Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-22, 01:47 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

A resurgence of physical media...?

My husband and I recently acquired a turntable and have been enjoying starting and adding to our collection of vinyl by visiting a local record store. Said record store also sells CDs and, gasp, cassette tapes and informed us, which I confirmed by reading various articles online, that CDs and even some cassettes are making a bit of a comeback. Seriously!

All this got me thinking about workout DVDs and if that media would enjoy a resurgence as well? My husband pointed out that people are growing weary of the constant price increases with various streaming services and repeatedly paying for things they will never own. He himself has experienced losing digital music he has paid for when [insert platform or online backup system here] decided to change things up.

He has a point.

There have been so many workout releases in the past that I wished would be on DVD but weren't. I just don't gravitate to downloads and I have to limit my streaming subscriptions. I truly appreciate the few instructors out there that still offer DVDs and think those who offer both streaming and DVDs are smartly positioned for whatever the future holds.

Thoughts? I guess I'm hoping for workout DVDs to make a sort of comeback, but maybe I'm dreaming...hah!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 02:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i am in favor of keeping media that you own forever w/o any subscription fee.

i would be OK with downloads that you own forever.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 02:49 PM  
fatkat555

I’ve been on a dvd buying spree so there’s definitely been a physical media resurgence in my home.

I’ve done streaming, but something about not having the physical item on hand makes me not use them as much, ditto with digital downloads. It’s like they’re lost in space, out of sight out of mind.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 03:03 PM  
wendug

I definitely think there is a resurgence of physical media. Vinyl records are popular again, even CD's and DVD's as well. I don't understand the resurgence of cassette tapes because it is known that they wear out. Does anyone else remember the tape coming out of the case/ tape breaks/ tape melts/etc.?

I think part of the resurgence has to do with the huge swath of companies wanting to make money by offering their own streaming for television. My husband was just commenting that he wants to own specific movies because they have been removed from the streaming services we subscribe to. There are just so many streaming options right now (specifically tv) that it would be a huge expense to subscribe to all of them so we pick and choose which ones we want. There aren't as many options with music, but I suspect that will change in the future. Bandcamp was just bought by Epic Games, so I imagine their format will be changing. And we all know how many different streaming exercise options there are. It definitely makes sense just to own a physical copy of a workout. I don't know if there will be a huge demand for physical copies of exercise DVD's in the future as I don't know if there are enough people who would want it. We can hope, though!
Old 04-05-22, 03:16 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I definitely think there is a resurgence of physical media. Vinyl records are popular again, even CD's and DVD's as well. I don't understand the resurgence of cassette tapes because it is known that they wear out. Does anyone else remember the tape coming out of the case/ tape breaks/ tape melts/etc.?

I think part of the resurgence has to do with the huge swath of companies wanting to make money by offering their own streaming for television. My husband was just commenting that he wants to own specific movies because they have been removed from the streaming services we subscribe to. There are just so many streaming options right now (specifically tv) that it would be a huge expense to subscribe to all of them so we pick and choose which ones we want. There aren't as many options with music, but I suspect that will change in the future. Bandcamp was just bought by Epic Games, so I imagine their format will be changing. And we all know how many different streaming exercise options there are. It definitely makes sense just to own a physical copy of a workout. I don't know if there will be a huge demand for physical copies of exercise DVD's in the future as I don't know if there are enough people who would want it. We can hope, though!
I remember tapes getting eaten in the player! The record store owner told us about some young man who had purchased a cassette tape for $40. $40. I shortly thereafter found out that young man was the son of someone who works at the hair salon where I get my hair cut...and it was a Nirvana tape. I still cannot wrap my head around that, but cool?

I totally agree with the huge swath of companies and their control over pricing and content driving a resurgence because people are growing weary and want what they want, when they want it, without having to pay for it repeatedly.

Now, if only enough people felt that way about workout DVDs, right? Maybe there are more though that DO feel that way after this last couple of years when everything changed. We can certainly hope!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 03:42 PM  
fanofladyvols

From your post to the trainers ears!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 04:21 PM  
sherry7899

People are looking for cassettes. I had a rare cassette by The Replacements which I sold to a record store owner along with a bunch of other stuff. I can still play it, but since I never do I sold it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 05:10 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
People are looking for cassettes. I had a rare cassette by The Replacements which I sold to a record store owner along with a bunch of other stuff. I can still play it, but since I never do I sold it.
Hmmm...I have a Smiths cassette, a Bauhaus cassette, and an XTC cassette which I never play. I might have more if I look through some boxes, but I know I have those. I should look into selling them.
Old 04-05-22, 05:20 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Hmmm...I have a Smiths cassette, a Bauhaus cassette, and an XTC cassette which I never play. I might have more if I look through some boxes, but I know I have those. I should look into selling them.
Give it a shot-you never know!

Bauhaus is touring the US again-anything can happen!

https://consequence.net/2022/03/bauh...us-tour-dates/

It looks like they are skipping your area, though.

I saw Peter Murphy opening for the Church and Love and Rockets open for The Cure, so I have sort of seen them....

Old 04-05-22, 05:26 PM  
sherry7899

Vinyl has been popular again for years. A good friend of ours works at a record store and he prices the collections that come in. He purposely prices some vinyl for their dollar section so younger people who are getting into vinyl can afford it.

Tags
dvds vs streaming, streaming vs dvds