Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-21, 02:52 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I know with certainty that i over-exercise. But my issue is not that I’m beat up - i just can’t lose weight. My other issue? I LOVE to work out. Love it. I look forward to it every day.
I could have written all those exact same words. Until very recently, this is exactly how I have felt. Love to exercise, can't lose weight, look forward to exercise every day. In fact, a while back, I posted a similar question on the Pahla B Facebook Group. I'm glad that I did. That group is so encouraging and helpful.

Without sounding too bossy or anything, and that's not my intention, if you want to lose weight, I highly recommend her e-books. They're linked in the description section of her videos, I believe. Once you understand her approach, it helps.

I also recommend her podcast and Live Q&A. I've been listening to both while stretching and whenever I have the time. I'm learning so much. For example, I often tell myself, "I can't lose weight," or, "My weight will never come off." She answers questions along that theme. It all starts with our thoughts, which create feelings. Once I think that I can't lose weight, my feelings change. Then this is followed by an action (overeating/mindless snacking, for example), behavior, and this ends up with a result/consequence. Most of us know this already. Her approach is a reminder.

Here are some notes that I have taken from listening to her. Sharing this is motivating to me also. I need to hear this sort of thing daily.

"At our age, I have to move the right amount and eat the right amount.
It’s not so much about much less or much more, but about being consistent.
Eating foods that you love, in portions that make sense, is the easiest way to lose weight."

"Food can distract you from your pain, but it cannot take away your pain."

"Try to keep it as simple and enjoyable as you can."

"The thought process has everything to do with what you’re going to get out of your diet and your workout."

"You can only take your body where your brain goes first. You have to be able to think good, healthy thoughts about yourself in order to live a good, healthy life.
In order to hang on to your results, you have to have the healthy thoughts that come along with it."

"Eat the right amount for what you want.
Do the right thing for your body for where you want to go."

"Water:
Your body can adapt to anything: extreme heat, extreme cold, sleep deprivation, food deprivation – all, except dehydration. When your body is dehydrated, it can’t function optimally."

"When you say something like, 'My willpower is horrible,' how does that make you feel?
You will feel defeated, dejected, sad, and apathetic.
When you feel defeated, that feeling doesn’t fuel positive actions. In fact, it will very likely as a self-soothing mechanism lead you to overeat or to eat mindlessly.
Your thoughts create your feelings.
Your feelings drive your actions.
Your actions are how you get results.
That thought, 'My willpower is horrible,' is driving the action of eating mindlessly.
The way to change your action is to find thoughts that are going to get you to those new actions.
You could learn how to stop eating mindlessly. You could read a book or watch You Tube videos.
You can tell yourself, 'I could learn how to stop eating mindlessly.'
That is a thought that feels kind of exciting and curious! That feels different than 'My willpower is horrible.'
Start with your thoughts and see where you can go with it."

Advice to me from someone on the FB Group:
"Since you're new to Pahla's workouts, I think you might enjoy starting with last year's 31-day program first. You may even wish to repeat it a few times before moving on to this year's.
You can also subscribe to her mini challenges; there's one each week for weight loss that culls videos from her 800+ options and puts them into a one-week program for you. All moderate, less repetition if that's what you're looking for.
Weight Loss Series, was last year’s (2020). Walk Off Weight is this year’s (2021). Both are moderate workouts and both are weight loss focused. Basically, they are similar. New workouts, for those of us repeating the series from last year over and over. I would suggest doing both (not at the same time, but if you’re doing the WOW series now, do the WLS next month) mainly because she gives a lot of information in the workouts, which is part of the magic of them. Other than that, there is no magic to the order of the workouts or doing one over the other."

"She plans these workouts to give us a moderate workout we can do daily with a good weekly mix of cardio, toning and strength with focus on core strength and balance. Both are meant to do over and over again until your weight loss goal is achieved."

“Weight loss is driven by eating the right number of calories consistently. You don’t have to workout at all. But exercising moderately every single day is good for your mental and physical health, so that’s why we do it.”

“Weight loss isn’t driven by exercise.”

“Working harder makes weight loss harder.”

“You certainly don’t have to do the exact same workout every day, but you need to be the exact same amount of moderate every day.
Consistency is what takes you where you want to go.”

I plan on starting her 31-Day Challenge in late March/early April. I would start sooner, but my fasting period (religious) is coming up soon. I have never done a challenge before. I've always thought that I would get bored. I have so many DVDs and YouTube videos to choose from. Now, I'm excited to try it out! Many on the Facebook Group repeat the two different Weight Loss Challenges over and over until they reach their goal. Then they move on to her Body Shaping Program. Her workout videos on the WL Challenge are worth doing, not just for the workout, but also for the helpful motivation, encouragement, and advice. That, for me, is worth far more than the actual workout.

I hope that you find whatever it is that you need to lose your thyroid/menopause weight. I hope that all of us struggling with this (me included) do the same. It's not easy, but I feel far more hopeful about it now that I'm learning more about Pahla B's approach.
Old 02-19-21, 06:34 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I did complete the whole 31 day challenge in January - I can't speak to weight loss because I didn't try to lose weight - and I really don't need to - I did put on some weight as a result of the pandemic, but I had also lost weight due to stress in 2019/2020 so while I'm a bit heavier, it is not entirely a bad thing.

I think what helped the most and what enabled me to be consistent w/ finishing the challenge (and I have terrible rotation ADD - once I start a plan I automatically start to miss something I'm not doing, so I generally don't last more than a week with most formal rotations) was the positive messaging in the workouts, as Negin mentions. And, the workouts are short and easy to fit in to my life. I did add on some other things mainly b/c w/ working from home I'm not getting ANY activity in - so sometimes I would do something in the afternoons as a break from sitting or I would add on some yoga or Pilates. I had to be careful not to over do anything b/c that is a trap I can fall into and then, end up getting injured. For good or bad, in spite of or because of being a life long exerciser, my body just can't perform the way it used to - it is what it is -and just have to work with what I have - so, more or less, doing super intense and high impact stuff is just out of the question for me.

I also love to workout and it is one of the best parts of my day, honestly, so I can understand that - and I think this is something that Pahla has also mentioned. I will probably not say this correctly, but in either one of her podcasts or one of her running/walking videos she mentions how she loves running and doing marathons, ultra-marathons, etc. She mentions how the pounds started to creep up on her and how she had to make a decision as to what was most important to her - running at that level or losing weight. I think at one point, she chose the running and then later decided to focus on the weight loss. So she talked about how she had to be ok with the extra weight in order to train for one of her ultra marathons. She says that now she has cut back her running and mainly does the moderate type exercise that she demonstrates on her channel.

So...I think it really comes down to what is most important to you - if you enjoy your workouts and are not getting beat up or injured from them you can decide to be ok with the extra pounds and continue on with what you are doing. Or, if you are very unhappy about the extra pounds, you can also decide to give this approach of moderation a try and see what happens. Like so many things in life we often can't have it both ways - but what you focus on is really up to you - so it is within your power to make the decision.

Prior to doing the 31 day challenge, I worked out w/ Pahla quite a bit in 2020 - not exclusively, but fairly often. I think if I were to get other things in my life to line up - like being consistent w/ calories, drinking my water, etc. I would get more visible results - but I'm really not 100% committed yet, to be honest. Maybe once I try to fit into my pre-pandemic pants, I'll feel differently, LOL!

This month, so far, I haven't done any workouts w/ Pahla and I do miss her messages and the consistency of a routine to follow - so I may go back to her soon - just felt like spending time w/ some other instructors for a change of pace!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 08:07 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Negin's done a good job of summarizing the essence of Pahla's thinking. I discovered her last summer when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the doctor told me to exercise, change my diet and lose weight. The exercising part was easy - I already did that - like many of us here on VF, I LOVED to exercise. I did change my diet as recommended by my doctor - to a low carb approach. I hope it's okay to say that.

What Pahla was saying about food and exercise made sense to me, because I had noticed that harder workouts - like I used to do - wiped me out for longer periods of time and I had a more difficult time being consistent working out. I started with her 2020 Weight Loss series and did it twice during the summer. I did other workouts during some Pahla breaks - mainly Cathe - and noticed that my weight loss tended to stall when I did Cathe's stuff, or even Jessica Smith's stuff. So I would go back to Pahla, and the weight would start to drop off again. I did her 2021 Weight Loss Challenge in January and lost some more weight.

I'll be the first to say that Pahla's workouts did not cause me to lose weight - that was all about my diet and how many calories I ate - but Pahla's workouts and messaging enabled me to do what I did, which was lose 28 pounds to date. I will be 65 this year, and I never thought I could lose that kind of weight at my age. Yes, it was the diet and calories, but Pahla's messaging and workouts were truly a key component of that weight loss. I'm now well under the goal I set for myself last summer.

For those willing to give Pahla's method a try, I would suggest you start with her January 2021 challenge workouts - I thought that challenge was more fun and had more variety than her January 2020 challenge workouts did. Read her ebook: https://pahlabfitness.com/weight-loss-over-50/ and give her a try. Like Donna and Negin, when I was actively trying to lose weight, I found that listening to her monthly YouTube Q & As, or weekly Facebook Q & As, very helpful.

Yes, she talks a lot! I get that - I'm a person who is worn out by being around other people and noise - but I've come to appreciate Pahla's chatter. It's a little bit like Charlene Prickett's chatter during her It Figures shows - it's almost all related to health and fitness. When I don't do her workouts, I start to miss seeing her.

As for moderation in workouts, you will feel like her workouts aren't enough. That's the idea! I did add on gentle walks, mostly with the dogs, and short daily pilates workouts and found that those did not push me out of the land of moderation. Moderation is different for everyone.

In short, I can't say enough good things about Pahla. I found her at the right time and ended up having more success than I ever dreamed possible.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 09:09 AM  
donnamp

Wow, Carol, that is awesome.

And yes, sadly, it is the food/diet etc. that drives weight loss. Pahla says this too - exercise is for fun and other health benefits, but weight loss is driven by things other than exercise - calories, water, hydration, moderation, rest and mindset.

Donna
Old 02-19-21, 03:58 PM  
momofcha

THank you all! I did three of her workouts, skipped a day and honestly found myself missing her chatter

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 08:30 PM  
Sollamyn

I've checked out her channel and her workouts seem good, but...I'm sorry...No music?! I love working out to music. I find it more motivating. Even innocuous dull, repetitive music is better than no music at all. In my opinion.

I admit I have not tried to do a full workout because of the lack of music. Maybe I should try actually doing a workout before ignoring her all together.

Donna
Old 02-19-21, 10:05 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I've checked out her channel and her workouts seem good, but...I'm sorry...No music?! I love working out to music. I find it more motivating. Even innocuous dull, repetitive music is better than no music at all. In my opinion.

I admit I have not tried to do a full workout because of the lack of music. Maybe I should try actually doing a workout before ignoring her all together.

Donna
Can you not play your own music in the background?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 08:48 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

Donna
I've always been a music kind of girl, but for some reason, this hasn't been a deal breaker for me. If you had asked me if I would ever do streamed workouts from someone's living room, with no music, and led by a chatterbox that never stops talking - I would have bet big bucks that I wouldn't. LOL. Never say never.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 08:53 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I've always been a music kind of girl, but for some reason, this hasn't been a deal breaker for me. If you had asked me if I would ever do streamed workouts from someone's living room, with no music, and led by a chatterbox that never stops talking - I would have bet big bucks that I wouldn't. LOL. Never say never.

Carol

Carol
Me too, Carol!! LOL! You can play your own music in the background if you wanted to - and you could probably even mute Pahla and just follow along. But, honestly, one of the things I have grown to enjoy about her workouts IS her chatter - it is very motivational, helpful, and real - sort of like you were working out w/ a friend in real life.

Donna
Old 02-20-21, 09:54 AM  
Sollamyn

Adding my own music? How would I sync it to her exact beat? I need to be on beat to the music in cardio workouts or it just seems...wrong. And I'm not a talented techie, nor do I want to spend time trying to figure that out when there are plenty of other workouts I enjoy that DO already have music.

I might give her a try sometime. Her chatter doesn't bother me. Being a vidiot, I'm used to that sort of thing.

Donna

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss