Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-14, 03:07 PM  
bk1

Another scam... I got emails about jobs last year. One requested not only my resume, but my ss# and date of birth. I was wondering why they would need this info if I didn't even have an interview yet. Turns out this is one of the newer scams. I worked in IT and was skeptical, so I didn't give my personal information.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 07:03 PM  
Venus

Yet another scam...

I received a call this afternoon from a man saying I was going to receive a large compensation for a surgery involving a bladder sling/vaginal mesh. We didn't get very far because I immediately started asking questions. Who are you? Where are you calling from? Who are you looking for? etc. He said he was calling from a medical center in Georgia. I didn't understand him too well because he was getting upset with all my questions (sighing) and speaking too fast and also had a heavy East Indian accent. I finally hung up, but he called back. He gave me the spiel again and I asked 'Didn't I just talk to you?' He said they had information saying I would be compensated for a surgery involving bladder mesh/sling. He then asked if I'd had a bladder surgery. I said, 'Didn't you just say you had that information?' He hung up...I guess he got frustrated. By the way, I have not had bladder surgery.

I did find this information online: BBB warns of scams promising payouts for medical device settlements
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 06:40 PM  
hypnomoon

I got two postal money orders on my birthday this year totalling a bit more than $2900. If I deposited them in my checking account, kept $1000 for myself and sent the balance as a Western Union money wire, I was going to make quick money. All I had to do was answer some easy questions 'mystery shopping' the place I went to get the wire.

I took them to the police dept. instead. Even the detective said they looked like legit post office money orders. Naturally, they kept them.

About two months later, I got a check from some contruction type of business wanting me cash the check, and send a wire transfer with their questionnaire on how my experience was with getting a Western Union wire transfer. I just threw that one away. It was for like $1800 and I could keep $600 of it, per their agreement!

What was hard to fathom is that I have done legit mystery shopping during my merchandising career and I don't know if that is just a coincidence or if I got on some list.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 08:22 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

What is "mystery shopping?"
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 10:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
What is "mystery shopping?"
my neighbor did something like this - you are employed by a marketing company, and you shop/patronize certain businesses/products and evaluate what you think of the business/product. companies hired the marketing company to evaluate their company/product. the employees of the store you are shopping at do not know you were hired by that store to evaluate their business, hence "mystery shopper."

companies do this to test whether their workers are treating the customers the way they were trained to do.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 01:27 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Oh Gwynn, I’m so sorry to hear that. That is such a shame. Your poor FIL. I wish there were some way he could get his money back.

I have also gotten these calls and I've heard that Microsoft will not call anyone so I didn't fall for it. I LOVE that you asked him which computer had the problem!
I get the "Microsoft" call a lot. Almost daily--once twice in the same hour. The crazy thing with the twice in one hour--I told the man never to call me again, that I didn't have an account with Microsoft, I was on the no call list for solicitation and I knew it was an illegal scam. I told them I would be turning them into the police. Then the same man called an hour later with the same scam. I had heard this scam has cost some people a lot of money and they use the information to hack into computers. A Facebook friend who does tech support posted about it as it has brought her some extra work. I don't answer my landline anymore unless I know the number because most are this scam. He calls from different numbers as I have blocked a few already.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 01:34 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I'm in the U.S. and the do not call list has been useless. We still get a ridiculous number of calls. We just have to use caller ID to screen them and still one gets by us occasionally.

I don't know that it can really be stopped or prevented. I don't think there's any way to keep up with all of them.
True I seem to get more junk calls--either political (well that is done now) or scammers who don't care about the law. 90% of my landline calls are junk calls now. I only use it to talk to my parents and family that lives abroad now.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 10:43 AM  
mtnmom

Anyone get the IRS stating they've initiated a lawsuit against you?

I got a robocall the other day.

"We have been trying to reach you. (Really? I'm not that hard to reach!) This is your final notice. This is the IRS and we have initiated a lawsuit against you. (I thought you just notified me BY MAIL if I owe taxes, now you start lawsuits?) To get information on this claim, you must call 808-???-????"

I imagine that if I called that number, the first thing they would ask for would be my social security number.
Old 11-10-14, 10:58 AM  
Demeris

I got an email claiming I was being sued for not paying the toll on a toll road.

There are no toll roads in Arizona (or if there are, I've not traveled them, ever, in 57+ years).

I had, earlier in the summer, rented a car in Pittsburg to drive to West Virginia. The kid behind the counter asked me if I were going to travel on toll roads. I must have looked very confused because the young woman standing next to him asked me where I was headed. Then she said, 'She won't be on any toll roads.'

The only sense this spam email makes is if somehow they hacked Enterprise and got my email along with my rental car reservation.

I hit the spam button and deleted the email. I haven't heard from them since.

Oh, and I hate using the phone for almost any reason, so I answer the phone ONLY if I know the person AND I want to talk with that person. Otherwise, leave a message. That seems to eliminate those robocall/scammers.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 12:36 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
Anyone get the IRS stating they've initiated a lawsuit against you?

I got a robocall the other day.

"We have been trying to reach you. (Really? I'm not that hard to reach!) This is your final notice. This is the IRS and we have initiated a lawsuit against you. (I thought you just notified me BY MAIL if I owe taxes, now you start lawsuits?) To get information on this claim, you must call 808-???-????"

I imagine that if I called that number, the first thing they would ask for would be my social security number.
I picked up the phone awhile back, and it was from an individual with a heavy foreign accent purporting to be from the IRS. He claimed that we had unpaid taxes and would be sued if we didn't pay up immediately. I knew it was BS, plus we have a very good accountant who does our taxes. I said , "prove it". This non-plussed the person, and I hung up.

If there is a problem with your return, the IRS always notifies you by mail, NOT by phone.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
junk mail, scam alert, scams, spam, telemarketers