Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 03-24-02, 08:34 AM  
smartblonde

I'm so out of shape! How do you stay motivated?

I am new to this forum and am happy to have found it! I have posted on the Firm direct, when it was up and running. I thought I would introduce myself and share my situation.

Here are the stats...I'm 5'7" and weigh more than I ever have, around 155-160. I've never liked to exercise and never needed to when I was young. However, once I hit 23, started taking certain medications, everything slowed down...big surprise, I am no longer able to eat like my husband, NOT exercise, and get away with it. I've accepted it.

I'm convinced that adding weights into cardio is essential to achieving my goal...to lose 15-20 lbs. and tone up by summer. I've purchased a number of FIRM tapes over the past couple of months, but so far, I've stuck with the Basic series. Though I do like this series, I sometimes feel as though I'm not working hard enough, so last week, I thought I would try doing Vol. 6, thinking that the sooner I am able to do more difficult tapes, the sooner I will see results. OH MY GOD...I about died! I had done research on what tapes to get and thought this would be something I could perform, but I had to stop in the middle. I was so bummed, and I haven't done a tape since.

I so sick of my clothes being tight, and I refuse to buy a larger size. I know it's impossible to lose weight without exercise, especially considering how much I love to eat, but it's so hard to stay motivated! How do you all do it?
smartblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 08:43 AM  
Tait
VF Supporter

Welcome

When I first got Firm 1 while pregnant with my first son back in the 1989 all I could do was watch it. After 6 weeks, I was able to attempt it for the first time and it was so hard. I only did around 10 minutes the first time but I just kept at it until I could finish that darn tape. It took several weeks but the day did come that I could finish it and that was a very sweet day in my life.

Don't give up -- do what you can now and before long you will finish that tape. BTW, I am 5'7" and my BEST weight was 150 -- At 130 I looked sick all the time -- my best weight before the Firm was 140. Weight is not what I focus on as much as how I feel and how my clothes fit. BTW, I am starting over again myself after an absence of several years -- and I am taking those same baby steps again. You are not alone!

Susan
Tait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 09:00 AM  
Sherri

Vol. 6 is the best!

I got in shape with Vol.1 way back when, but after letting my fitness slip I got back in shape with the Basics and Vol. 6, so I understand your dilemma. I would suggest that you keep doing the Basics, but replace 1 workout per week with Vol. 6 and then increase that. One way to make the Basic tapes more intense is to pretend that you are being filmed and really go all out. Make your movements bigger and your knee bends deeper, etc. Also, not using the dowel makes the lunges more challenging. To make Vol. 6 easier there are some modification you can make also. For me the step ups on the aerobic step with biceps curls were very difficult, so I did them half time. I also did the tall box step ups on the aerobic box to make them do able, but I really concentrated on the muscle. For the hover squats I raised the size of my step 4" with a plastic hatbox on top, which made them easier. Needless to say, I used light weights to start and took little breaks when my heart rate got really high. Hope this helps.
Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 09:08 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Talking It's ALL in the attitude!

And that's a fact!

It's important to take baby steps and just plod along. Do what you can, little by little. Stay consistent, keep a log and as they say, "Just do it!"... you'll be amazed at what strides you will make over a short amount of time....

And not everyone has to be an advanced exerciser .... the key is to do what works for you. Have variety (can we help you choose some tapes -- let us know your preferences and what equipment you have... but then run and hide... and take your credit card with you.....tee-hee!)..

Join a check in .... to help you become accountable and to see your progress. Think of how quickly time goes by. What you can't do today... you'll look back in the summer and say, "remember when I couldn't do ALL of Volume 6?? and now I use 2 tons on the barbell when I do the squats/lunges/step ups..."... ok, so that's a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture!

Find an event or a gathering (they're the best), to look forward to. If you're local to the Cape area... or can afford to fly in... come join us at the AAAI conference. You'll have a blast, have something to "train" for and best of all, you'll see we're all ordinary people who just try to be the best we can and better ourselves. Home athletes if you will!

I never considered myself an athlete. Many people do. I'm a big person.... (I like the term "Clydesdale"....) but I have a spirit that doesn't quit, I have endurance like you wouldn't believe, I've lowered my blood pressure, I've helped other health problems I have, I've done my mental state a HEAP of help, I've made some friendships here that I don't know what I'd do without...... and all the while, have just conquered little bits and plodded along.

Aging happens. So does hormonal things (much to our dismay) and life's little problems..... as someone's post here says.... (although mine varies a little...) You can't control the wind, but you CAN adjust your sails...... !!!!

So, take it as it comes, little by little, join us, talk, chat with us on Friday nights (we're a fun motivating bunch although THEY have a tough time staying on topic!).... and keep reporting your progress. Big or small. You'll turn around in 6 mos. to a year or two or three and be singing the praises of VF and thanking us for being here and encouraging someone else who at that point will be new and frustrated!

Ok, off to have more coffee...

I OBVIOUSLY need it!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 09:16 AM  
smartblonde

thanks, cleda

Cleda,

Thank you for your awesome post! I have a real problem with expecting to be able to go "full force" from the beginning as well as expecting to see results after the first work out. I just need to be reminded that's not how it works.

Thanks again!
smartblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 10:22 AM  
Elisabeth
VF Supporter

The best way I keep motivated is by doing a wide variety of exercises. In the past, I've only done strength training or only cardio, and after a couple of months, I would get bored--and also stop seeing results, because I didn't change the tapes I was doing and try to add on or advance. My body would plateau, no more results, I'd quit.

But now, thanks to all the kind people on this forum who have helped me spend lots of money on videos, I'm getting to the point where I have a great selection of videos, so even on days when I don't feel like working out, I have something in my collection that I'll feel like putting on.

