Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-13, 10:29 AM  
Inchworm

Need ab workout that will help with muscles in mid/lower abs by belly button

Hi,

I absolutely love planks of all kinds and love that I can see the muscles in my obliques when in side plank... BUT... having a hard time honing in on the ones in the lower abs surrounding belly button. Can you think of either certain exercises that have helped you or any specific ab sections of workouts that really helped target that area? I like Barre work and things like that too, but sometimes it's hard to get that form down as far as the low c-curve.. so hard for me for some reason (and I used to have really strong abs) I know diet is pretty key with abs, but when I touch my sides.. they feel strong and taught, but that area I'm talking about doesn't feel tight and strong..... any ideas?
I also love youtube workouts and things like that, so if there are any specific ones you can tell me about I'd love it.

Thanks.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 10:57 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I did reverse crunches holding a dumbell between my legs and got really sore in the lower abs, but that might not be quite the area of the abs you have in mind.

Also, sometimes the problem can be loose skin rather than an untoned muscle. There can also be problems with your internal organs that causes your stomach to stick out a bit.

I think that doing the entire Pilates floorwork sequence is good for all the core muscles. I did a fair amount of yoga, but I really didn't develop core strength until I concentrated on Pilates type moves. I did modify them somewhat, such as using weights in some instances etc.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution.
Old 02-14-13, 04:22 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think that doing the entire Pilates floorwork sequence is good for all the core muscles.
I agree with Jane. Pilates can really get deep into your core muscles when done with proper form.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 04:51 PM  
bfit

I agree that Pilates type exercises are best - like scissors or single leg reach, double leg reach, and the lift and lower exercise. I've also found that doing crunches with my legs extended on the floor and one leg crossed over the other so that one foot is balanced on top of the opposite one tends to work the lower abs. Workouts that I have that tend to make me sore in the lower abs are the Pilates workout on Denise Austin's new abs DVD, and the Pilates/core portion of Kathy Smith's Project You. The Pilates portion of the original 10 Minute Solution DVD with Michelle Dozois is also good for the lower abs. Jackie Warner's Crunch-free Abs is also very good and so is Paul Katami's Ab Lab - those contain a variety of exercises and don't target the lower abs specifically, but there's good lower ab work in them.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 07:52 PM  
CatInTheHat

I just got into Tracy's Post-Pregnancy video - it has a ton of ab work, and gets them from all angles. Also helps with loose skin. I've done it 5 times over the last 10 days and it's working!
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 08:08 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
I just got into Tracy's Post-Pregnancy video - it has a ton of ab work, and gets them from all angles. Also helps with loose skin. I've done it 5 times over the last 10 days and it's working!
Another vote for TA PP. I've also found postnatal core work helps.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 08:10 PM  
suegy3

I also recommend pilates.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 09:33 AM  
rose2boys

I, too, have a similar problem (which has gotten progressively worse as I enter peri-menopause) right above my C-section scar & below my belly button. Granted, I have never had a flat tummy(genetic - thanks mom & grandmother!), but never sticking out so much in that one area! Menopot??

Sigh...core has always been my weakest link...S-curve (making my rear & tummy protude even more) & causing lower back/neck pain...

Are there any short, effective Pilates workouts (YouTube or dvd) that anyone can recommend that i can just add in when I have some extra time in the day? Maybe 10-20 min?
TIA!
Old 02-15-13, 10:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I always pop in to any pilates thread and rave about Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt. I think I'm alone in my love for this DVD however. It is broken into 4 or 5 short segments and the Abs segment gives me lower abs DOMS and I never get DOMS there ever. That's not to say I dont' have the menopot, cuz I do, but that is excess fat. Underneath that pot are some really rock hard abs.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 04:06 PM  
PeakFitness

Prevention better belly yoga, IIRC each segment hits a different section of the abs.

Tags
belly fat, menopot, pooch