Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-21, 11:26 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I have done the first 3 workouts now and I am so happy so far. I love the combination of the slow heavy reps with focus on stabilization and mobility. I don't think I have done anything else like this. A lot of it feels like prehab/rehab type moves with a focus on preventing injury and functional movement, at my age (50s) that is right up my alley.

She has clearly put so much planning and research into this project. It feels very current to me and not like the same old, same old weight lifting.

I also love her little motivational comments - she strikes the right balance of saying the right thing at the right time, and not too much of it. I really enjoy Jessica's personality. (and Peanut too!)

If you are on the fence about it I would say go for it. This is a really unique program. My only criticism is that she is closing it tomorrow. I do not like that marketing strategy that so many are offering now (like The Balanced Life). I think that was ill advised and I hope she changes her mind and keeps it up for sale, or offers it again before June.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 11:31 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm still salty about the digital-only thing, lol. All my devices are bordering on obsolete, but I'm not quite ready to replace them. I'm pretty sure (since my phone was unable to load the Lift & Shift site) that if I bought these workouts, I'd not be able to use them. Oh well...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 12:05 PM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2546 View Post
These sound amazing and I do.love jessica ! But it's just frustrating because of purple player and never really owning the workouts at that price. Cathe sells downloads and michelle dozois sell downloads that can be kept on USB or hard drive. Wish jessica would! Anyway enjoy. These sound terrific!

sue
I'm about ready to bite, but I have never used purple player, so I'm confused. We don't have these permanently accessible if we purchase them? Is it like some of the other year to year prices, or will have be able to keep them year to year (hope that made sense LOL)
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 12:08 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeLaVie View Post
I'm about ready to bite, but I have never used purple player, so I'm confused. We don't have these permanently accessible if we purchase them? Is it like some of the other year to year prices, or will have be able to keep them year to year (hope that made sense LOL)
No, these are yours forever. Purple Player (Purple Play) is just the means by which you can play them. It (PP) does not have any cost.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 12:48 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I don't know if this is a VF-er but this YouTube channel might help anyone on the fence. She's going through the program and posting videos of her doing the workouts. Here's her Day 1 post, and she has Day 2 and Day 3 on her channel as well: https://youtu.be/uCfXEt3Ehy4
Old 03-13-21, 02:34 PM  
StephE

Hello, I haven't posted here in forever, but I'm coming out of "lurkdom" to say Hi and that this thread has convinced me to purchase Jessica's new program, so thank you for posting your reviews!

I fell off the exercise wagon this past year, so I wasn't sure if I should buy this program as I know it will probably kick my butt! And I'm also about to turn 49, so I need to slowly get back to working out so I don't injure myself yet again. Ugh... It stinks how easily you can injure yourself in your late 40's if you start back too quickly! I'm hoping the slower pace of these workouts will help keep me from getting injured.

Anyway, I think I might first start with some of Jessica's easier programs I own before I jump into this new program, but I wanted to go ahead and purchase it now in case the price goes up later, as it usually does. However, I am tempted to go ahead and try some of the easier Lift & Shift workouts but with heavy modifications at first. I'll definitely need to take it slowly.

One quick question for those of you that have done several workouts already... how much floorwork is there in these workouts? It's not that I can't do floorwork, I just don't like it. LOL. I'm hoping these workouts aren't overkill on the floorwork.

Thanks again for the enablement!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 03:31 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
...My only criticism is that she is closing it tomorrow. I do not like that marketing strategy that so many are offering now (like The Balanced Life). I think that was ill advised and I hope she changes her mind and keeps it up for sale, or offers it again before June.
I also don't like this high pressure marketing strategy.

I think it's interesting that the program isn't on her jessicasmithtv.com page and she didn't post it to FB or Instagram until yesterday. She's been relying on her email list and word of mouth. Since she's responding to every post on the check-in, she may have wanted to keep the initial launch smaller.
Old 03-13-21, 03:35 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne29 View Post
I took a quick look at the article and it sounds like it wasn't a huge study (30 participants) though it apparently reinforces the findings of other studies that may be larger. If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like they compared the strength gains of three groups--those who stretched before a strength session, those who stretched during a session (say in between sets) and those who didn't stretch at all. The ones who didn't stretch at all had greater strength gains. What I don't understand though is how stretching right directly after a workout fits in. Maybe I missed something. (I was reading it before my morning coffee fully kicked in).

I've read that stretching after a workout invites injury because your muscles are warmed up and loose, and endorphins are flowing, so it's easy to overstretch. I'm going to avoid stretching after these workouts and see if I'm less sore. If I have greater strength gains too that would be awesome.
Old 03-13-21, 03:44 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I did the first workout and I liked it. I look forward to doing this one again and trying others.

I like that Jessica is by herself. She's easier to see and she can give more form pointers instead of checking on her backgrounders.

The picture quality was great and the I love the set decor.

I liked the music, but it was too quiet relative to her voice for me. I'll have to fiddle with the sound bar like kimf suggested.

The fact that it's considered 'advanced' makes me very comfortable modifying down. I don't feel that way with her other sets.

She didn't overdo shoulders and had back extension exercises which are big plusses for me.
Old 03-13-21, 03:46 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
I also don't like this high pressure marketing strategy.

I think it's interesting that the program isn't on her jessicasmithtv.com page and she didn't post it to FB or Instagram until yesterday. She's been relying on her email list and word of mouth. Since she's responding to every post on the check-in, she may have wanted to keep the initial launch smaller.
Yeah, I agree with you. And I literally just can't afford it by tomorrow, and we had just under 2 weeks from the announcement to the closing to know how much it was, how it was being delivered and what it was. My interest is definitely piqued by this system, but I just can't do it on this short of notice. If I'm still interested in June, I hope the price hasn't increased, but I also don't feel like I'll be incomplete without it.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping up with the posts here to see what everyone else thinks!

Tags
eccentric weight training, jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith strength, lift and shift, lift and shift reviews, purple player, streaming reviews, streaming workouts, strength rotation