Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-14, 02:32 PM  
lorajc

Should You Work Out When You Have the Tummy Flu?

I've been fighting the tummy flu for a week and then it hit me full on yesterday. I feel guilty if I don't work out.

What's the call on working out while sick with a tummy flu?

Does it help strenghten the immune system or do you need all of your strength to fight it and should I rest? which is hard for me?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 02:47 PM  
Demeris

I don't know about tummy flu, but my rule of thumb during illness is whether or not I have the energy/strength. I do what I can. If all I can do is ten minutes of Joel Harper, then I do ten minutes of Joel Harper.

If I can't get off the couch or out of bed, then the only exercise I get is to go to the bathroom.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 03:03 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

I was googling this last week. full disclosure - I was sick & just wanted to find something telling me it was okay to exercise because I was just going to do it anyway. I found this article that said

At the end of the 10-day trial, the researchers concluded that while there were no differences in the severity or duration of the symptoms between the two sets of subjects, there was a difference in how they assessed their own cold symptoms. The exercisers reported feeling better overall compared to those who remained sedentary.

Also found this mayo clinic article that says the general rule is it's okay to exercise if your symptoms are above the neck, but not if they're below the neck.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 03:21 PM  
lorajc

That's what I've always heard, if you're symptoms are below the neck, not ok to workout....that's what makes me think I should give it a rest.

So hard to do though....I feel so guilty.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 03:31 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I just read something in a Team Beachbody article in Facebook that made a lot of sense. Basically the author said that the same systems that help you heal from a workout also help you heal from illness. By exercising when you're sick you are essentially overtraining as your recovery systems only have so much bandwidth before becoming overburdened.

I'd take a day or two off and then you'll be ready to hit it hard when you're 100%.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 03:31 PM  
sunday

My quick answer: No! I would never work out sick! It's not worth it. There are so many other factors that contribute to health and wellness, and one of them is rest. Workouts are not the end-all of anything. I just took four weeks off doing absolutely nothing and had no ill effects at all. A body needs rest, especially when sick.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 03:48 PM  
Bearybuff

I took 2 weeks off because I tweaked my back following bad kettlebell form (different dvd). I was frustrated because I have a goal of mastering Angie Miller's kettlebell dvd perfectly. When I restarted I was astounded that I didn't skip any exercises or pause the remote until the pushups. Couldn't do that before I tweaked my back.

Rest up. You might really need it.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 04:13 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
My quick answer: No! I would never work out sick! It's not worth it. There are so many other factors that contribute to health and wellness, and one of them is rest. Workouts are not the end-all of anything. I just took four weeks off doing absolutely nothing and had no ill effects at all. A body needs rest, especially when sick.
My thoughts exactly! I don't even work out with a headache, much less something serious like the flu. There are times when I am just mentally exhausted and don't work out. I do understand that guilty feeling, but you have to push past that and help yourself feel better.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 04:31 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
my quick answer: No! I would never work out sick! It's not worth it. There are so many other factors that contribute to health and wellness, and one of them is rest. Workouts are not the end-all of anything. I just took four weeks off doing absolutely nothing and had no ill effects at all. A body needs rest, especially when sick.
x2
Old 12-14-14, 06:10 PM  
clerkin11

Just last week, I wasn't feeling well but I really wanted to try a new Cathe workout. So, even though my throat was burning during the warm up, I pushed through and did the hiit workout with lower body exercises. I loved it and felt great for a while after. The next day, however, my voice was completely gone and the infection was in my lungs. Now I'm on antibiotics and I've spent the last two days in bed.
My advice is to rest or do an easier workout if you must work out.
I should've known better and stopped myself during the warm up.
I hope you feel better soon!
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise when sick, exercise with stomach flu, exercising when sick