Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-12, 12:38 PM  
daisysunshine

The End of the best Love Affair of my Life

Seriously, I don't even know what I can do

My two year love affair with Ballet Body and maybe barre, I have to say, is ending. or. has ended. I don't even know when I'll be able to do it again. I have a possible hip impingment (I won't be able to tell for sure I see an orthopedic surgeon) (it could also be that my pelvis is twisted and I need to get it corrected but I can't do that EITHER). at any rate, doing barre hurts my hip and really hurts my knee.

Doing yoga hurts my hip and my knee (well, ultimate yogi does, with all that great twisting and turning and holds and everything.... *sniff*).

but i am most heartbroken about Ballet Body. This. was. IT for me. I was finally getting small for the first time of my life, I was so strong and everything, and now my body betrayed me and I can't even do basics without being in pain and having to pop painkillers)* there is a BIG part of me that is really that I am going to e overweight and unhealthy for the rest of my life.

(okay. melodramatic Daisy). but basically now the only things I can do without pain is dance. (imagine the irony of this statement). So I can do Yoga Booty Ballet Dancing and that's about it. I can do some crunches. I probably can do some floor work (so I might do some Ballet Beautiful), and Classical Stretch works, I have to be VERY careful about my knee, but it doesn't hurt so much - but I am only doing season 4. most things else after that is like fast!

I am probably going to see if I can find that Debbie Sibers dvd the total body solution one? and just do Jill Miller (but I find that as AWESOME as her stuff is it's not oh I did it and woila i'm fine - she causes owies too).

*sob*
I don't know what to dooooooooooo...A world without Leah & Ballet Body in my life is sad.

*there is nothing worse than doms AND pain. nothing. it's like one world of ow.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 12:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Oh Daisy, I'm so sorry! I know how passionate you were about BB, but that is not good that you're hurting. I hope you find a good doctor, who can fix your injury, so you can begin healing.

The workouts will be down the road when you're ready. And, the world is your oyster! Don't give up hope. Maybe you can still do some of what you love at a slower pace? It'll be okay.

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 12:58 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

(((HUGS))) Daisy! I feel your pain (literally and figuratively). I have hip and (sometimes) knee issues, too. I had to give up on kettlebells and it was a real bummer!

There are other workouts out there for you to discover and enjoy. Get the diagnosis from the doctor and perhaps some physical therapy to get you back in the game. Please don't give up hope.

(P.S. The LAST thing I would do for possible hip impingement issues is Jill Miller!)
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:05 PM  
daisysunshine

Alta - thanks for the hugs (HUGS) back. I was thinking more about Knee-Hab. but I dunno.... I think I am going to do Classical Stretch and lots of it. I did physical therapy and the pain went away and then I exercised and heloo pain (which makes me believe that they just made the pain go away - not addressed what caused the pain in the first place).

Pam, thanks too.
I'm trying to see what I've GOT that I can do. I thought about Ellen (had and traded it all away), but she kinda bugged my knee too. Traditional Strength-Training (FIRM) is okaaayyyy is, but then it will not engage me so much mentally, it will feel like work. It just stinks that I finally found an exercise niche i fell in and really was doing well... and now I have to find another niche.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

Old 06-30-12, 01:23 PM  
Fidget Queen

Miss Daisy!!!

HUGS and I'm sorry. Believe me, I know how it feels when it seems as though your body has betrayed you. I feel as though I've been battling *it* for such a long time now.

I know the system is different up there, but I would most definitely get second opinions. I was in AGONY over my SI joint for months and months, as my doctor and physical therapist kept saying there was not much I could do, all while my PT kept hurting it more and more. I would walk out of her office hardly able to walk.

I went to a chiropractor ONCE and she fixed it. I kept going for maintenance, because she was awesome, but she totally fixed it, explained to me where my body was each day, told me what felt swollen, what she wouldn't do that day, etc. With my foot problem, I wish every single day that I could go see her :|.

I know you love videos, because, well, I'm an ultimate vidiot, too, but do you think you could just get some ankle weights and some dumbells and do routines that don't hurt anything? Maybe even write down every move you can and can't do and why. With my foot, I've been doing a lot on my own later... I won't say i enjoy it, but I learned what I can and can't do.

Karen Voight is *very* joint friendly. Do you have any of her stuff??
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:24 PM  
JustSandra

Awww Daisy, I'm so sorry you are hurting!

Do you think you can do floor strength work, e.g. Margaret Richard or Winsor Pilates Bun & Thigh Sculpting? Margaret usually uses ankle weights, but that isn't necessary.

Take care!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:27 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, Daisy! I'm really, really sorry.
You need to heal what's wrong and when you get the go-ahead, go on to therapeutic type exercises. I totally get how you're feeling, but Ballet Body and barre work are not the only style of exercise that will get you to drop inches, and probably not the only style you can love.

If I were you, I wouldn't think about Ellen, The Firm or any other videos right now. See what your doctor says and hopefully seek out more physical therapy. If Classical Stretch and light walking feel good then maybe they're safe to do but you don't want to risk hurting yourself further.

Take care, sweetheart, and let us know what happens. (((((HUGS)))))

ETA - Ironically, Callanetics was initially developed as a therapeutic approach to barre-style work (Lotte Berk) for people with pain and mobility issues. Now, so many of these barre workouts move so fact or overdo the reps (also moving quickly). Nothing causes me more knee (and sometimes hip) pain than the longer, more advanced barre workouts (Tracey Mallett, Physique 57, etc.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:28 PM  
gladgirl

Hugs to you, Daisy.
I, too, am in an injured place...an -osis, 2 -itis, and a spur in my shoulder.
Had to give up kettle bells, even dance cardio due to arm movements. But you are creative...you will find a way to heal and get stronger and find another love, or reconcile with this love. Be patient...you will find a happy place.

After intense spin classes at the gym, which I had to give up...I fell in love w/rebounding. I never thought I would be a rebounder. It never appealed to me. And yet, here I am...thankful and so very happy for rebounding. A new love affair...

Best wishes to you!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:33 PM  
Jags

This book saved my back/hips/knees

http://www.amazon.com/Esther-Gokhale/e/B002NXS2VQ

Per her recommendation I ventured into Samba. It was fantastic and really opened up my hips and low back.

(don't samba much anymore, but it is great fun.)
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:42 PM  
daisysunshine

thanks you guys!
Lucky - I actually DO have the Okay to exercise, I kid you not this is what he said.

"Well, you're heavy so just exercise as much as you can, and if it gets too much, take the painkillers, and we'll get you in the ortheopedic surgeon whenever we can, it might take a few months."

I've been in pain for a YEAR *wails*

I'll have to see about Margaret. She gave me wicked horrible migraines, but I doo love the floorwork, and I know that will help me get balanced (my physical therapist said floor-work = awesome). I know there's that buns of steel dvd, but I don't think mary has it in stock anymore.

i'm sorry if I'm whining. but you guys are awesomness.

Fidget Queen... I'm really thinking Im probably gonna have to do that. (I also have to shoot you an email!)

Sandra, gladgirl everyone else. *hugs*