Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-21, 10:14 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
"middle-aged non-athletes."
That's similar to how she referred to me, because of my "advanced age" that I probably could just rest and ice it since it didn't warrant an MRI. Plus I never had a "pop" sound or swelling or bruising, just pain when using it in a different motion and achiness after any activity. She prescribed PT for me if it doesn't heal completely in 12 more weeks, but she said I may not need it if I can refrain from doing anything other than daily activities. So for me, just light walking around the house even if it begins to feel good. What a shock it was for me to hear that! (I think she knew that I have a tendency to get back too soon after an injury and she saw that coming!)

I guess I've learned the hard way that even if I feel pretty good that injuries at my "advanced age" need much longer to heal than I thought. She also wants me to just walk and do CS for six months after it heals. I had been waffling about trying to find a way to mentally go to a light walking and stretching regimen from my previous 5-6 days a week of really working out. So I guess my body found a way of deciding that for me!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 10:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Thanks.

I had two pretty bad sprains in high school (from sports), within a year of each other. Ever since then, I've been prone to rolling it (every few years I seem to turn an ankle). Neither time had any sort of medical intervention, other than ice and wrapping and keep playing ASAP.

And I agree: balance and ankle strengthening are high on my priority list.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis lately -- I wondered if maybe I'd over-stretched that foot, making it more "loose" and easy to sprain. (Idk if that's even a thing...)
I had a grade 3 ankle sprain in high school and many sprains after the accident.

My ankle sprains came back to haunt me when I was 39....I had a really similar incident that you did. I ended up getting an xray and MRI and seeing a podiatrist (actually several...including my brother).

I'd really encourage you to be properly evaluated so you know what you're dealing with. PT was helpful for me although time consuming. My main concern was having an unstable joint as I got older (I'm 53 now). I don't want to fall and risk breaking a bone, or worse.

Balance, balance, balance. Ankle strength is all about working balance.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 11:39 AM  
gladgirl

Wow. That really is horrible! So sorry you’re dealing with this. Hope you’re able to find the right help for you. (HUGS)
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 03:13 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Alison, I'm sorry that happened. Several years ago I fell down the bottom of the stairs and sprained my ankle badly. I was on crutches for quite awhile and it was so frustrating.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 07:18 AM  
owltx

Ugh, Alison, I'm sorry that sucks! So frustrating! I have been battling pf for months now (on the opposite foot of the one that usually acts up, lovely!), so I just wanted to say how much it extra sucks that you have to put up with an ankle sprain on top of it!
Old 03-22-21, 08:07 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
Ugh, Alison, I'm sorry that sucks! So frustrating! I have been battling pf for months now (on the opposite foot of the one that usually acts up, lovely!), so I just wanted to say how much it extra sucks that you have to put up with an ankle sprain on top of it!
Thanks!
And this is exactly my PF these last few months! Usually my left foot flares...but nope. Now it's my right. (And then I go and sprain the left, lol -- I can't win!)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 09:07 AM  
Eibhinn

Sorry to hear your ankle is hurt, Alison. I also have chronic ankle instability and can also turn my ankle standing still if I'm not careful.

Doctors think the instability probably is congenital in my case - from ligament laxity - although who really knows, since they've been made far worse by constant injury. The one benefit in my case is that I've sprained my ankles so many times that the ligaments are so loose, that it's pretty much impossible for me to tear them anymore. There are things that can be done, like surgeries, but most doctors don't recommend it unless you're an athlete because they say the risk and recovery is worse than the problem itself. I've looked into prolotherapy, but I've been turned off by how fringe it seems to be.

Things that have helped me with mine:

1. Using yoga toes toe stretchers - stretching my toes out wider to provide a broader base of support seems to have done more to stabilize my ankles than anything else. After trying nearly everything, I was not expecting this to help and was astonished how much it did.

2. Strengthening my glute medius - Within the past decade, it seems like a lot of research has indicated that chronic ankle instability is often associated with glute medius weakness/dysfunction. Luckily a lot of floorwork exercises that you can do with a bum ankle strengthen the glute medius (ex. clamshells, leg lifts - like in pilates side-laying floorwork, like in Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs).

3. Wearing flat, wide, supportive shoes - no heels for me, ever. No pointed toes. I go out of my way to find shoes that are shaped like my feet. I like Keens, have had some success with round-toe Dr. Scholls ballet flats and some Born brand dress shoes. Shoes make a big difference. Maybe consider trying low or zero drop athletic shoes to avoid the more unstable raised heel.

4. Walking for warm-ups/fitness - if I walk for five minutes before working out, my ankles fare far better.

5. Carrying around light ankle sleeves - I pay close attention to my ankles and when they start to feel tired/shaky or sore I proactively put on light woven ankle braces (I hate the neoprene ones - they're too sweaty).

6. Wearing an ankle brace with gel pads in the evening - This is just for symptom relief, but I love it. I have this Mueller one , which I call my "pain brace". The gel pads provide pressure that makes my ankle stop hurting when I've overdone it.

What didn't help

1. Balance exercises - this could just be because my problem is so bad/seemingly unfixable, but balance exercises just make the pain and instability worse. I think it's because I have all of these stabilizer muscles that are already working overtime and as strong as they can get, and balance exercises just waste whatever strength I have there for the day rather than strengthening things. I look for exercises that keep both feet on the ground as much as possible (kettlebells are great for this). Balance exercises are probably great for rehabbing ankle sprains for normal folks, but once you hit chronic territory, I think they become more harmful than helpful.

2. Wearing hiking boots to support my ankles - I'm a hiker, which is probably dumb given my ankles, but I make it work by being careful and adopting other strategies. It may surprise you to learn I wear low hiking shoes, though. I think my body has developed a certain equilibrium when it comes to keeping me upright, and when I wore high boots that immobilized my ankles, all of the stabilization work ended up falling on my knees, and I quickly developed patellofemoral pain syndrome, which I'd never experienced before. I eventually managed to rehab it after switching back to lower shoes.

Hope your ankle feels better soon - it's such a frustrating problem to deal with.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 09:30 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for that detailed response, Eibhinn! Actually, I was perusing some old "ankle" threads last night and saw some replies from you.

Interesting about yours being congenital. My mother has weak ankles -- plus, I have joints that tend to hyperextend, which I suppose could be related.

I bought some yoga toes recently, hoping to help my PF! I'll have to actually use them, lol. (I keep forgetting...)

Gosh, all your suggestions are singing my tune! I love floorwork, and I never wear heels. (Pretty much live in Crocs, to be honest.) Thanks for taking the time to share what helps you!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 10:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Alison, I'm sorry about your ankle!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 01:56 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh, no. I hope you are all healed up ASAP.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle, ankle injury, ankle sprain, ankles, injury, sprain