Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-06, 09:00 PM  
benemma

Unfortunate problem with rebounding (TMI warning)

Does anyone else leak urine when jumping hard on the rebounder? I was trying to get to my Level 3 by jumping harder and it leaked out (not just a little, but quite a bit). Needless to say, it is a bit distressing and alot uncomfortable! I assume it is weak pelvic floor muscles from having two babies back-to-back. So, are kegels the only thing that help? If you don't want to publicly admit it (I have little shame in this regard ) feel free to PM me.

Krista

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 09:03 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

I guess you've missed the threads where this has been discussed!! Kegels are supposed to help but continued rebounding may help as well. This definitely became more of a problem after my 3rd child. I still won't do kegels though(I guess I'm lazy that way )
Old 06-08-06, 09:05 PM  
Gardengirl

I think rebounding will help. It helped me (and it's a lot more fun than kegels - LOL)!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 11:47 PM  
Mary09

My sister and several sisters-in-law have this problem. I think it's common. I wish I could help more, but just wanted you to know it's nothing odd.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 12:17 AM  
Helen

I recall being totally surprised to hear that stress incontinence is VERY common.

A close friend of mine is a nurse and warned me about it decades ago.
Her advice to make doing Kegels easier to concentrate on the action and to do them more often is:

EVERY time you're having a pee, try to STOP regularly throughout, and to only ever allow a trickle - kind of like not going back to the floor for a situp, but maintaining SOME action all the time.

Please try it, it's WORTH the effort! When mentioning exercise, I can't count how many women gasped at the thought of star jumps (jumping jacks) for that reason.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 05:37 AM  
shicks

I went to a kickboxing class at my gym and there were alot of jumping jacks and it happened to me, not just a little. I was embarrassed and it made me feel old. I was afraid maybe the class was too strenous for me, I was able to keep up cardio wise. So with Kegels and "more" jumping jacks this can go away?? I am 41 and have had two children.
sherry
shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 06:08 AM  
horsemom2

There are also many ways to up intensity without jumping hard like using larger upper body range of motion movements, light weights, focused muscular contractions (like staying lower to the mat for lower body side steps and/or keeping arms in a contraction) or faster energetic movements like football drills both low to the mat or with high knees tire drills.
just doing a gentle lower body jumping jack or jog while using the upper body differently can really up intensity!
When I jump hard,even on my softbounce ReboundAIR, my hip complains.

Barb S
who never has the problem but sure has sudden urges after workingout and drinking all that water!!
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 08:14 AM  
Ambermitch

Believe me, this is a hugely common problem. Some friends and I were just talking about it recently and everyone of us has gotten this problem since having children.

I can only rebound in the morning. I'm not as hydrated in the a.m. so it isn't as bad but I'll still have to stop at least 2x to go pee during a rebounding workout. I don't even attempt rebounding in the afternoon or evening because I'd have to wear a diaper! BTW, after my 2nd child was born was when I got this problem. I try to do the kegels but I guess I need to do them more.
Ambermitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 08:25 AM  
cbelle

this is the very reason why I stopped teaching and taking classes at a gym. It was beyond embarassing and doing MORE never helped my problem at all! I actually had to resort to wearing the Depends type pads (not the full diapers thank goodness) and even those didnt contain it all! Thank goodness I'm confortable in my own home!
cbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 08:33 AM  
antbuko

I've had this problem too. For some reason, when I was doing the TLTs on a regular basis this problem improved considerably for me. I don't really know why.

Tags
incontinence, kegels