Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-05-21, 02:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Perimenopause and menopause check-in

I know, what a boring title! I couldn't think of anything else, so if anyone has a more catchy title, feel free to suggest something!

I've written ad nauseum about my struggle, but here goes: 47, been steadily gaining weight since age 44, went from 162 in 2016 to now 205 in 2021, size 8 to size 16/18 now, 36C to 44DD now. Absolutely nothing works. Anytime I try anything it just backfires. I tore my meniscus in my knee about 7 weeks ago just trying to do a squat jump. So now I'm sidelined just trying to heal this. I can ride a stationary bike for about 30 mins a day and I'm trying to do my own PT at home. Who knows when or if it will heal. So my exercise days are behind me at the moment.

The weight gain has all been in my breasts and belly. Nothing has worked for me at all. I've literally tried everything in three years.

I'm extremely depressed at the moment. I tried on my "fat" summer clothes that I bought last summer and they currently don't fit. I actually had to buy a 3X T-shirt. I feel like crying about 80 times a day.

I can't take HRT or even bioidenticals because I have a genetic clotting disorder. I am going back to see an endocrinologist next week though to see what my thyroid is doing. Two years ago they said it was "normal" but I beg to differ. I've seen every doctor you can think of and have had numerous bloodwork done. Everything is "normal".

I'm still having very regular cycles, so there's no end in sight. My mom sailed through menopause at 45 and barely realized it. So she's really of no help. My aunts were 55 and had some symptoms but not nearly like mine.

Hearing that others are in the same boat is at least mentally better for me so that I don't feel so alone.

Thanks to everyone in advance for sharing your stories!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 10:12 AM  
rhbrand

Well, I started my 30s out in the 130s. I'm 5'2" but I have quite a bit of muscle so I easily wore a size 6 back then.

Then my 40s hit. Gained quite a bit of weight, but in my early 40s I could get it off. Like back when I did Crossfit 3 times a week I dropped 10lbs and started feeling good about myself.
Now I'm 50 headed to 51 this summer and my weight (gasp) not even my hubby knows as of today, 189lbs. And that's down 3lbs from a few weeks ago. I wear a size 14-16 depending on brand. Of course the more expensive, the smaller size cause vanity sizing and all. Boobs, which were always kind of large, D-DD exploded to a 40G. And now this last 10lbs I put on this last year, my feet are more sore at the end of the day. Guess its just that added weight on them.

I do know what works kind of, for me to lose weight, but its a way of eating I don't enjoy. And hubby basically won't do. A pseudo Whole 30. But that eliminates foods I really enjoy, and well, life is to short to not eat popcorn, peanut butter, yogurt or potatoes.

I am on low dose birth control. Mostly to regulate my screwed up periods. And it helps some with the night sweats and hot flashes. Wish it helped drop 10lbs cause I'd feel better if I were 10lbs lighter. My feet would like it too,

Man, I wrote a book, didn't I
Old 04-06-21, 10:26 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Try the herbal tincture Vitex (aka chasteberry). It takes a month or two to work...not a quick fix. It is a wonderful hormone regulator and has straightened out a lot of my issues. Christiane Northrop and Aviva Romm both recommend it, as well as my friend who is a master herbalist.

Worth a try. I'm 53, almost 54...still with cycles. I've been to my family practice, been seeing a naturalpath (which helped some), but this herbal tincture has been the ticket.....it's awesome, cheap, and been around for years.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 01:22 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Well, I started my 30s out in the 130s. I'm 5'2" but I have quite a bit of muscle so I easily wore a size 6 back then.

Then my 40s hit. Gained quite a bit of weight, but in my early 40s I could get it off. Like back when I did Crossfit 3 times a week I dropped 10lbs and started feeling good about myself.
Now I'm 50 headed to 51 this summer and my weight (gasp) not even my hubby knows as of today, 189lbs. And that's down 3lbs from a few weeks ago. I wear a size 14-16 depending on brand. Of course the more expensive, the smaller size cause vanity sizing and all. Boobs, which were always kind of large, D-DD exploded to a 40G. And now this last 10lbs I put on this last year, my feet are more sore at the end of the day. Guess its just that added weight on them.

I do know what works kind of, for me to lose weight, but its a way of eating I don't enjoy. And hubby basically won't do. A pseudo Whole 30. But that eliminates foods I really enjoy, and well, life is to short to not eat popcorn, peanut butter, yogurt or potatoes.

