Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-12, 12:13 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Jeanne: I always appreciate your stories and experiences!!

My two sides of the family are split. My dad's side is just like you; grandma was thin all her life. She ate whatever she wanted and never let anything fat free pass her lips! Died at 95. Mom's side is heavier and always struggled. I am somewhere in between, built like dad's side, tall and thin, but love food!

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Sunday!

I have a similar story in my family. My mom was very short (5 feet tall) and my dad was tall (6 feet tall). I have a sister. She is like my mom and I am like my dad. She is 5 feet tall and curvier than I am. I am 5'7" tall and very slender. It's amazing how genetics work out sometimes isn't it?

I will say though that I am like your grandma. I don't eat low cal, fat free or any of that. I eat all the good stuff! I just eat small portions of it. My sister eats the same way I do, and even though she's 5 years younger, she is also through menopause. Her weight is stable as well and her shape has remained the same too. It definitely shows that genetics are a big factor.
Old 11-15-12, 12:18 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I mentioned that I run, but I also said that I think how much you eat is key.
+1

Most people are eating way more calories than they realize, justified by "well, it's all healthy stuff." It still has calories, you know? I logged what I was eating earlier this year and couldn't believe the numbers. I dropped nearly 20 pounds in a couple of months by making better choices about portion sizes and snacks and by logging religiously (I'm 45, in serious peri - insomnia, hot flashes, occasional flirtations with rage, LOL). I think it's also important NOT to count your exercise toward calories so you can eat them; just pretend you didn't work out, and those calories can really help to jump start your weight loss.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-12, 12:27 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
I rarely see one written about a woman going through the change of life. Most stories are from women between the ages of 25-40 who had children and couldn't lose the baby weight. It's rare to see a story about a woman, age 45-55, who struggled through menopause and got fantastic results doing a specific program.

I'm more aware of it now because I'm 49 and just found out at my physical yesterday that I gained 12 pounds in 1 year! I don't weigh myself and never had a weight problem, so that was a total shocker. My doc said it's to be expected because I'm approaching menopause. Now I'm looking for a diet and exercise program to help me lose the weight, but the success stories are no help. I did purchase Jillian's Body Revolution due to the positive reviews on VF. Though, I hope I made the right decision cuz she can get on my nerves! lol!
Lesli, I do understand what you are writing about. I just prayed that prayer last night with my husband, sort of. I said, we are all different. we all have five fingers and toes but inside, each is a little different, just like the chromosomes.

We are all trying to figure out our unique pattern. Some of us will never be a size 2 nore do some of us want to be a size 2. but we have to each find our our key. That's what's aggravating. The not knowing and the experimenting.

You are right, we hear, read so many about how they changed it, but yes, it is mostly someone under 50 . I don't have an answer but what you wrote is so true.

I hope you enjoy doing what you choose and documenting your results because, it may help those coming behind us.

I don't even know or claim menopause or age relating to my issues. I claim, falling off the wagon and not really liking pain and discomfort. But also sure would like to see someone start at say 40 and let me see that persons changes they got by doing what ever it is they did. eating, exercise,meds, what ever.

Jeanne, your running is your niche. Me. never. Don't want to have no desire for it. Love watching it in the olympics but not my cupla. I just never seen a women with DDD running and enjoying it. lol

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:27 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w View Post
I rarely see one written about a woman going through the change of life. Most stories are from women between the ages of 25-40 who had children and couldn't lose the baby weight. It's rare to see a story about a woman, age 45-55, who struggled through menopause and got fantastic results doing a specific program.

I'm more aware of it now because I'm 49 and just found out at my physical yesterday that I gained 12 pounds in 1 year! I don't weigh myself and never had a weight problem, so that was a total shocker. My doc said it's to be expected because I'm approaching menopause. Now I'm looking for a diet and exercise program to help me lose the weight, but the success stories are no help. I did purchase Jillian's Body Revolution due to the positive reviews on VF. Though, I hope I made the right decision cuz she can get on my nerves! lol!
Same here in that when I hit 49 (I'm now 50) and was in full perimenopausal hell (still am...grrr...) I had gained 10 lbs without real changes in diet or exercise. I was frustrated -- saw the Dr. had my thyroid checked (normal), etc. Then I realized, for me, perimenopause meant I needed to eat less. So I joined Weight Watchers which meant logging everything and cutting back a lot on my calories. Boom -- 10 lbs gone. It was hard and now I'm working to keep it off. Also, it didn't matter what I ate, I just needed less of it!

