Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-21, 03:42 AM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I bought this 2-3 years ago (probably got a really good deal on it), but have never tried it because I was afraid I would hate it. I bought it because I like Kathy Smith and I'm a vidiot! Your post makes me want to pull it out and give it go now. I'm in a funky mood these days.

Donna
I also bought it years ago because it was a good deal and it has sat, still in the shrinkwrap since.

Until the other day when I Could. Not. Do another Leslie. I actually enjoyed it. It's cheesy, yeah. But I also love YBB so cheese doesn't bother me.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 06:07 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I always liked Kathy Smith’s Matrix walk. I found it entertaining. All her walks that I have tried have been different and fun.

KettleWorX Resistance was one I tried in recent times. I had the feeling this series was not well thought of generally but I didn’t mind the Resistance DVD. Despite some problems I managed to work around the uneven reps by starting the second set on the opposite side and ignoring the repeat statements. Ryan had so much charm, Irish Charm? I really liked his enthusiasm and most of the exercises. I could up the weight due to the pacing. It seemed the budget hampered the series mainly because of repeat segments and I think Ryan could have had much more to offer as an instructor.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 05:27 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
And then, there was my for Twirl as I spun around my big basement. It was like having fun in a washing machine.
Laura S, I hunted down a used copy of Twirl thanks to your comments and just did it for the first time. Your description is bang on - I couldn't have said it any better. This workout sure is a space hog, but I just loved spinning around my huge basement. Somehow I (almost) always ended up on the correct foot, thanks to Marcus' great cuing.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 06:31 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Try it! It is fun workout, I also like the stretch at the end.
Oh, thanks for noting the stretch. I've always like Kathy's post-workout stretches. I have not been working out much lately, as my father passed away (at 97!) on the 26th. However, I'm gearing up to begin again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Donna, do you like to mambo? Because Kathy’s walking workout is a mambo fest (her other walking workout is, too.). I’m happy because I do like to mambo.
I like to mambo, too! I will definitely have to give a try now. Thanks!

Donna
Old 05-12-21, 09:57 AM  
kat999

Some of the ones mentioned are things I have donated or sold, like Yogalosophy. I LOVE Yoga Booty Ballet but don't own it; I used to rent it from Netflix and now it's impossible to find.

I like Lisa Kay's FIRM Ab Sculpt. I can see where it would feel unchallenging, but it's good for a light day.

In general, one category I really like that others don't seem to are the pink FIRMs (Gaiam era before the Wave system). I'm about to do Alison's Cardio Overdrive today, and it's a calorie torcher. I love all of Kelsie's kickboxing-based ones, and there are some real gems that are quite challenging. Part of the issue, I think, is that they feel frenetic compared to the classics and/or aren't challenging enough, but if you ramp up your weights, do them multiple times to get the moves down, and if you get lost just keep marching until you catch up, they're really quite fun. I appreciate that most of them don't require any equipment except for weights.
Old 05-12-21, 12:13 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Oh, thanks for noting the stretch. I've always like Kathy's post-workout stretches. I have not been working out much lately, as my father passed away (at 97!) on the 26th. However, I'm gearing up to begin again.

Donna
Donna, I am so sorry for your loss, hugs. Sending good vibes your way. // On a side note 97! Wow, he lived a long life. My dad died very young at 47.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 01:01 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm shocked to hear there are people who like Kathy's Matrix Walk.

I'm even more shocked to hear there are people who like sun salutations!
Old 05-13-21, 12:57 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I love Precision Sculpting with Jennifer Kries. It shows upper body exercises with light weights Pilates style. The reviews were scathing because of such light weights, but I have learned enough about the Pilates technique to make the exercises effective, and it is now one of my favorite workouts.
Old 05-13-21, 05:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Laura S, I hunted down a used copy of Twirl thanks to your comments and just did it for the first time. Your description is bang on - I couldn't have said it any better. This workout sure is a space hog, but I just loved spinning around my huge basement. Somehow I (almost) always ended up on the correct foot, thanks to Marcus' great cuing.
Thanks for reporting back. His cueing always was superb and made me feel like I knew what I was doing. If you were going to try it, it's great you have a huge space.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 10:13 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Lightweight Indian clubs don't seem especially popular here, but I'm liking them as part of my morning warm up. Easy and low stress, you know? Somehow it's just that much easier to pick up the kettlebell next.
Which kind did you purchase and are you still using them.. And I agree, in their lack of popularity in VF and I guess that's because there is not a DVD on learning them..

Plus they are unconventional tools. India still uses for strength training.. No flows, just moving them every day.. probably helps rotator cuff strength also.

{person Bunnyhop person} [Anna]

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad workout, ez shaper pro, favorite workouts, hard sell, hits and misses, off the beaten path, settings, silly, tony little, vintage workouts