View Poll Results: Do you like using Siri, Alexa, etc
I like using Siri, Alexa, etc. 16 27.12%
I don't use using Siri, Alexa, etc. 22 37.29%
I've never tried using Siri, Alexa, etc. 20 33.90%
What are Siri and Alexa? 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-21, 06:42 PM  
casey

I have unplugged my nest speaker. I feel its a violation of my privacy. I know my smart phone and smart TV can do that as well but it bothers me that my nest will suddenly answer something out of the blue. I can do without it.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 07:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

I seem to be surviving quite well without them

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:02 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Apparently I am the outlier here I've had an Echo for a few years (Alexa) and use it mainly for setting timers while cooking (great for when my hands are full), reminders, listening to music and audiobooks, doing quick conversions and math problems, and asking random questions, like "what time is it in Beijing?" before sending a message to a client.

Before I worked from home permanently I was able to ask "how is my commute" as I was scrambling to get out the door and get a very accurate traffic report and estimated travel time. I live alone, so if something happens and I am unable to reach my phone, I can ask Alexa to call my friend down the road. I'm in apartment so haven't connected anything like a thermostat or security system.

Is is necessary? No, but pretty convenient in a lot of little ways. I am a bit concerned about privacy, but our phones may also be listening for ambient sounds (check which apps have access to your microphone), as well as tracking location, and apps like Gmail are being monitored too for ad purposes.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:17 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Apparently I am the outlier here I've had an Echo for a few years (Alexa) and use it mainly for setting timers while cooking (great for when my hands are full), reminders, listening to music and audiobooks, doing quick conversions and math problems, and asking random questions, like "what time is it in Beijing?" before sending a message to a client.
We have a Google Home and use it for similar things. We listen to music and use the timer. My kids all live in different areas so I always ask about the weather where they live. I ask about random information sometimes (what time is sunset?) and we use it for our two smart plugs to turn the lamps on and off.

ETA - sometimes we'll play games on it, too. Music trivia was big when my adult kids were home with their significant others. We played jeopardy, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Willingly invite Big Brother into my home? NO WAY!!!

My boyfriend has an Alexa. When I go to his house, I set the device in the washing machine in the basement. :-P
LOLOL!!! You never know who has Alexa going in their home. Or, Siri.

A friend's granddaughter is named Alexa. That has to be awkward.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 02:53 PM  
Kitten

I absolutely love Alexa!

I have her turn on podcasts/music when my hands are full. We chat about the weather every morning. I ask her for recipes. i have a smart plug.

I even have a nickname for my google maps lady. Her name is Sally.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 03:03 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I don't want them listening to every burp and fart that goes on in my house and car.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 03:11 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I don't want them listening to every burp and fart that goes on in my house and car.
I don't think Alexa cares. She makes fart noises.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 04:24 PM  
Leonana

We don't have an Alexa. I'm not afraid of privacy issues, I have a smart phone, so they can monitor whatever they like anyway. But it's the cost, we're on a strict budget.

The reason I don't use Siri is that I'm stuck in my ways. I still type my questions, because I'm used to it.
Old 04-08-21, 04:30 PM  
antbuko

I don't have the gadgets but I enjoy using them on my phone when I'm driving. I can request a particular song whilst driving.

Tags
alexa, big brother, privacy, siri