Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-21, 08:25 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne29 View Post
So I just thought I'd say, there's none of that so far in Lift and Shift. Every move is set up so that you can choose a weight that really works for the muscle group you're working. And you're in a good position for every move as well.

Not trying to enable you all, but just thought I'd share my perspective.
Thank you for all your details; it's helpful!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 09:06 PM  
bubbles76

I mostly want these for Peanut. But I just don't think that's enough of a good reason
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 07:13 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I mostly want these for Peanut. But I just don't think that's enough of a good reason
LOL, Peanut is always a good motivator. And an excellent modifier! I have laid down on the ground and followed her lead a few times.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 09:16 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Thank you Cher for your insight. I don't mind fast-forwarding so I may start with a mixed circuit one.

Anne29, your reviews contain exactly the kinds of information I need to make a decision.
Old 03-12-21, 10:28 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
LOL, Peanut is always a good motivator. And an excellent modifier! I have laid down on the ground and followed her lead a few times.
LOL - we'll have to remember to include Peanut in all future threads about our favorite modifiers. She cracks me up and I must salute her dedication to her role as Chief Jessica Smith Modifier.

Anne29 - Thanks so much for taking the time to post your thoughtful reviews.

And thanks to everyone who has contributed. Part of me thinks I'd like these, but it's hard to justify when I have so much fitness media gathering dust.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 11:17 AM  
cailleach

I find Peanuts a good motivator and distractor.

When told to do another set, I distract my 'pain' by looking at the cute puppy.

"four more" [cuuuuute puppy]
"last two" [cuuuuuuuuuuuuute puppy!!!!]
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 11:25 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailleach View Post
I find Peanuts a good motivator and distractor.

When told to do another set, I distract my 'pain' by looking at the cute puppy.

"four more" [cuuuuute puppy]
"last two" [cuuuuuuuuuuuuute puppy!!!!]
Me too!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 10:58 PM  
Anne29

I’m so glad my posts were helpful! I thought there was a chance some of you had the same questions as I did. Jessica puts so much thought into her programs that I was ready to buy it regardless. I figured that even if it turned out to be on the easier side, I’d still get use out of it at some point (during stressful times or after an injury), but this program turned out to be exactly what I was hoping for—a little harder maybe than I was expecting, but good.

Speaking of which, I tried the Lower Body Circuit and Upper Body Circuit workouts and they both kicked my butt. The Lower Body one had a great variety of moves and I really liked the way she alternates between slow, controlled weight training and faster paced stuff. And she varies the number of reps you do in the different sets. You do 20 squats, but I think everything else is in the 10-16 rep range. It definitely gets your heartrate up, though it’s all low impact. There are some moves I’m going to have to be careful with, since I still have some back issues, but I feel like ultimately these workouts are going to make my back stronger. (For anyone with knee issues, she does do front lunges. She shows back lunges as a modification.)

The Upper Body Circuit one was also surprisingly tough. She does 20 reps per set again, and the pace is pretty slow, so eventually I started feeling it in my hands and wrists, just from holding the dumbbells so long. I’m sure I’ll adjust, and maybe I won’t try to do all the reps next time. All the moves make sense though--they’re really effective--and there’s a decent variety again even though you do the circuits twice.

I’m curious about how you guys feel about the lack of cool downs/stretches? I saw that Jessica cites an article that says it’s better not to stretch right after strength training, but I can’t seem to resist the urge to stretch after. The five-minute stretch segment she includes is great, and sometimes I do a longer one of Cathe’s. I can't believe it could really diminish my strength gains, but maybe I should read the article.
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 06:41 AM  
Cher

I did Lower Body yesterday too. It sneaks up on you! It is 3 Circuits with 2 Rounds in each circuit and a set of Band Walks in between each circuit. I did both rounds of the Circuit 1 and thought, “okay not too bad” but the first round of Circuit 2 kicked my butt. I ended up skipping around 2 so I could at least do the first round of Circuit 3 and after the first round of that, I was done! I have a long way to grow on this one! This one sort of reminds me of the lower body premix on Cathe’s Total Body Trisets.

Going to try Upper Body today.

Anne29, I believe that is what she said about stretching. It seems a little odd to me. Sometimes I do the 5 minute stretch or sometimes I just quickly do a couple hip and hamstring stretches on my own just because mine are always so tight.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 10:10 AM  
Anne29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post

Anne29, I believe that is what she said about stretching. It seems a little odd to me. Sometimes I do the 5 minute stretch or sometimes I just quickly do a couple hip and hamstring stretches on my own just because mine are always so tight.
I took a quick look at the article and it sounds like it wasn't a huge study (30 participants) though it apparently reinforces the findings of other studies that may be larger. If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like they compared the strength gains of three groups--those who stretched before a strength session, those who stretched during a session (say in between sets) and those who didn't stretch at all. The ones who didn't stretch at all had greater strength gains. What I don't understand though is how stretching right directly after a workout fits in. Maybe I missed something. (I was reading it before my morning coffee fully kicked in).

I'll probably do whatever my body seems to need, but I guess it's nice having an excuse to skip stretching if I'm short on time.

Re: the 20 rep pattern in some of these workouts: I read in the program guide that she did that because she assumes we don't have heavy weights on hand to really exhaust the muscles. Here's the quote: "The weight range recommendations we’ve made are based on home workout equipment. We know that many of you may not be starting out with heavy, heavy weights just yet (unless you are doing these from the gym, which works too!), which is why we’ve included a range of reps that goes as high as 20 per set. This is to allow you to fatigue your muscles with the weights you have."

I do have a pretty good selection of dumbbells, thankfully, so I think I'll drop down to maybe 12 reps per set next time.
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eccentric weight training, jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith strength, lift and shift, lift and shift reviews, purple player, streaming reviews, streaming workouts, strength rotation