Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-21, 02:31 PM  
alisoncooks

What to sub for The Firm death box?

I've been exploring some BSS1-3 era workouts. I have a Fanny Lifter for BSS1+add-ons, plus a small (off brand) stackable step that can be used in place of the Transfirmer.

So...what do y'all use for the slanted step/box thing. I need some sort of ramp for some of the moves. I really don't want to buy a full-sized step/angled risers combo. What's my other options? I don't have a BOSU (and no room for one).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 03:01 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Sorry but I use my reebok step with angled risers. I already had the step so it was just the risers I had to buy. Good purchase for me because doubles as a great angled weight bench.
Old 04-07-21, 04:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the Firm's Transfirmer (TF) works excellently. also, similar to the Reebok slanted risers mentioned, step co. step slanted risers with the step co. step is another option.

another tip about BSS3 - let's say you use the TF with these workouts. orient the step so that you're facing the screen. they filmed BSS3 from a "side profile" perspective, which makes it hard to follow them.

i've tagged this thread for additional threads about this subject.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 05:04 PM  
Ricka

I use the club step with incline riser. I love that I do not need another equipment to my collection, and that it is nice and sturdy, but this set up takes a little longer to switch from one position to another compared to the death box or the transfirmer. I forgot the official name of the death box, by the way. haha
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 05:09 PM  
Ricka

I just realized that you said "I really don't want to buy a full-sized step/angled risers combo. " Maybe my commend did not help at all. Sorry about that!

My second choice will be to have a TransFIRMER, I think. You could also use the FIRM Zip Trainer, or ignore that incline and just use regular steps for that matter.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 05:30 PM  
laurajhawk

I don't do Firm workouts so don't know if this helps, but there also exists a circuit step with the incline riser. It's a LOT smaller than the club step, which is why I bought it. However, I've had trouble finding extra risers for the circuit step!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 05:31 PM  
wendug

Check your local thrift stores or second hand sports stores for a Transfirmer. I've seen the transfirmer at both of these types of places. Or maybe craigslist or facebook. I use my transfirmer all the time and it is not unheard of to find one used. Good luck!
Old 04-07-21, 06:06 PM  
alisoncooks

So the two steps I currently have:

ESPN Body Shaping Step
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1IKaM6YEs

and one that says Denise Austin Flex Step...but I can't find much about it. It's turquoise and looks like it should've come with another piece (but mine doesn't have it).

Thrift store finds, both of them. The ESPN Step might work in a pinch. If I turn it sideways, it might hook over the riser-thing and give a slight slant. Better than nothing.

I can't help but wonder if there's another sprained ankle in my future, lol.
Old 04-07-21, 06:20 PM  
alisoncooks

Well, now I've seen this circuit sized step:
https://www.amazon.com/Step-Freestyl...50563403&psc=1

I'm tempted. I may get it if mine doesn't work.
Old 04-07-21, 07:30 PM  
kat999

I have a couple of the "death box" workouts and I use a combination of the Wave for incline work and a very small regular step for when it's in the flat position. It's not perfect, but it's what I use for the Transfirmer workouts, too, since I don't have that either (for those I also use the Fanny Lifter when they have you doing seated work).

Tags
bss3, bss4, fanny lifter, firm deathbox, freestyle step, slanted risers, step co. step, transfirmer, transfirmer workouts