Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-21, 07:01 PM  
rhbrand

Do you do rotations, or just whatever...

Me, I always try to do rotations, then wuss out after 2-3 weeks and then just do whatever. I really think I'd have better results if I followed a rotation but right now. I just can't. My brain just doesn't seem to work that way right now LOL

Maybe a nice generic rotation like

Monday: AWT
Tue: Cardio
Wed. Weights
Thur: Cardio
Fri: bootcamp/metabolic
Sat: yoga/flexability
Old 03-31-21, 07:49 PM  
Mickey12

I always do whatever I feel like on a given day. No pattern, no rotations, just what I'm in the mood for. It has served me well for over 35 years. I did an almost complete rotation of STS but didn't finish the last few weeks. I almost did a complete rotation of P90X2 but also didn't finish the last few weeks. Aside from that, I've always just done what feels good and what I'm in the mood for. It makes working out fun for me.

I hope you find something that you can stick with. I think your format looks good and may get you back in the swing of things.
Old 03-31-21, 07:52 PM  
bubbles76

Either specific or generic rotations. Otherwise, I'd do nothing or only step lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 08:10 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I always do whatever I feel like on a given day. No pattern, no rotations, just what I'm in the mood for. It has served me well for over 35 years. I did an almost complete rotation of STS but didn't finish the last few weeks. I almost did a complete rotation of P90X2 but also didn't finish the last few weeks. Aside from that, I've always just done what feels good and what I'm in the mood for. It makes working out fun for me.

I hope you find something that you can stick with. I think your format looks good and may get you back in the swing of things.
I like your workout plans! I've only completed one rotation ever and I was so happy when it was over! I just try to mix up cardio and weights and throw a little yoga and stretching in and do whatever I want. You are right, it makes working out more fun! I'll read here about someone doing a specific workout and really enjoying it and it inspires me to either look into it if I haven't done it or to do the workout if I own it (or can stream it). Works for me!
Old 03-31-21, 08:10 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Otherwise, I'd do nothing or only step lol!
I have never followed a rotation. I have always just picked whatever workout I'm in the mood for that day. As Bubbles noted, for me that works out to be step about 90% of the time! I do try to make sure I fit in at least one, preferably two, strength workouts a week.

Like Mikey, this has worked well for me for almost 30 years, so I figure why mess with it. It may not be the "ideal" fitness routine, and I know I should do more strength and flexibility training, but I still love working out after all these years and almost always look forward to it.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 02:04 AM  
jusca

I must have a rotation planned in advance. I have too many choices to leave it to chance because I'll get caught up second guessing what to do. l would spend more time doing nothing but thinking. A rotation seals my commitment on what I will do. I feel more confident to follow through with it and calmer knowing it's settled.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 05:36 AM  
IceQueen07

I have to have a rotation or I just end up wasting time trying to pick a workout I want to do. With a specific rotation I just wake up, see what is scheduled for that day, do it and get on with my day.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 06:38 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

No actual rotations, but I do certain types of workouts on certain days. Sometimes I decide a bit in advance, sometimes I decide as I'm standing there looking at my DVDs.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 07:16 AM  
fanofladyvols

I like your schedule and done one similar and it felt great.

As far as what I do, I decide what I want to focus on for the next 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it's a trainer but usually it's an aspect of fitness. Then I make up a general schedule. Some of my favorite schedules started from another rotation that I modified to suit me and my collection inventory.

Then I shop my DVDs that can fit the daily schedule and line them up. That allows me to pick within the choices for each day to have some freedom.

There are definitely times when a VFer will mention a workout and I'll realize it fits my focus and I'll do it instead.

I don't think I have ever strictly followed a rotation. I have a hard time trying out all the workouts in a set no matter how much I love sets!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 07:41 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I used to do a very general rotation, basically alternating strength and cardio, or higher intensity with lower. Now I just like to have an idea of what I'll do, but sometimes I wake up a little stiff or achy and need to change the plan. Or the weather may inspire me to get out - or stay in - so I don't hold myself to anything.

Tags
rotation, rotationally challenged, rotations