Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-12-22, 06:12 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Oops, Manleym! I think I misunderstood what you're asking about Michelle...I think FN2 is correct. Sorry 'bout that!! Yeah, I think it's an online-only package you download or have access to or something. I wouldn't know anything else about it because I just want DVDs in my hands, thank you very much, hah!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 11:02 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

horusosirus - I had another, smaller hummingbird show up this morning. They are year-round here in SoCal. I hope to see many more!

I ordered the Saucony Integrity 3 Walker. They fit OK. I haven't taken them for a test drive outside yet.

Yesterday, I did all of Margaret Richards' Getting Better - upper and lower. This one fries my triceps more than any other workout I can think of!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 12:26 PM  
ChelePA

Not surprised the Sixes are out of the playoffs. I couldn’t believe they won 2 games.

Horusosiris…I’m the Yankees fan in our house

VVfers…must be fun to see the birds. I have to constantly chase some off our outdoor fans or they try to make a nest. And then I feel terrible because all their hard work goes to waste.

I know nothing about the Michelle workouts. My collection is limited.

Prom is tonight. Hoping the rain holds off until outside pictures are taken.

Peloton workouts included 10 minutes core. 10 minutes barre. 20 minutes legs and glutes. Bodyweight only. 20 minute Feel Good Ride.

Happy Friday!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 05:52 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I'm SO EXCITED....VVfer, I just went out back to take something to the garbage and saw Tux (we have named all the black-with-white hummingbirds we get 'Tux') looking at our empty feeders we haven't yet filled like 'Hey, woman, where is my food? Get on it already!!' Time to fill those things. I KNEW we should have done it earlier. One point for me, zero for my husband.

Today was Ballet Physique Signature Sweat, uh, I mean Sculpt. So hard!

My joints (elbow et al) are feeling better since incorporating more barre and yoga and not doing quite as much heavy lifting. Hmm...I'm sorta feeling like taking a break from weights and seeing what happens just for a bit. I think I recall Kate doing body weight only for a while if I remember correctly (??). Has anyone dumped heavier (or any?) weights for any significant amount of time, and how did that go? Just curious.

Stay fierce, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 08:33 AM  
ChelePA

Peloton workouts today included 10 minutes core. 30 minutes upper body. I tried the treadmill at a very slow pace to see how it felt. So much tightness and some pain in my calf because the way I’m walking to protect the outside of my foot. So frustrating but giving it time to heal. Finished with a 10 minute full body stretch.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 10:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

kittybug - Tux is ready for his chow! I see a few here and there. The minute I get my camera ready, they disappear. This is what I want to see. Turn up your speakers:

Hundreds of Hummingbirds at Bird Feeder! (in HD)

As for weights, when I am organized (which is not so much lately), I try to follow a periodization plan. Several months of low weight/high rep, then several months of medium weigh/medium rep and then several months of low weight/high rep. It helps with avoiding boredom and injuries.

Yesterday, it was 91 degrees out, so I did a 3.4 mile slow-speed hill walk.

Waves to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 04:49 PM  
manleym

ChelePA glad that the college tour went well and that your daughter is excited. It is hard at that age when your plans go in a completely different and unexpected direction. Hoping she loves it when she starts. And so happy that prom went well! Such a big evening for them!

Kittybug and Cataddict thanks for the feedback re: Michelle's workouts. I'm wondering how the dvds from the Peak 10 Challenge 10 dvd set is different from all the individual Peak 10 dvds that she released, some in 2012 - same year as the 10 dvd set - and some in 2013 and later. Maybe the individual dvds are harder? I have all the individual Peak 10 dvds, but not the 10 dvd set. Maybe like Cataddict mentioned, there's not much difference.

Horusosiris I'm going to be sad when IRON is finished. I'll do arms, abs, core on Monday since Sunday is my rest/yoga/or stretch day. What are you going to do next? I'm thinking of something similar to what Kittybug is doing and VVFer mentioned with low weight/high rep/bodyweight/barre workouts. Still have some Mark Lauren workouts to do.
Glad you added the PBS series I mentioned. This is the order in which I liked them: Thou Shalt Not Kill (didn't like all of the episodes, especially toward the end of the series, but overall liked the series), Ridley Road (only 4 episodes; based on true events; I had no idea this happened), Annika (same actress in Unforgotten, which we really liked), A Midnight at the Pera Palace. I'm going to add Atlantic Crossing that Cataddict mentioned. May start that tonight since we finished Pera Palace last night.

VVFer we're having record heat for this time of year. I think today is 98, or that may be tomorrow. Either way it's been in the mid-upper 90's so it's warming up. Our energy provider recommended setting thermostats at 78 degrees so there aren't outages and the system isn't overloaded. Ain't no way I'm setting the thermo at 78 when it's 95+ degrees outside. We set ours at 74 so think that’s a good compromise. Glad the hummies are getting active and are out and about! Hope more show up.

Kim have you recovered from vacay?

Bee are you with your son?

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 05:06 PM  
manleym

Workouts:

Tuesday: IRON Series 30 Min Leg Workout - Circuits & Step Ups 26 (TOUGH! GREAT! Used 6 risers for step ups, which is an increase from last time Caroline did step ups, so YAY) + PK ASAP Fitness Ab Lab + 6 MIN- Lower Body Mobility and Glute Stretch with Deanna Follow Along (Really liked; nice variations of moves; liked her)

Wednesday: IRON Series 30 Min Upper Body Workout - Antagonist Sets 27 (LOVED!) + Cathe 4 Day Split Kickbox Cardio Only Premix (WU, IRON, rest of 4DS KBox). Something ChelePA did recently inspired me to do 4 DS Kickbox Only, so thanks ChelePA! 4 DS is one of my favorite Cathe series and love the format of weights separate from cardio, and about 30 minutes of each. Maybe that's why I like IRON so much. 30 minutes of weights so it's easy to combine with a 30 minute cardio workout.

Thursday: IRON Series 30 Min Dumbbell Glute Workout - Iron Glutes 28 (BURNER! FLEW! Buns on FIRE; 5 risers) + Glute Ankle Weight Workout - Knee Friendly Pure Endure Day 4 (JELLO LEGS/GLUTES!)

Friday: Jessica Smith Walk Strong BF&HF Stride & Step (used 2 risers to increase intensity) + Have a Ball! (both good workouts, but will use as recovery workouts; I like Jessica, but haven't found a workout of hers I love) + Love for Your Legs Yoga Stretching Class - Five Parks Yoga (needed this after Caroline's killer leg day yesterday)

Saturday: IRON Series 30 Min Final Full Body Workout - Hypertrophy 29 (LOVED) + 20 Minute Sweaty Dumbbell Cardio Workout - Full Body at Home (LOVED! GREAT metabolic add-on) + Greet the Day Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga (LOVED! Nice for short, yoga stretch flow)

For those of you who do Caroline's workouts, have you noticed how she matches her timer, %bar, etc to the color of her outfit? Look for it. Love that detail. Just adds a feminine/girly touch.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 05:25 PM  
horusosiris

Today I read Suzanne Bowen’s post and it was very touching. She has had a very difficult time lately. She seems to be trying to overcomes some major issues and was “body shaming” herself. She said that the reason that she has not filmed many new workouts is because she does not like the way she looks and is not a size small anymore. I would share more of it here but this is what I feel comfortable sharing.

Chel- Yeh! Yankees! I am not at all surprised that the 76ers are out of the playoffs.

Vintage – Since the pandemic I have gotten away from periodization programs but honestly, they work the best. I generally follow either Erin Stern, Ashley Homer or Jim Stopanni for periodization. Hopefully Cathe’s new STS program will be a periodization program of sorts and 30-minute workouts. That is one of the reason’s I enjoyed Carolyn’s Iron program so much- 30 minutes! Tomorrow is the last day of the Iron series and I have no clear plan of what to do next. I may do whatever until I decide.

Vintage- that would be nice to hear and see that many hummingbirds.

Kittybug- I did a bodyweight only series for about 3 months. Now I just incorporate 1-2 weeks of body weight or add a significant number of body weight moves into my daily program. I did not lose any strength for the three months. Many people underate the utility of body weight exercise. When I was in the army, we did mostly bodyweight and suspension trainer exercises and I still use my suspension trainer several times per week. A few weeks back I recommended Mark Lauren for bodyweight rotations.

Manelym- Your proposed rotation sounds good. I may watch the series in the order that you suggested. Stay cool in your record heat. I sometimes set the thermostat for higher temperatures in the rooms that we are not using and close the doors. I agree that there is not much difference between the 10 DVD Dozois workouts and the individual Peak 10s. I have both and rarely ever use any of them. Michelle just does not do it for me although I am not sure why. I guess I just do not click with her.
Manelym- I never do the workouts from the videos. I do them from paper workouts so I have never seen the color coordination in Carolyn's workouts. Cathe does similar things in some of her series.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 06:48 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday, Fierce Watulans!

I've done CL #215 Total Body Blast with Step on the 13th and Ball and Michele D Cardio Strength 1 today. I did do Michele's Pure Cardio on the 12th. Cardio Strength required more modification. I also found them difficult, but I think that part of that is the strength segments use exercises that I would need different weights. Michele uses the same weights for the whole segment. Who uses the same weight for deadlifts as for biceps? Not me. Although I'm not doing deadlift anymore. Anyhoo, I wish the "modifier" would actually do useful modifications---easing up on the arm movements isn't really the modification I'm looking for---please show me some intense low impact moves!

manley, I'm revising my comments about the Peak workouts. I looked at Mary's site and her 10 disc series that is called Peak Challenge is the set that I have, although I don't recall the "Anytime Anywhere workout" and don't think that was included originally? The other Peak workouts that were released as single DVDs do use the same format (Bootcamp, Ascent, Climb, Peak) but have different exercises. She also does a lot of online stuff now and I "think" she has a Peak program that is solely online. So to me the single DVD Peak workouts are worth it, but maybe not the online version since I don't even think those are available as downloads.

horusosiris, yes, I'm so proud of my niece! She is very accomplished in her career and has also traveled all over the world. She is kind of a cataddict 2.0 in personality only and we actually have much more in common than she does with her mother. I'm lucky to have her as a niece. Re Suzanne Bpwen, I can only imagine the tremendous pressure that instructors feel to be the "perfect" size. Personally I am very inspired by folks that aren't the shape of "traditional" models but are exercising regularly. I would love for Cathe to put some of her Live folks in her DVDs that mirror "real people."

TweenerW and FN1, I am so darn envious of your hummers. We haven't seen a single one, and not only do we have a feeder out, but we have flowers that supposedly attract them. Yes, try and get some pictures! TweenerW, hope you like your new Saucony shoes. It stinks when a brand discontinues a model or changes it so much that it's no longer a favorite.

You all have me thinking I need to be less random with my workout plan. I think that I have been dealing with physical issues and am still trying to figure out what exercises are okay for me to do. I can see doing a periodization schedule of a sort. I don't know that heavy weights are in my future as I have to be mindful of the compression on my spine which kind of limits the use of a barbell that would facilitate heavier weights. I guess I just need to choose weights that are the heaviest I can manage safely.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in