and I think maybe Kathy Smith) do explicitly teach that one should employ these muscles when doing 'navel to spine'. So if you do your Pilates this way you're increasing the benefits.

BTW, I was thrilled when I heard a friend say that after just one session of learning and doing Pilates this way she noticed a great difference the very next day with her usual incontinence. She's in the antique business and is often moving furniture about but this time she had no problem whatsoever and then she recalled that she had had no problem when she had woken up that mornng either as she usually does. That was a quick result!

Tags
incontinence, kegels