Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-11, 11:19 AM  
Piper
VF Supporter

You all got me into such an "Ellen-mood" after reading your discussions that I did Barefoot Cardio yesterday. After I finished my workout, I got the mail and inside was my package from Mary with Power Fusion in it! I can't wait to try it today!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 02:26 PM  
moonbeam31

woo-hoo! Let us know how you like it!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 02:44 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I think I'm going to just have to come to the realization that --despite my best efforts-- I just don't mesh with Ellen.

I think she's lovely, she's encouraging, she's graceful and realistic in her physique. I like the idea of fusing the elements of toning, yoga, pilates, barre.... and I enjoy WATCHING her workouts.

I just don't dig doing them.
I have owned every single one of her workouts. Every. Single. One. (and some -- multiple times!)
I have parted with them all. I told myself that this one would be different....but alas, I made it 10 min. into the workout before I started checking the clock (even though her workouts are a very reasonable 45 minutes, they draaaaag for me.)

So, a negative from me...but I doubt that it bears any weight on the actual workout.
I could have written this, but Allison wrote it so much better. I really want to like Ellen, and I have tried several of her workouts but *always* end up getting rid of them.

I'm glad, though, that these new ones are available for her many fans. It is always great when a favorite instructor comes out with something new.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 02:49 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I got mine on Friday afternoon and did it yesterday. I loved it! My favorite Ellen DVD and the only one I've kept is Fat Burning Fusion. I enjoyed Power Fusion as much as I do Fat Burning Fusion. I didn't feel the set was dark. I thought the music was better than what Ellen has used in the past. I did ok with the threading move, but only because I've done similar exercises on a Jill Miller DVD. I'm definitely looking forward to Guts and Gusto! If you are an Ellen fan, you won't be disappointed with Power Fusion.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 03:56 PM  
LAC

Quote:
I think I'm going to just have to come to the realization that --despite my best efforts-- I just don't mesh with Ellen.

I think she's lovely, she's encouraging, she's graceful and realistic in her physique. I like the idea of fusing the elements of toning, yoga, pilates, barre.... and I enjoy WATCHING her workouts.

I just don't dig doing them.
I have owned every single one of her workouts. Every. Single. One. (and some -- multiple times!)
I have parted with them all. I told myself that this one would be different....but alas, I made it 10 min. into the workout before I started checking the clock (even though her workouts are a very reasonable 45 minutes, they draaaaag for me.)

So, a negative from me...but I doubt that it bears any weight on the actual workout.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. I didn't make it very far before I pulled the DVD out of the player and moved on to something else. I'll try it one more time, but chances are this new one isn't going to click for me any more than her Studio series did. I wish that wasn't so, because I totally love her fitness philosophy and I like her personality.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 04:15 PM  
Lorelai

Wouldn't be Ellen without the Grace and Gusto...

Looking forward to trying this one at the earliest opportunity, though that may be awhile...

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 04:15 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I could have written this, but Allison wrote it so much better. I really want to like Ellen, and I have tried several of her workouts but *always* end up getting rid of them.

I'm glad, though, that these new ones are available for her many fans. It is always great when a favorite instructor comes out with something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. I didn't make it very far before I pulled the DVD out of the player and moved on to something else. I'll try it one more time, but chances are this new one isn't going to click for me any more than her Studio series did. I wish that wasn't so, because I totally love her fitness philosophy and I like her personality.
I am VERY glad I am not alone.
I was being to think that something was essentially wrong with me, LOL, to not like Ellen's workouts.

LAC ~ I pulled this one pretty quickly (under 20 min. into it)...I'll also probably give it 1 more go before it gets stuck on my yayas list...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 04:32 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
I am VERY glad I am not alone.
I was being to think that something was essentially wrong with me, LOL, to not like Ellen's workouts.

LAC ~ I pulled this one pretty quickly (under 20 min. into it)...I'll also probably give it 1 more go before it gets stuck on my yayas list...
Altho I like Ellen a lot & her workouts, I totally understand the feeling. I feel this way about Kelly Coffee-Myers. Tho not as soft a personality as Ellen, I really sense a lot of integrity, fairness and sincere effort on her part in her workouts. I trust her. I love the music sooo much, but her workouts are just too vigorous & masculine (heavy weights) for me . I will always look at her clips on Collage hoping that one day she'll make a workout I like just as much as I like her personality.

I think it's ok to like the instructor but not the work out LOL
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 05:25 PM  
Cybersparkle

My thoughts on my first Power Fusion go round

The music, the set, the background exercisers, Ellen's mood are all very refreshing. I welcome the change of scenery and live uncut shooting. I think it's good to change up as time goes on to keep everyone from getting bored. This set is a little more interesting. And even though it is darker, the upbeat music, orange mats and Ellen's positive energy balance the energy from the darker colors. I get an "earthy" vibe rather than a "perky" vibe, either of which I like tho.

I love all the uplifing names of the moves "earth, sky" "goddess" "angel arms" "swoosh". Along with the sweeping motions & flowing music, it all seems so cleansing somehow.

I wore 1pd each hand weighted gloves from the start for arms. Instead of doing the thread, I put on 1 1/2 pd each leg ankle weights & stuck with the modification. I could do it barely , but not nearly as fast as they could. Something to work up to for sure!

I wasnt able to go all out bcuz I still am healing my knee. It seemed a little easier than FBF, but I wont be able to tell till I can put my all into it.

The only thing, tho there are some new moves, they are just minor variations of her old moves. The thread was the only truly new move, I thought. The most innovative workouts I have seen have been from Patrick Goudeau. He uses weights by having us step over them, put them down & pick them up. Maybe if Ellen did something similar or used a band or a ball, she could offer more variety.

For me, Ellen has several essential things that I can not find elsewhere

Stretching (especially this- hardly any stretch with cardio out there), strengthening & cardio at same time
Good music
Holistic mind/body philosophy
Bright, likeable personality
Energizing rather than exhausting routines

The only real drawback is the lack of variety in her moves. If she expanded this, it would be the perfect workout for true!! However, I havent found any other dvds that come close to hitting the mark on so many aspects and can forgive the lack of variety because she is so nice and means well lol.

I get variety two ways- Her workout are only 45 min, so I use my other dvds from different instructors as 15 to 20 min add ons (usually abs & arm sections). I look to her Crunch, Self and Prevention dvds to put on shoes, jump a little and change it up some as well.

This is a keeper for me along the lines of Fat Burning Fusion cardio dvd.
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 05:42 PM  
faith458

I did it today and loved it. I didn't notice that the set was dark. I did notice the background exerciser who is an anchor on the local news here though. I could do the thread move with the right leg, but not the left.

Alison- I do understand. I often look at the clock with Ellen, but it's that way with me for barre workouts too.

I'm trying to incorporate more yoga into my workouts. I have just started working out again and small yoga routines have helped me exercise more regularly. It's ironic since I used to hate yoga. Now I do a 20 minute routine 5 mornings a week right after I wake up. I like the combination of cardio and yoga, so I think I will reach for this one often.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini ready fast, ellen barrett