Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-20, 09:43 AM  
Libby

Foot pain

What do you do when you have pain/irritation on the bottom of your foot? It just started recently. I like to try self help measures before I go to the doc. I had plantar fasciitis years ago but this feels a little different. Going to try stretching and doing foot rehab exercises. I've been able to do that for other areas of the body and avoid having to go to the doctor.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 10:25 AM  
alisoncooks

I self-treat, mostly. I have a YouTube playlist of foot-related, rehab/yoga videos that I work through. I try to do foot massage (ball) and stretch as often as possible.

Here's my playlist: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...8QeQiZ6CQ7kDyt
(That should work; I just changed it from private to unlisted...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 11:52 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i roll my foot on a golf ball. you can control the pressure on the ball by either sitting on a chair with your foot on it or standing up and putting more weight on the ball.

i also have a spikey ball too that feels good. the diameter is maybe the size of a baseball.

while seated on a chair, you can also roll, bend, flex, and separate the toes of your foot on the floor. once you've mastered that, stand near a wall or chair and do the same moves in the standing position, alternating the working foot with your other foot.

from there, using both feet, slowly and deliberately rise up on tip-toes and back down, and perhaps all the way on your heels with toes lifted up toward the ceiling (like a rocking motion).

also - spend 15 min or more laying down with your feet on top of the bed or a chair.

you can massage your feet with your hands using lotion, or have a family member give you a foot massage. it's easy to forget that the foot has so many muscles that need TLC.

i have these shiatsu slippers that i bought from a Japanese store - i walk around with those on. i also use yoga toes while sleeping.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 12:10 PM  
Libby

Great ideas! Thank you for posting!

Thank you for the great suggestions!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 08:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

A few more thoughts:
  • take a look at the shoes you are wearing
  • lacrosse balls are fabulous for rolling your feet
  • wear toe stretchers while you have your feet raised

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot pain