Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-22, 12:47 PM  
Lorelai

Let's talk non-scale victories

Today I woke up to a potentially devastating issue with my husband's semi truck (potential engine rebuild type of issue which is $$$). Instead of retreating to old habits, I channeled my anxiety into something productive, working out! I tried Jessica Smith's YouTube "Barre for Beginners" (this is hard if you're out of shape but as with many of Jessica's workouts, still approachable) and finished with an old friend, "Barefoot Fusion Walk." I feel great! I just got word that it turned out to be a frozen air system (which upon starting or trying to start sounded like a blown piston). I'm super grateful that's all it is! I'm also celebrating my non-scale victory, especially because it demonstrates an encouraging mental shift for me that makes me feel like this time I'll be able to achieve what I've lacked before in CONSISTENCY.

What is your favorite recent non-scale victory?

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 05:40 PM  
buffmama

I can do walk outs without wobbling side to side. Small victory that makes me happy. I say celebrate them all!
Old 01-24-22, 06:02 PM  
Leonana

Those are awesome victories!

My husband is an independent contractor with moving companies. He drives a bobtail or a van now, but he’s driven tractor trailers in the past. I can completely relate to the stress of vehicle repairs!

My victory is a short workout today. I’ve been sick with the virus (just cold symptoms fortunately) the past two weeks, and finally feeling up to working out.
Old 01-24-22, 07:10 PM  
Gams

This may not be completely on topic, but for the last couple weeks I’ve been stressing BIG time and I know it’s not good for me physically. Our temps have been below zero a lot - supposed to get down to -20 tonight. I have a propane furnace. I ordered propane a couple weeks ago but they told me they were really behind and weren’t sure when they could get to me. Every night I went to sleep afraid I might run out of propane and had even started gagging when I ate or brushed my teeth. Saturday I was staring out the living room window willing the propane truck to show up and sure enough they did! I wanted to drop to the ground and kiss the guy’s feet I was SOOO happy. Saturday night I slept like a rock. If feels so good to not have that tightness in my chest. And just so you know, I did not wait until the last second to order propane. They won’t take an order if you are at 40% or above - when I called I was at 38%. And I have to get my propane from this particular company because I lease my tank from them. There is my non scale victory and I feel SOO good!!!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 07:32 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
This may not be completely on topic, but for the last couple weeks I’ve been stressing BIG time and I know it’s not good for me physically. Our temps have been below zero a lot - supposed to get down to -20 tonight. I have a propane furnace. I ordered propane a couple weeks ago but they told me they were really behind and weren’t sure when they could get to me. Every night I went to sleep afraid I might run out of propane and had even started gagging when I ate or brushed my teeth. Saturday I was staring out the living room window willing the propane truck to show up and sure enough they did! I wanted to drop to the ground and kiss the guy’s feet I was SOOO happy. Saturday night I slept like a rock. If feels so good to not have that tightness in my chest. And just so you know, I did not wait until the last second to order propane. They won’t take an order if you are at 40% or above - when I called I was at 38%. And I have to get my propane from this particular company because I lease my tank from them. There is my non scale victory and I feel SOO good!!!
I believe you! In some places they are really rationing it out too which is alarming for people who completely rely on it. We've always had some radiant space heaters just in case we need to supplement. I'm so glad you got it taken care of! A few years ago we couldn't afford to fill our tank and I was always so paranoid we'd run out.

Fabulous non-scale victories everyone!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 09:52 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for sharing these victories, everyone! They’re great to read!

My victory: today’s rowing session was my all-time longest (only 25 minutes, lol) and my most meters. However, my hands felt great afterwards (working on gently acclimating my hands - callouses vs blisters) despite sweating a lot. And my back felt good, so I was keeping decent enough form. I was pretty happy.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:46 PM  
Mickey12

I'm celebrating getting my legs back into better looking shape. I always had a nice hamstring sweep and after an injury in August, I lost the muscle tone I had previously. The past few weeks I noticed that it's coming back. At 56 years old, I'm pretty happy about that since I wasn't sure it would return.
Old 01-25-22, 01:12 PM  
tiletha444

I work at a school, and to say "being an educator during the pandemic has been stressful" is an understatement. On top of that, I lost my baby sister and father in law within 3 months of each other. 2021 was not a good year!

I've really been working on my mindset and slowly digging myself out of this mental "hole" I've found myself buried in... I'm focusing on self-care and things I can do to manage stress, which includes exercising again.

The last few days, I've been going for a walk during my lunch. I use the wireless ear buds my husband gave me for Christmas and just block out all the noise while listening to some favorite songs. I feel SO much better! Nothing strenuous -- just a nice walk that creates the mental break I need during the day. My goal is to turn this into a daily self-care habit.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 12:00 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I'm celebrating getting my legs back into better looking shape. I always had a nice hamstring sweep and after an injury in August, I lost the muscle tone I had previously. The past few weeks I noticed that it's coming back. At 56 years old, I'm pretty happy about that since I wasn't sure it would return.
I’ve always suffered from hamstring envy. Mine are almost nonexistent and no matter how strong I am don’t really make an appearance.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:46 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiletha444 View Post
I work at a school, and to say "being an educator during the pandemic has been stressful" is an understatement. On top of that, I lost my baby sister and father in law within 3 months of each other. 2021 was not a good year!

I've really been working on my mindset and slowly digging myself out of this mental "hole" I've found myself buried in... I'm focusing on self-care and things I can do to manage stress, which includes exercising again.

The last few days, I've been going for a walk during my lunch. I use the wireless ear buds my husband gave me for Christmas and just block out all the noise while listening to some favorite songs. I feel SO much better! Nothing strenuous -- just a nice walk that creates the mental break I need during the day. My goal is to turn this into a daily self-care habit.
I'm so sorry for your losses and work stress, tiletha. I hope 2022 is a better year for you; it sounds like you're on the right path to making it a healthy one -- physically and mentally.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote