Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-21, 12:55 AM  
sweetramona

Question Recommendations for split strength workouts

I would be grateful for recommendations for upper body and lower body strength workouts. I don't have a lot of strength DVDs, and the ones I have are mostly total body or too beginner. I need split workouts because I am adding these to 3x/week strength workouts with a trainer.

I have the Cathe LITE series and those are a pretty good level for me. I have the Peloton app and GHUTV, but I'd prefer longer workouts - ideally 30-50 minutes.

Any recommendations? I am tempted by the new Jessica Smith series, but those are mostly total body. Would a Cathe membership be too much of a challenge? I prefer streaming or downloads, but DVDs are OK too.

Thank you so much for any ideas!

Laurie
sweetramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 01:04 AM  
sillygirl

I just pulled out Jessica’s Walk Strong: Boost Metabolism + Muscle DVD today and it has 3 separate 35-minute circuits:
  • Upper Body Focus
  • Lower Body Focus
  • Total Body Focus
If you don’t already have it I think you’ll enjoy it as an alternative to purchasing her new Lift & Shift program. I only lasted the first 15 minutes of the Upper Body Focus. I really liked it and will will try it again tomorrow.

ETA: It’s available as a download on Jessica’s site too. You’ll just have to use Purple Player like how her Lift & Shift program works.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 05:51 AM  
Tugger31

I love Cathe for strength work because she provides great instruction. As far as being too challenging, with any strength work you can make it your own by using the weight that challenges you, not completing every single rep etc. Also pretty much all of her workouts can be done with just dumbbells. Also her total body workouts have premixes so you can do either upper or lower.

Kelly Coffey Meyer also has a split workout called Split Sessions. Her Muscle Up Lift 2B Fit is a split, but she does put arms together with the lower body for one split and the other split is back, chest and shoulders. These are both dvd and available as downloads.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 07:51 AM  
Karla25

Margaret Richard’s Sculpture, Getting Better & Triple Threat workouts are split into upper & lower body workouts. Getting Better is the easiest (and shortest) of the three, but still provides a very good workout.
Old 03-14-21, 11:58 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

If you like Cathe LITE upper and lower then you'll probably like Cathe ICE upper and lower.
Old 03-14-21, 12:03 PM  
alisoncooks

Doesn't the new Cathe have a split (perfect 30)?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 02:00 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Doesn't the new Cathe have a split (perfect 30)?
Yes, 30 minutes upper body and 30 minutes lower body. Among my favorite of Cathe's strength workouts because she doesn't have time to overdo it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-21, 11:44 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Both Cathe and KCM offer great split body options for strength training and Kathy Smith, Gilad and the FIRM have some options too. My favorites (some involve premixes):
Cathe - Pure Strength
Cathe - Muscle Max
Cathe - Power Hour + MIS + Body Max
Cathe - LITE and ICE series DVDs
KCM - Split Sessions
KCM - Muscle Up Lift 2B Fit
KCM - Body Shop
KCM - Build & Burn
KCM - Coffeyfit RAW (on YouTube -- check out the free goodies)
Kathy Smith - Project You series
Kathy Smith - Lift Weights to Lose Weight
Gilad - Quick Fix
Gilad - Express Workouts (on YouTube under the Discovery Channel)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 06:49 PM  
sweetramona

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I'm not sure why I let Cathe intimidate me - I do know how to modify! Based on all of this I think I am going to go ahead and sign up for Cathe on Demand and look for some of these others on trade lists.

Again, thank you!
sweetramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 07:30 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Yes, 30 minutes upper body and 30 minutes lower body. Among my favorite of Cathe's strength workouts because she doesn't have time to overdo it.

Carol
Lol!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
split routine, split routines, triple threat