Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-21, 10:59 AM  
Karla25

I have a Richard Simmons Project HOPE 3 dvd, 9 workout set with low impact cardio. It might not be intense enough for you though, but it will add some variety. I will send to you if you want it :-)
Old 04-11-21, 12:15 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for all the suggestions! Richard Simmons seems a bit too easy. The Michael Olajide and Piloxing look good but too fast. After my cervical spine surgery I can do kickboxing, but it has to be slower and not as forceful. I know I can't have it all, but I'm looking for something I don't have to totally modify the entire workout. I think I may just have to keep just doing random workouts which is fine. I sometimes feel more accomplished when I'm following a program though, it's all mental I guess!!

Kristin Dowell's workout looks pretty good. I was wondering how much of the workout is standing vs floor/or moving from floor to standing?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 09:35 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Kristin Dowell's workout looks pretty good. I was wondering how much of the workout is standing vs floor/or moving from floor to standing?
Dressed Up Drills (if you just do the cardio) is all standing if I recall correctly. I believe in the 2nd half of Hi/Lo Recharge (which is a separate dvd and has choreography) there's a combo where if you don't follow the low impact modifier, you go to the floor at one point in the combo choreo but the modifier just does a standing knee repeater. Here I queued up the part from the Hi/Lo Recharge preview to show you:

https://youtu.be/RlZc_osydR8?t=126

But that's Hi/Lo Recharge. As I said, I haven't done any cardio that goes to the floor in years and I love Dressed Up Drills. Ok, so I checked and apparently there's a "body weight" section on Dressed Up Drills on the dvd that I've never utilized and a bit of that's shown at the end of the preview clip here (queued it to the exact spot again):

https://youtu.be/xfoV8DiqV4o?t=173

But I've never even explored that section of the dvd. Who knew?

I used to do the warmup and either Combos 1&2 (20min) or Combos 3&4 (20min) or the whole cardio workout (all 5 cardio combos including warm-up & final finished product) for a good 50-ish minute cardio workout.

Also, once I worked up to it, my favorite way to use the workout was the do the cardio workout straight through and then add the Best Dressed Cardio premix (minus the warmup in the premix part)*. According to my notes, this comes out to a great 63 minute workout.

*So essentially you just play the workout, stop at the 48 min mark after putting all the finished combos together. Then you go to the Dressed Up Drills Workout & Premixes menu and choose the "Best Dressed Cardio" premix, skip/chapter forward past the warmup and just do the rest (this premix is 18 minutes including the cooldown since you're not doing the warmup). I think that's how I do it. Hopefully the math works out.

BTW, the 5-minute warmup on this dvd is one of my all-time favorite warmups. I don't know why, but I just really like it.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 03:47 AM  
Nelly G

Tugger I googled slow boxing workout and got Fat-Burning Kickboxing Workout for Dummies. It says that it is at a slower pace.

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Burning-K.../dp/B000H1RFIM
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 12:22 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I like Fat Burning for Dummies -- I get ~45 mins of a nice sweat on with zero dread. Cueing is great, music is upbeat, easy to contemplate even on days when I don't think I can take on much.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 03:22 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Petra Kolber Weight Watchers set called Get Moving Mix:
https://www.amazon.com/WeightWatcher.../dp/B0012OB4TO

Michelle Dozois also has a WW set - there are weights in the toning workouts, but there's sufficient cardio in them:
https://www.amazon.com/WeightWatcher.../dp/B002PZ4VO4

another one:
Hip Hop Abs by Shaun T:
https://www.amazon.com/Shaun-Hip-Hop...8387574&sr=8-2

Stephanie Huckabee team-teaches this Christian-based program, The Daniel Plan Accelerated which has both cardio and toning, but the toning is moderate and with more emphasis on moderate cardio. Note that "Accelerated" has both the base workouts and one extra disk of more workouts; the 3rd disc is a CD of lectures. "Accelerated" is moderate level and there are usually 2 modifiers:
https://www.christianbook.com/the-da...ated/pd/644511

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 07:18 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

BTW, the 5-minute warmup on this dvd is one of my all-time favorite warmups. I don't know why, but I just really like it.
adawn which one of Kristin's DVDs has your favorite warm-up?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 11:37 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
adawn which one of Kristin's DVDs has your favorite warm-up?
Dressed Up Drills. There's nothing really special about the warm-up. I just like it for some reason more than other warmups.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact cardio, moderate intensity, turbo fire, turbo jam