Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-21, 12:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Any GOOD habits you developed in 2020?

It's no use going on about the BAD habits we picked up in 20(good riddance)20...

Did you start any GOOD habits last year that you want to continue?

I've added more qi gong to my day and I think it is helping with stress. I'm doing Lee Holden's 30-Day Challenge.

I really enjoy watching hiking videos, whether on YouTube or elsewhere. They cheer me up for some reason and I want to continue with that. Hoping that someday this year I will be out there hiking, too.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 01:19 PM  
wendug

This is a very small good habit, but everything counts! I've started drinking a cup a tumeric and ginger tea daily. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm more of a coffee drinker and rarely drink tea. The tea is so comforting and good for the tummy!
Old 01-01-21, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've gotten back into actual meal cooking.

i started using my fitbit charge 2 this past summer - this fitbit was a brand new gift from DH from a few years ago! I've been getting up to move around, and the step count is a motivator too. it shows i get 10,000 steps per day, but i'm a little skeptical about that reading! to get that, i need to at least do a 30 minute walking workout of some kind.

i also watch my heartrate with the fitbit, and i'm especially attuned to the resting heart rate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 01:24 PM  
Karla25

I started gardening and planted a butterfly garden and have planted fruit and nut trees. I think it will help with stress, feed birds and make my yard nicer because of the shade. This was one way in which 2020 was a blessing to me. I never cared for my backyard, but now I have hopes and dreams for it.

With the butterfly garden, I was able to raise and release Cloudless Sulfer and Monarch butterflies. I’m hoping to plant other varieties of host plants this spring to attract other species of butterflies.

Getting into the habit of going outdoors each day to enjoy the sunshine and work has been so uplifting. It’s also helped me to learn about the importance of planting native plants and helping wildlife.

I highly recommend it to all :-)
Old 01-01-21, 01:35 PM  
rhbrand

I generally am getting about 1500-2000 more steps in during the day.

Of course chasing a toddler, we babysit our grandchild who is now 16mo old, and taking care of the horses have helped a lot with that.

But still, I'm more active, and spending more time outside in the fresh air and getting sunshine(sunscreen slathered on) and it has helped my mental health a lot.
Old 01-01-21, 01:44 PM  
Pam

I have added daily meditation and QiGong. At this point I would miss either one if I don’t do it, but for added encouragement I am going to do the daily color-in chart that listed the months that a VFer posted ( sorry, I don’t remember who, but Thanks!).
Old 01-01-21, 02:00 PM  
Gams

Karla, I love the idea of a butterfly garden! When I went to Ft. Myers on vacation, the butterfly conservatory was one of my favorite places, second only to my air boat ride when I got to see a manatee.

I don’t know if this qualifies as a good habit I picked up, but I’ve always been a big dessert person and recently I tried some different kinds of pop - orange cream, strawberry cream. I don’t usually drink pop and I’ve found that if I take a a swig or two of this pop after I eat, I’m not interested in cookies or cake or my Reese’s Take 5. I’ve even lost 5 lbs. I’m not saying this is healthy, but probably healthier than all the sweets I had been eating.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 02:29 PM  
Sollamyn

Earlier in the year, I had been walking outside nearly daily, which was an improvement for me. In the summer, while I did continue walking, I lost a little bit of time outside because of the heat, and then at the end of August, all walking came to end when I broke my ankle. However, I am anxious to restart my outdoor walking ASAP, so I think my good habit is still with me.

Since becoming involuntarily inactive, I've developed a habit of having my morning coffee in silence or listening to calming music, while looking out a window. It helps me to direct my thinking and starts my day feeling more focused and productive. I am hoping to maintain this habit as I gradually add on more and more physical activity (workouts) to my mornings.

Donna
Old 01-01-21, 02:56 PM  
Hsim

At age 63 I am finally learning to cook with the help of my husband.
Every Friday night I make a vegetarian dish which is a win for the both of us.
Hsim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 03:00 PM  
BunnyHop

I learned about bullet journaling and have been learning as I go. Read Ryder Carroll's book, took a ton of notes and watched a lot of videos about the various ways people use journaling.

Mostly for me, it's a matter of being persistent. So far, so good.

I've kept a 5-year journal for a number of years now, and this feels like a logical extension of that. With the pandemic, there's not a lot going on, but I'm learning about the method itself and that's good too.

Just today I set up my January calendar, and have decided to add little colored marks to each date to note when I do the stuff I want to keep up with like exercise, walking outdoors, meditation, etc. Even personal care stuff like a manicure gets a color. It seems like an easy way to just note the fact that I did each thing on a specific day, without feeling as though I'm cluttering my journal pages.

Journaling has also helped me track my sleeping habits so I can tell when I'm off schedule, what works for good sleep hygiene, when I've been entirely too interested in a book or other activity, etc. Just knowing there's a pattern to certain aspects of it has been a huge relief.

Tags
anxiety, habits