I am on low dose birth control. Mostly to regulate my screwed up periods. And it helps some with the night sweats and hot flashes. Wish it helped drop 10lbs cause I'd feel better if I were 10lbs lighter. My feet would like it too,

Man, I wrote a book, didn't I
Sounds quite similar to what happened to me at around 44/45. I could maintain my weight pretty easily in my early 40s with weights/exercise. Now nothing works. Just keep gaining. My breasts and stomach are just massive. And they keep getting bigger each month. Not hideable anymore. I have to buy different bras for different parts of my cycle. I'm relatively short too, just 5'4", so huge boobs and stomach aren't concealable at all.

I've tried every type of diet and nothing has worked. Starving myself at 1200 calories doesn't even move the scale. I think my exercise days are long behind me now since that just makes me gain more weight. I am attempting to keep around 1500-1600 since that doesn't make me too ravenous but each month anything that I lose just comes right back.

No one in real life knows that I'm now north of 200. I was 160 for 15 years and felt amazing. Every day is a mental struggle now.
Old 04-06-21, 01:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Try the herbal tincture Vitex (aka chasteberry). It takes a month or two to work...not a quick fix. It is a wonderful hormone regulator and has straightened out a lot of my issues. Christiane Northrop and Aviva Romm both recommend it, as well as my friend who is a master herbalist.

Worth a try. I'm 53, almost 54...still with cycles. I've been to my family practice, been seeing a naturalpath (which helped some), but this herbal tincture has been the ticket.....it's awesome, cheap, and been around for years.
Thanks, Jackie. Do you use the liquid? I used to take Vitex long ago to help with my PCOS symptoms but it always made me swell up with water retention. I wonder if I'd have the same reaction now. I should really look into it. I've tried everything else!

I'm hoping to get back to CS as soon as my knee heals up. That's the one thing I've really missed over the past two months. I can do some floor stretching but I can't really do anything where my knee is bent. I am really mad to be missing all these live classes on ETV!
Old 04-06-21, 03:51 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I do take the tincture. My herbalist friend (who also teaches Essentrics) doesn't feel capsules or crushed berries offer the same benefit as the alcohol tincture.

I buy it from someone locally, but think I'll be making my own as it's so cheap and easy.

Essentrics is such a doable program. Even when I am feeling cruddy, I can seem to at least get in an episode. Today I'll have to push through my class....I had insomnia last night.

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 04-06-21, 04:36 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Today I'll have to push through my class....I had insomnia last night.
Me too! Almost every night from 3-5ish I'm just wide awake and can't fall back asleep. Racing mind with things I forgot to do that day. I can fall asleep really quickly, and often on the couch at night. This is relatively new for me within the past few months. It used to just be in the few days period my period, now it's the entire cycle. Sometimes I wonder how many other ladies are just staring at the ceiling at the same time I am every night.

Gosh I can't wait to get back to my daily Essentrics. I am just going to stick with that and walking, and my stationary bike, for the foreseeable future. I'm just done with killing myself to only get injured for months and just continue to gain weight. I really wish I had done that years ago at this point.
Old 04-06-21, 05:00 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Me too! Almost every night from 3-5ish I'm just wide awake and can't fall back asleep. Racing mind with things I forgot to do that day. I can fall asleep really quickly, and often on the couch at night. This is relatively new for me within the past few months. It used to just be in the few days period my period, now it's the entire cycle. Sometimes I wonder how many other ladies are just staring at the ceiling at the same time I am every night.
I think a lot of us are struggling with the same issue. I tell DH this all the time since he thinks it's just me. I have struggled with insomnia for a very long time, but it has gotten so much worse in the past few years. Like you, I fall asleep quickly and then am up 3-4am no matter how late I go to bed. Usually I force myself to stay in bed until 5am and I'm up for the day. This morning I just gave up and got up at 3am.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 09:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I was awake this morning at 2 am. Ridiculous.

I taught my class on Zoom and we had a huge rain/hail storm. I couldn't hear my music. Almost comical.

Fingers crossed we all get some sleep tonight!

Old 04-06-21, 10:38 PM  
rhbrand

That's one good thing I have going for me. No added insomnia.

Of course, I don't go to bed until 1-2 am. Always been a night owl, in fact I worked nights for years as a nurse cause hey, I'm usually awake until the middle of the night, might as well get paid more right.

So I've been watching a few clips of dvds on YouTube, trying to figure out workouts I want to do, and buy. And well, like Cathe, and Tracie Long. They are either older than me, or about my age and ***! They look amazing!

Is it genetics? Is it they bust their butts 110% more than I ever have? What the heck do they eat not to get the belly of doom. My belly looks like my daughter's and she's 22 weeks pregnant with baby #2.

UGH.