Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-22, 10:44 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I love that long one in the original set! The ballet part is tough and the dance is fun. And I love any of the originals with Andy, he's a cutie.
Yes! The sets on this disc are so calming, and it's a refreshing change of pace to change the set a little with each segment so you don't get bored. The ballet part is indeed tough, and I love the dancing. The music is so good. I love how into the music Teigh gets as she cues. Andy is VERY easy on the eyes.
Old 07-07-22, 01:00 PM  
kat999

Today I did Advanced Abs & Booty, which is 62 minutes long. As with the more beginner workout, I loved this one and in some ways found it easier, weirdly enough. This starts with a brief meditation with mudras, then a longer cardio dance sequence which is only difficult in terms of learning the choreography not because the moves themselves are hard. Lots of fun steps here with a lot of attitude. Then there is a longer segment that fuses ballet with standing yoga, and then there is a longer seated/lying yoga section which is meant to be your final stretch. That section was my favorite, as it was a great hip opener and deliberately moves very slowly. Everything ends with another brief meditation with mudras.

Most of this was honestly quite gentle. There's no weights, no impact, and you still get some good strength and balance training in the middle standing section. I still burned over 300 calories. My only complaint is that it is pretty long, but it's so relaxing and for working so hard, I don't feel exhausted.
Old 07-11-22, 10:48 AM  
kat999

Today I did Abdominals and Core Strength, which is three separate ~12 minute segments. I went ahead and did them all together, because they're not chaptered to do otherwise, but it wouldn't be too hard to fast forward. As with all of them in this original set, the full 40-minute session begins and ends with a meditation with mudras and mantras, and these consistently make me feel centered and calm. The three segments use the YBB squishy ball, and as I don't have that, I just used a soft 2-lb. weighted ball. It works just as well, although I think it's a slightly smaller diameter.

My favorite segment was the first one, probably because it was the easiest, and I really had to modify a lot on the last segment, but most of the moves are at least easy to understand. Everything moves at a very gentle pace, and everything is done either lying on your back, your stomach, or up in a side plank. Same beautiful blue-sky scenery as always. Even with how gentle and short-ish it is, I still burned 160 calories, and I feel fantastic.

On a side note, I'm currently rewatching Gilmore Girls, and Teigh McDonaugh was in a season 3 episode as Rory and Paris's fencing teacher! I thought that was hilarious. She looks very different and has short, red hair, but I recognized her and confirmed that it was her.
Old 07-14-22, 01:27 PM  
kat999

Today I did Sculpt, which is just over 50 minutes. It starts with a meditation with mudras and mantras, then proceeds to a four-limb segment that's just under a half an hour long. Teigh, Gillian, and the backgrounders use either 2- or 1-lb. weights here; I opted not to use any since it's my first time through, and it was still pretty challenging, as there are a lot of reps per exercise. I really like this segment a lot. Then we proceed to a VERY challenging ~20-minute yoga routine. I had to modify quite a bit here, but I did most of it as prescribed. There is no real stretch or savasana, though; you just move directly into a closing meditation with mudras and mantras. This one made me tear up for some reason, and I'm not even sure why. I just love how caring and sweet the mantras are, all about self-love and acceptance.

Another session full of beautiful scenery and music, as always, and I burned a whopping 260 calories.
Old 07-17-22, 03:57 PM  
kat999

Today I did Goddess Booty, which is just 22 minutes long. This is done almost entirely seated or lying down, with one section of standing ballet moves that also appear in the original workout. I like that this one is inside a studio and is just Gillian and Teigh solo, and even though the music is recorded instead of with a live drummer, it's still just as soothing and dynamic. I have to say even though I enjoyed this session and felt like a couple of the moves were mildly challenging, it is definitely more like a beginner/intermediate workout, and I only burned 94 calories total (so far, the other workouts in the program have me burning between 250-310, but they're also all longer). I definitely will keep using this, though, especially for more rest-focused days or as an add-on, and indeed I will probably add something else quick before I call myself done with working out today.
Old 07-18-22, 02:48 PM  
kat999

Today I did Yoga Core, which is just under 30 minutes long. There is almost no traditional ab work in this video, it's almost all Pilates-based. Not too hard, not too easy overall. This is another from the Master Series with just Gillian and Teigh in a studio together. Very soothing, fun music, and as usual they open and close with meditations with mudras and mantras. These I also find soothing and uplifting. The only section I modified was planks; there are a lot of them, and I really can't do them without significant modification. At times I did them on my knees, whereas other times I just stood up and jogged in place because I couldn't handle more of them. I'll work my way up. Planks have always been hard for me, but I just don't currently have the core strength to even really give them a try with anything like proper form. The next time I do this workout, I may have a yoga ball assist me or do them off the wall.

Another great one overall, though! I'm loving this rotation because it's gentle, fun, and you're kept interested throughout. This one also requires zero equipment, although I did use a yoga blanket during camel pose.
Old 07-20-22, 01:26 PM  
kat999

Today I did the Live Latin Flavor workout, which is 40 minutes and so much fun. It opens and closes with the usual meditation with mantras and mudras (for some reason I started crying during the opening one! ), and then proceeds in two halves: the first is standing Latin dance, and is all very easy and fun, and the second is floor barre, which is very similar to the New York City Ballet workouts. There's a very short yoga stretch at the end before the final meditation. Loved it, felt energized and happy afterward. This is probably my new favorite of the whole YBB series.
Old 07-21-22, 01:21 PM  
kat999

Today I did the Live Light and Easy workout, which is just 38 minutes long and very, very chill. There are the usual opening and closing meditation sections, and in between are a cardio dance sequence of about 20 minutes, a very short standing ballet section, a mat abs section, and then a short yoga stretch. I truly loved this one, maybe even more than the Latin workout, because the dance is fun and everyone seems to be laughing and having a great time throughout. Just a lovely session, and the calories-per-minute burn isn't too bad for being lower-intensity.
Old 07-23-22, 01:22 PM  
kat999

Today I did the Live Cardio Cabaret burlesque workout. I have to say, this is not my favorite style of dance, probably because I have a very low threshold for embarrassment but at least doing it in the privacy of my own home lets me try it out without feeling self-conscious. Ultimately, I found this to be very gentle and fun, with easy choreography and good variety. There are the usual opening and closing meditation/mantra/mudra sections, then a longer cardio dance routine, followed by a short standing ballet section and a yoga stretch. The music was great, and Gillian and Teigh were having a total blast. I was also pleasantly surprised that there's a guy in the class, and he was giving it his all! Super low-impact, and at only 33 minutes, it's great for days when you're short on time and just want to have fun.
Old 07-24-22, 04:26 PM  
kat999

Today I did the live Hip Hop Abs workout, and this was a lot of fun. The usual mudra/meditation/mantras are at the opening and closing. The first half of the 36-minute workout is a hip hop dance routine, followed by ab work on the floor; most of this is Pilates-based, but there are a few yoga stretches. This is one of the only ones that doesn't have a ballet section at all, and I found that I didn't really miss it. The ab section is tough and I had to modify a couple of things, but most of the workout overall veers between beginner and slightly intermediate; nothing too complicated.

Tags
instructors, standing yoga, ybb, ybb rotations, yoga booty ballet