I should add that although I weigh about the same now as I have over the past 20 years, pants that I bought 5 years ago no longer fit me because my waist has grown. Oh well.

Anyway, best of luck to you. It's frustrating, but I should add that when I went to my Dr. and complained to her, she was very kind and reminded me that I am extremely healthy, fit and strong and should stop worrying. Words to live by really.

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:28 PM  
Scbayless

My mom is a success story. She is 52 and in the best shape ever because she started TA a year ago. She was really struggling with menopause and it has helped her keep things under control and given her courage to wear things she never would have before
Old 11-15-12, 12:36 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbayless View Post
My mom is a success story. She is 52 and in the best shape ever because she started TA a year ago. She was really struggling with menopause and it has helped her keep things under control and given her courage to wear things she never would have before
That's beautiful. yea, for her. I bet you won't be able to pull Tara away from her now

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:13 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I keep my hormones balanced with bioidentical hormones so my body doesn't know it's 59. I try to eat 'real' food, very little sugar and enough good fats. Between that, Leslie and some upper body strength training - I've made it through menopause and plan to maintain this lifestyle forever!
I am doing the same thing with the bioidentical hormones but did you ever go through a period where your cycle went out of wack even though you were taking the hormones? I was just increased 2.5 months ago and this month I am off cycle again and breaking out like a teenager. ugh
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:40 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have a saliva test every year and my dosages are adjusted accordingly, or if I start having hot flashes all of a sudden or spotting (which hasn't happened in a couple of years). I haven't really gone 'out of whack' thankfully. I was told this year that my natural levels likely won't be changing much more and that I'm probably done with menopause - so my dosage shouldn't change anymore.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:45 PM  
Castella

Having seen any number of doctors in different areas and having been in perimenopause for 6+ years now...I can't say I believe there is a one-size-fits-all solution for the gamut of challenges women may face during this phase. I was hoping for relief when I hit menopause but reading this thread has dashed that hope!

There is no shortage of diet plans, workout plans, supplements, people ready to write you a prescription for anything under the sun (often without any scientific basis indicating that it will actually work). I've also found that very few practitioners will look at perimenopause as a whole and thoroughly, choosing instead to focus on one or a few symptoms. I certainly haven't had any luck in coordinating care among different doctors. All of which tells me what medicine and the experts have to offer us at this point in time is pretty much hit or miss.

I happen to be a very self-disciplined and motivated person. I've had to accept that even for me, it can be HARD to exercise consistently and with purpose (let's not even talk about eating) when dealing with fluctuating energy levels, mood changes, and worries (is this normal? do I need to have this checked out?). It is especially hard if you are dealing with aging-parent issues or other family issues and can't prioritize self-care as much as you should. In retrospect, puberty seems like a cake-walk

All of which is to say, while I haven't embraced this, I just try to live with it and yes, I've lowered my expectations of how my body will perform and what my body will look like.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:03 PM  
dnna

the people in the dvds who are touted as success stories are really fitness professionals, not ordinary people. Jillian squacks -look at this woman she had 3 babies in JMBR, well, that woman is a serious fitness competitor and has won national competitions, not your average mom of 3 at WalMart.
I find it so hard to accept aging and shifting weight gain, I also think people do judge you on your looks and weight and have no concept of the struggles that some of us face. My niece in her late 30's is so scornful! and judgemental! and of course it will never happen to her.
I also find it difficult that people think I am not doing "enough" or should see other doctors and blame me for my illness.
I also have found myself becoming invisible-people just glance away.well of course I am no longer a hot babe but invisible?
even on the board it is hard to accept that the workouts I do have been recommended for the "frail and infirm", omg, I just have to laugh and try to remain cheerful.
yes staying cheerful, the best revenge,

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopot, over 50, shapewear, spanx, weight loss