Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 02-21-03, 05:04 PM  
fosterjo

Thumbs up You worked it!

A great wealth of information in one spot.....{applause} thank you, for your time and concern for all of us who are/or becoming Joyce-ites. This is so cool
fosterjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-03, 07:32 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Joanna, you *rock*

Thanks for doing this!
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-03, 01:37 PM  
NYJAN100

Thanks so much for this info. I really enjoy Joyce's workouts and I think that since she is not to pretty and seems so real she inspires me. Also, the length of her workouts is great.
NYJAN100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 11:05 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Hi, again :-)

I have updated question 2 of our makeshift FAQ with a bit more background on Joyce's publication history, and resolved the issue of her ceritification with some help from the Collage website. I have also more cogently outlined the 'pros and cons' that often come up regarding Joyce and her workouts:

2: What is Joyce's background? What is her personality like? How long has she been in business? What else do I need to know about her?

Joyce’s background is in writing. She has a PhD in English Literature, and says she got into body-building when she was writing for Joe Weider’s magazines and interviewing champion bodybuilders. She was writing fitness books for years before she made the move to videos, and nearly all of her videos are simply digitized retreads of her books. Of the videos, the following have book counterparts: Fat Burning Workout, Definition, Bottoms Up, Bottoms Up Gold Plus, Dynamic Tension, Bone-Building Workout, Gut Busters, Weight Training Made Easier, Bathing Suit Workout. The following are only available in DVD/Video form: Fast Forward, Non-Stop, Interval Aerobics, Easy Stretch. She also has a series of motivational audio tapes, several self-help books (Get Rid of Him, a ‘non-man-hating’ book and Look In, Look Up, Look Out, an autobiography/motivation book). The Collage Video website lists her as having ISSA certification.

Joyce Vedral’s first published fitness book was Now or Never, published in 1986. It outlined a 90-minute split routine gym workout that would allow women to put of heavy muscle. Over the years, she has changed her focus to shorter routines involving lighter weights to sculpt definition. Her first shorter workout guide was The Twelve-Minute Total-Body Shaping Workout in 1989 (the basis for the Dynamic Tension video) and her first short ‘split routine’ was The Fat-Burning Workout, published in 1991. Her most recent book was Toning for Teens, which was published in 2002.

Her first workout video was The Fat-Burning Workout in 1992, and she has produced videos steadily since then. See the full descriptions for more details on which books have companion videos and/or dvd’s and in what combinations.

Joyce Vedral has received praise for: having concise videos of manageable length, requiring no equipment other than handweights and a step or bench, offering quality book workout that can be taken to the gym, having a down-to-earth and ‘real’ personality, offering users the workouts she actually does herself, answering email inquiries from users of her programs, being accessible to the average person via talk show appearances, offering a selection of many programs in both book and video form, and having all of her videos quickly available on dvd.

She has received criticism for: moving at a very fast speed in the videos, not offering long enough rests to build muscle, not filming the videos with the weight she really uses, sloppy chaptering on her dvd’s, showing atrocious exercise form, frequently missing reps or counting improperly on videos where she works out alone, offering ‘stock responses’ and sales pitches in her emails, having poor customer service, having expensive prices and shipping charges, bad-mouthing other instructors or programs on her forums, censoring negative posts on her forums.

I have some free time this afternoon, so I might go back through the forum and see if I can beef up some of the thread summaries. I would like to put in more from the thread on Joyce's suitability for beginners, and I would also like to add an appendix listing video and book buying sources, links to Joyce's two message boards, and maybe a compilation of good companion videos to complement Joyce's programs. I won't post all of that here, but it will be available in the word file, which I will probably stick somewhere on my geocities site if people want to download it there. I'll check in later with an update :-)

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 09:51 PM  
Susan

Thank you so much!

Thank you for all of your amazing efforts -- it must have taken you a long time to compile all of this information, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-03, 12:05 PM  
slimandfit101

Thumbs up thanks for this wonderful thread about joyce!

Joanna,

I have gained so much info about joyce from this thread! If you have more rotations, please post them here as it will be a great help!

Dawn
slimandfit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-03, 01:32 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Rotations, coming up...

I almost posted this in the Rotations section, but in the interest of keeping 'everything' in the 'everthing' thread, I thought I would post here :-)

A. Modified Super Shake-Up Plan

This modifies Joyce’s shake-up plan so that you only are doing one tape per day.

Day 1 Bottoms Up Upper Body
Day 2 Bottoms Up Lower Body
Day 3 Non-Stop Upper Body
Day 4 Non-Stop Lower Body OR Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Dynamic Tension, First Half
Day 6 Dynamic Tension, Second Half
Day 7 Interval Aerobics or Easy Stretch (Optional)

Week Two:

Day 1 Fast Forward Cycle I
Day 2 Fast Forward Cycle II
Day 3 Fast Forward Cycle III
Day 4 Interval Aerobics or Easy Stretch
Day 5 Weight Training Made Easier Day One
Day 6 Weight Training Made Easier Day 2

Week Three:

Day 1 Fat Burning Workout Upper Body
Day 2 Fat Burning Workout Lower Body
Day 3 Bone Building Body Shaping Workout Total- Body
Day 4 Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Nonstop Upper Body
Day 6 Non-Stop Lower Body

B. 2003 Rotation

The rotation featured in Marthe’s success story on Joyce’s website.

Day 1 Bottoms Up Gold Upper
Day 2 Bottoms Up Lower
Day 3 Interval Aerobics
Day 4 Bone-Building Workout (All)
Day 5 Easy Stretch
Rest, then repeat cycle

C. Extra Cardio Rotation

Do both sections of the shorter workouts to work the whole body in one day.

Day 1 Definition (30 minutes)
Day 2 Interval Aerobics or other cardio
Day 3 Workout 101 (20 minutes)
Day 4 Interval Aerobics or other cardio
Day 5 Any total-body Joyce (20-40 minutes)
Day 6 Intervaql Aerobics or other cardio
Day 7 rest

D. Super Variety Plan

This plan requires 4 videos, in two sets of two. Feel free to substitute the ones you have---the pattern should be obvious. I'll plug in some titles to show you how it works.

Week 1: Tape A
Bottoms Up Gold

Week 2: Mix 1 with tapes C and D
2 days Definition
2 days Bone-Building
2 days Definition
Rest

Week 3: Tape B
Dynamic Tension

Week 4: Mix 2 with tapes C and D
2 days Bone-Building
2 days Definition
2 days Bone-building
Rest

Week 5: Tape C
Definition

Week 6: Mix 1 with tapes A and B
2 days Bottoms Up
2 days Dynamic Tension
2 days Bottoms Up
Rest

Week 7: Tape D
Bone-Building

Week 8: Mix 2 with tapes A and B
2 days Dynamic Tension
2 days Bottoms Up
2 days Dynamic Tension
Rest
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-03, 01:38 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

Smile Thank You!

I've been poring over this thread so I thought I should take the time to thank you all: Joanna, Deanne, Mandy and others (too many to name!) who have so graciously shared their knowledge of Joyce with us newbies.

Frankly I had been overwhelmed by the number and sheer volume of posts on JV recently so I just avoided the topic altogether.

Now this die-hard Catheite is taking the plunge tomorrow! Should be interesting!

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-03, 02:28 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

Talking Joanna,

You rock! You are a star! Thank you for all of your work on this!
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 11:11 PM  
Rookey

This thread rocks!
Thanks so much for your good info. I printed it out to refer to in the future.

Cindy

Tags
dynamic tension, everything, everything joyce vedral, joyce vedral, momentum, now or never, top shape