Buying yoga and pilates videos has been especially helpful for me. My upper body strength has really increased since I started doing yoga--I've gotten stronger through that than through lifting weights. I also really like the mental benefits. Even when I absolutely don't feel like working out, I never mind pulling my mat out and doing some yoga. So I do end up getting some exercise.

Joining a checkin here is a great idea. I finally joined one this past week after lurking for quite awhile. It's also really helped me to start keeping a log of what exercise I do. It's kind of silly, but I feel really good when I can write down what workouts I've done!

Another thought: could you get your husband to join you in some form of exercise? My husband is not a regular exerciser, but he does like going on hikes or cycling. Adding an evening walk, even if it's just 20 minutes or so, would be a nice way to spend some time together and you'd be getting some extra exercise in.

I think all the above advice about starting small is also really important. Sometimes I feel like I should be progressing faster than I am--or that I should be a more advanced exerciser. I even feel that way sometimes after reading posts here--especially when I see videos I love that are really challenging for me described as "great for the beginning exerciser"! But then I think about the progress that I have made. After taking several months off from regular exercise last year, I started working out for just 20 minutes at a time 3 days per week in December. Now I'm up to 6 days per week, about an hour per session. I haven't yet met my goals in terms of the clothes that need to fit--but I feel so much better about myself, I'm much stronger, have better endurance, and just generally feel physically fit.

Good luck--and let us know how you're doing!
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 10:40 AM  
Rainy L.
VF Supporter

I'm with Elisabeth on the journaling--it helps so much to have objective data in determining how you are progressing. That way, it's in black and white, uncolored by hormones, emotions, and circumstances.

Visualization has always been key for me. Visualize yourself looking, feeling, acting the way you need to to get you where you want to be. You know how you see kids with those WWJD (What would Jesus Do) bracelets? THAT's the idea. So come up with "What would FITSmartBlonde Do?" for when you're tired, or faced with slice of cheescake. Visualize it, then do it. If you fall down, visualize what you'll do next time. It helps to make up a list of qualities that you want to develop (disciplined, energetic, etc.) and use these in creating the visualizations.

Can't beat Cleda for pep talks, (there's not enough coffee in Montana to make me that peppy ), but I hope this helps.

Do 5 good Kegels right now!
Rainy L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 10:41 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Welcome to VF!

That's automatically a step in the right direction. Here's my two cents.

You've expressed your own self-knowledge in the admission "I've never liked to exercise." Think about the kind of "exercise" you've never liked. Then try to imagine a kind of exercise you DO like. The truth is, nobody in their right mind can consistently perform something they don't like to do.

So the trick is to find some kind of activity you DO like to do--that you WILL do--for maybe twenty minutes a day at first. Eventually, you can work up to thirty or forty minutes. If you do forty minutes of physical activity 5-6 days a week, you'll be on your way to a fit lifestyle. Temporary issues like weight (and eating) will fall into place as you begin to enjoy your new active self.

Most of us at VF have discovered that fitness videos give us the variety and challenge we need to stay motivated--not just for swimsuit season, but for life.

The variety can be a combination of outdoor activities like walking and running. Team or individual sports, like tennis or volleyball. We even hear from curlers! Some people here have extensive home fitness studios, with their own treadmills, rebounders, and spinning bikes. Some go to gyms or classes at fitness centers.

For most of us, however, basic fitness begins with a tv, a vcr, a few videos, and a time of day we reserve for ourselves alone, "sacred" and supported by our families.

After that, you just have to guard your credit card. The choices are endless. Videos, apparel, equipment, and trips to visit VFers! You never know. Find what's fun, and you'll be hooked for life.
Old 03-24-02, 11:02 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Welcome Smartblonde :)

You've gotten some great advice already but I thought I'd chime in too!

You should be feeling proud of completing that 20 minutes not discouraged! Next time try and make it for 25...then 30...then 35...you get the picture. I agree with Barb, you have to find something you enjoy or exercise will feel like a chore. Variety is key as well...some days you have the energy for a tough workout and some days you don't so having a choice makes it easier to not skip a day. Some days just a good stretch or yoga tape is all I can muster the strength for but I still feel good because I did something beneficial for myself.

Don't give up! Keep a mental picture of how great you'll feel this summer when you can get into those shorts and bathing suit {{{shudder}}} (I can't even think about that without wincing)
with ease. Keep us updated on how you're doing...we're here for you.
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-02, 11:07 AM  
Connie
VF Supporter

I so respect anything Barb L has to say! I read this thread just after I posted the following question in Cathe's forum (www.cathe.com which is Cathe Friedrich's website) in "Ask Cathe" which is right on this topic:

"Long term Fitness"

"This is a question for Cathe and others like her. I am interested in the thoughts you now have of what obstacles or ideas were most instrumental in your fitness journey. For example, helping others, in your case, Cathe, must have a big impact on your own fitness routine and how it has evolved over the years.
If anyone experienced can offer me some tidbits on how to grow and evolve over decades- even how to fine-tune one's shape or whether to just wait with a good balanced routine for time to gradually refine it- they will be greatly appreciated.

"A few facts about who's asking: I have been in and out of fitness routines since age 4 (ballet) and I'm now 42. After an ankle injury- I was out of shape, lost my balance on icy pavement- one year ago, I made a decision to get fit and get fitter/stay fit for life. I keep a mentor I once knew as a child, Maggie my modern dance teacher who was 50 and in great shape, in mind.

Thank you for your responses!
-Connie"

Well, Unless Cleda, Barb L, and the other respondents have said it all, maybe others will respond, Smartblonde! Welcome to the forum! -C.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, motivation