Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-20, 09:41 AM  
Libby

Cross Training vs Running shoes

I've been searching online for cross-training shoes but they aren't as easy to find as they used to be. I don't run. I just do indoor aerobics and some weight work in my living room on carpet. Do I really need cross training shoes or would running shoes work? I've always purchased cross-training shoes. My feet are telling me it's time to get a new pair.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 10:09 AM  
kristiep

I have to wear cross trainers for my workouts. If I wear running shoes, I end up with shin splints and ankle pain. My favorite brand is Ryka Influence. You can still find them online, but the prices are higher now. I like them because they are great for lateral movements and are good for different cardio workouts, including step. The Influence has decent cushioning.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 10:42 AM  
laurajhawk

Another option is trail runners. They provide more lateral stability, which is useful for indoor workouts. I like Salomon trail runners.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 12:23 PM  
antbuko

Libby, they don't always call them cross trainers. Did you try other search terms, like fitness or studio shoes?
Old 09-13-20, 12:52 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I was also going to suggest trail running shoes, though nowadays I just use them for trail walking and do barefoot workouts. I've never been a runner. But I found the trail running shoes to have a good combination of stability, support and cushioning.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 01:22 PM  
Izzy

I used to work for an athletic shoe chain. There is a big difference between running and cross trainers. Cross trainers will give you support for side to side movement like inside aerobics. Running shoes give you a more forward movement support. I always thought if you are on your feet all day a cross trainer is better. They told me no. Overall running shoes have way more support and cushion.

I would go to one of the athletic shoe stores to get recommendations. I also suggest if you can go during the week and during the day. That is when the staff who are the most knowledgeable work. These stores really train full time staff to know their shoes. When I first started I was stunned by their knowledge. I learned so much from them. Like other parts of our body our feet are different. There is no one size fits all. More professional experts find their shoe and rarely deviate.
Old 09-13-20, 01:25 PM  
Libby

No, I've never heard of studio shoes or fitness shoes. Will have to search for that. thanks!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 02:05 PM  
sherry7899

Ryka has plenty of cross trainers. You can probably find better prices on other sites, though:

https://www.ryka.com/womens-shoes/tr...sort=relevancy

They have some on Zappos. They have free shipping both ways. That way you can figure out which ones you like.

https://www.zappos.com/ryka-xt

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 03:25 PM  
muggle

I agree about running shoes. I used to get cross trainers all the time. I then bought running shoes and the cushioning around the ankle and heel are excellent. But you have to try them on, hop up and down etc. As previously said...everyone’s feet are different.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 03:44 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

You could try volleyball shoes also. They have great cushioning and nice support for lateral movement too. A lot of brands carry a line of volleyball shoes so I won’t hype one over the other.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, workout shoes