Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-12, 12:19 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Whenever I have had pain somewhere like in the hip or knee, I rested it completely until the pain went away. Sometimes it took several months of rest, but eventually, the pain went away. After the pain was gone, I started exercising again.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 12:36 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

daisy, I only had time to scan the thread b/c I'm packing so sorry if I'm redundant. But if you want to borrow Debbie's DVD and try it before you pay for it (it's not cheap) pm me your address and I can mail it next week. Also, for hip pain, Essentrics Flexibility for Athletes did wonders for me.

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 01:48 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Hi Daisy,
You are welcome to my Jill Miller KneeHab DVD for a long term loan. Also, I highly recommend Katy Bowman's Knees and Hips DVD. Check out her website and blog https://www.alignedandwell.com/ as there is plenty of information and video instruction to get you started. Also, her foot pain book will help knees and hips, maybe you can get it from your library? The great thing about Katy's stuff is it changes your movement patterns to correct the cause of pain as opposed to just being exercises for symptom relief.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 02:13 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle* View Post
Hi Daisy,
You are welcome to my Jill Miller KneeHab DVD for a long term loan. Also, I highly recommend Katy Bowman's Knees and Hips DVD. Check out her website and blog https://www.alignedandwell.com/ as there is plenty of information and video instruction to get you started. Also, her foot pain book will help knees and hips, maybe you can get it from your library? The great thing about Katy's stuff is it changes your movement patterns to correct the cause of pain as opposed to just being exercises for symptom relief.Danielle
FYI, KNEEHAB made my knees more sore, so go slowly and be careful with that. YMMV.

I've been wanting to try Katy's Knees/Hips DVD. I really like her Gaiam video for bones.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 02:57 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

I don't do Ballet Body, even though I tried a few years back, but this thread makes me a little sad. I loved reading your posts and reviews with such unabashed enthusiasm, Daisy. I remember having to give up heavy lifting for awhile because of constantly injuring my trap muscle. While the pain can be excruciating, I always felt the pain of having to give up something you love hurts just a little more.

Once things get better for you, physically, I hope you can find something else that you love with the same amount of vigor and enthusiasm. *Hugs*

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 03:01 PM  
faith458

I'm so sorry Daisy. I stopped doing barre two years ago when I developed plantar fasciatis. The ballet body workouts seemed to make it worse. I'm trying TA now.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 03:03 PM  
ellenalesa

Try Orthobionomy

Hi Daisy,

I just wanted to share something that worked for me. I am not a practitioner of OB and I don't get anything for promoting the work.

Ortho bionomy is a modality of body work that helps to realign you. The practitioner will gently move you into gentle positions and somehow this sends messages to your central nervous system to release. I don't think I am explaining it very well.

I was in a bad car accident in 2010. My pelvis was twisted and I had a huge lordotic curve (like swayback). I couldn't wear any kind of heel. I went to a chiropractor and physical therapists and they eased the pain somewhat but I was still using a lot of Advil and had to wear flat shoes. I had 2 or 3 sessions of OB and I am so much better. I still have to be careful of my back, but I can wear heels now without pain (although I don't stand around in them like I used to - but before, I couldn't wear even the tiniest heel for even 5 minutes).

I hope you can find a practitioner near you. You might try their website:
www.ortho-bionomy.org/.

I really hope this helps.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 12:33 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Ortho-bionomics sounds a lot like Hanna Somatics, which is another gentle system that focuses on regaining alignment and range of motion, and ending usually unconscious habits the body gets into that produce chronic pain. http://www.essentialsomatics.com/ind...atics-book-dvd I use the lower body flexibility exercises a couple of times a week.

A twisted pelvis most certainly leads to knee pain. I injured my SI joint in a fall about 25 years ago, and afterward suffered with intense pain for almost a year. I got chiropractic treatment and my symptoms were completely relieved in a couple of months. Since then I can go quite some time without problems, but when I start feeling pain in my hip and knee, a chiropractic adjustment puts me right. I know some people have very strong feelings against chiropractic, but for many musculoskeletal problems they are safe, non-invasive and effective.

I also had an orthopedist tell me that they could do nothing because my x-rays were normal. Definitely look into other modalities.

Re water: are you scared to get into water even if your feet are on the bottom? Because you can get a great workout without ever going into water more than waist deep.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 08:09 AM  
daisysunshine

Jennifer - yeah. Its so weird, like it even bugs me if I'm at knee length. the two drowning incidents really really freaked me out. (it really is sad because i LOVE the idea of swimming and water).

I have to insist that my doctor gives me a chiropractor prescription, because anything will work. right now I am doped up on painkillers and tyneol 3.

Thanks you guys for the offers of borrowing dvds. I'll think about taking your offer. (after my flood, I am loathe to borrow people's belongings in case something happens to it).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 05:37 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
Jennifer - yeah. Its so weird, like it even bugs me if I'm at knee length. the two drowning incidents really really freaked me out. (it really is sad because i LOVE the idea of swimming and water).
I actually just learned to swim a couple years ago and am still a little nervous in water. Thankfully, I have only had good experiences with my adult swimming classes, but when I have a decent swim or water exercise session I feel like I conquered the world even though it is very gentle on the body. You might have better experience with a new instructor (and especially one that that is aware of your past experiences) as think there was someone in one of my classes that had a similar experience with swimming classes in the past. I was really nervous and first learned in the shallow end where I could stand and touch the bottom if I felt I needed to (at first) and I started with strokes I could do without putting my face in the water. Of course it may be too stressful to take up while nursing another injury. Some water exercises are in the shallow end of the pool and can be a good way to get use to the feeling of being in the water. The deep water classes generally involve wearing a flotation belt that would usually keep you floating with your head and shoulders above the water, but it is a slightly scary feeling before you are not use to the feeling of floating (I found it to be anyway). So they might be a possibility on a day when you feel brave. Just saying there are options, in case you want to try in the future.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote