Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-20, 08:29 AM  
Demeris

Maintaining Height/Increasing Height with Exercise

Both Miranda Esmonde-White and Teresa Tapp relate anecdotes of clients who grew taller by doing their exercises, while in their 60s and 70s.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Has anyone heard or read similar claims by other fitness instructors?

Have you encountered any exercise modes/systems that claim to help one maintain height as one ages?

thanks
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:57 AM  
fanofladyvols

I hear and read alot about doing abs/core exercises, back and shoulder exercises to maintain posture so you don't hunch forward. Basically maintaining posture, which would maintain height in essence.

Do you think that's what they're talking about? I have always assumed that's what Miranda was really referencing.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 10:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I don't believe for a minute you can "increase height." You can reverse the effects of slouching, and appear taller than when you were habitually slumped over.

I respect and admire Miranda but when I was a subscriber to Essentrics and doing the workouts daily, I noticed Miranda making claims that are a little "stretched," pardon that awful pun.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 11:45 AM  
Eibhinn

This is one of those things that always annoys me with the misleading linguistic imprecision. The only things that will cause you to actually increase in height after your growth plates close at the end of puberty are serious health conditions like having a tumor on your pituitary gland. Do. Not. Recommend.

The effect fitness instructors are referring to is people improving their alignment and posture so that their effective height (ie. where the top of your head is when standing up against a wall) vs. actual height (ie. length of the body) appears to increase. My height as a teenager and young adult always measured at 5'4 3/4" so I always rounded up and said I was 5' 5". After spending a bunch of time concentrating on alignment and postural exercises, I actually started measuring at 5'5". I didn't grow, I was just standing up a little bit straighter.

This article about an 85 year old woman who improved her posture using yoga is a pretty inspiring example. Looking at the before and after photos, she'd probably register as being 2 inches taller now, but she obviously didn't actually grow.
https://nypost.com/2016/08/08/this-8...eep-you-young/
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 11:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don’t believe you can actually grow taller either. You can certainly improve your posture and as a result reach your true height and appear taller.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 12:20 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
This is one of those things that always annoys me with the misleading linguistic imprecision. The only things that will cause you to actually increase in height after your growth plates close at the end of puberty are serious health conditions like having a tumor on your pituitary gland. Do. Not. Recommend.

The effect fitness instructors are referring to is people improving their alignment and posture so that their effective height (ie. where the top of your head is when standing up against a wall) vs. actual height (ie. length of the body) appears to increase. My height as a teenager and young adult always measured at 5'4 3/4" so I always rounded up and said I was 5' 5". After spending a bunch of time concentrating on alignment and postural exercises, I actually started measuring at 5'5". I didn't grow, I was just standing up a little bit straighter.

This article about an 85 year old woman who improved her posture using yoga is a pretty inspiring example. Looking at the before and after photos, she'd probably register as being 2 inches taller now, but she obviously didn't actually grow.
https://nypost.com/2016/08/08/this-8...eep-you-young/
Ahhh thanks for that story!! So inspiring!!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 06-22-20, 12:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I don't believe for a minute you can "increase height." You can reverse the effects of slouching, and appear taller than when you were habitually slumped over.

I respect and admire Miranda but when I was a subscriber to Essentrics and doing the workouts daily, I noticed Miranda making claims that are a little "stretched," pardon that awful pun.
Lol, yeah, do the exercises bc they feel good..ignore the chatter

Old 06-22-20, 12:23 PM  
katalina

I did "grow" about an inch many years ago when I started exercising/doing Pilates. I always attributed it to better posture.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 12:24 PM  
Lori_Michigan

In 2016, I had been doing CS near daily for a year. My height at my yearly physical was 5'4 1/2" in 2015. In 2016, it was 5'5". Two nurses took it and were baffled when I told them I thought it was from stretching every day. It has stayed there, even taking a few months off each year since.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Both Miranda Esmonde-White and Teresa Tapp relate anecdotes of clients who grew taller by doing their exercises, while in their 60s and 70s.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Has anyone heard or read similar claims by other fitness instructors?
Have you encountered any exercise modes/systems that claim to help one maintain height as one ages?
Some instructors "enhance" the truth to promote their own systems. Improving posture can add height, but mostly if you had bad posture to start with. Many women in their 60's and 70's experience kyphosis. It is possible to prevent, lessen and even reverse it a bit.

I've always been a posture nut. After fracturing a vertebra, I had to be twice the nut I was to avoid kyphosis.

My favorite posture video is Janice Novak's "Posture, Get It Straight!" (Be advised that it is a DVD-R. I usually get riled up abut that. I like the workout enough to let that go. I digitized it and put it on my iPad.)

https://www.amazon.com/Posture-Get-S...2847126&sr=8-1

It also has the hardest seated ab work I've ever done.

She has a book, too, but the video is better.

***ETA: This workout is free on YouTube. Look for links in my post below.***

I'm a big fan of Bob & Brad, "The World's Most Famous Physical Therapists" on YouTube. They have several videos about improving posture:

https://www.youtube.com/user/physica...?query=posture

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, height, posture, sleep