Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 07-25-14, 11:33 AM  
Sissy B

I think Joyce's Weight Training Made Easy is her most complete book. She includes 4 different plans depending on what your current goals are. Like others, at one time I had several of Joyce's books. I went through them several years ago and what I ended up keeping was:

Weight Training Made Easy
Definition
The Bathing Suit Workout
- great for floorwork

I found these gave me all of her basic exercises and plans without overlapping too much. I also had Bottoms Up and Fat Burning Workout at one time and all that info is basically found in the other three books that I kept.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 11:38 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I noticed that Collage has many of Joyce's DVD's now.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 02:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I've been studying and taking notes from this thread. i have been collecting Joyce's books over the past year or so and i have practically all of her books.

My post here is to document the book workout durations, as quoted by Joyce.

i'm quoting this from her Definition book, page 250, regarding the books published up until Definition (1995) was released.

Quote:
In review, here is the list of my exercise books according to length of workout, from shortest to longest - from least muscle-building to most muscle-building.
  1. The 12-minute Total-Body Workout - 12 minutes every day.
  2. Definition - 15 min, 6 days/week; or 30 min, 3 days/week (see Note 1 below)
  3. Fat-Burning Workout - 20 min, 4-6 days/week
  4. Bottoms Up! - 30 min, 4-6 days/week; if you take no rests, 20 min
  5. Now or Never - 60-90 min, 4-6 days/week (if you shorten the rests, 40 min.
i've only done Definition from the book, and it took me around 35 min to do around 3 muscle groups (each of the 9 muscle groups have 4 moves), but that's because i was constantly referring to the book. i think if i followed Mandy's suggestions of putting the pictures on the wall and having my weights close by, i could finish it in the time Joyce describes.

Note 1) in the Definition book, page 187-188, Joyce summarizes the names of the 36 moves, and then lists estimated durations as follows:

15 Minute workout:
Day 1: do muscle groups 1-4
Day 2: do muscle groups 5-9

30 Minute workout:
Day 1: Do muscle groups 1-9
Day 2: Rest or do any aerobic activity

given that Joyce even underestimates her DVD workout durations, i would guess that the book workout durations could be longer. =)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 08:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

It can take longer, especially if you use heavier weights. She uses light weights in the DVDs. I prefer the paper workouts. They are solid gym style workouts and I tend to like the upper body ones the best. Sometimes I will switch out Cathe or Margaret Richard for lower body. Definition and The Fat Burning Workout were some of my favorites, also Bottoms Up.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:33 PM  
Betty Boop

Thanks for reviving this thread. I found my Bone-Building Body-Shaping book and have decided to start using it again.

Tags
dynamic tension, everything, everything joyce vedral, joyce vedral, momentum, now or never, top shape