Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-22, 09:11 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Thanks Cjayd! I want to be stretched out, but worked out. I've got yoga and stretch dvds for that, so I appreciate your view of Dynamic Flow. If it's more stretching than cardio it probably isn't for me. I was looking at Evolve, but then saw on a review that there's cursing in the music. Not looking for cussing in my music with Tiny Bubbles running around lol!

I feel like Buti is almost like dancing yoga. You are never really static very often. I do definitely get a cardio effect from a lot of their workouts. I think there may be some swearing in the music but I don't know if it's throughout all the programs or not. I don't pay a lot of attention. I do prefer the workouts with less vocals. I think language wise you would be very safe with the Soul Sweat DVD series. The music in the streaming workouts is probably mostly current stuff (but I don't really keep up with current music, so I could be wrong!) but there is a variety. Some I would classify as more hip hop, some is electronic and ambient with vocals (think Enigma if you're familiar with them), some rave-y type techno, some Trip Hop (think Portishead/Massive Attack), some tribal, some funk, some world groove type stuff. All really good beats, mostly faster tempo. There's also some rock and pop as well.

I think my overall recommendation based on everything you've mentioned would be Soul Sweat. You are constantly moving but nothing gets too crazy! And the music is more on the electronic/Trip-hop side. It's my favorite as far as music goes
Old 06-14-22, 06:19 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks ladies! Hmmm...so Soul Sweat and maybe a beginner dvd like Foundations or Rise so I get the moves right. Decisions, decisions....

ETA: I've got Portishead, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Enigma, Thievery Corporation, and world grooves in my truck at the ready
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 06:25 PM  
bubbles76

If anyone is interested, a lot of the aforementioned dvds are now down to $6.49 each.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 07-09-22, 09:04 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks ladies! Hmmm...so Soul Sweat and maybe a beginner dvd like Foundations or Rise so I get the moves right. Decisions, decisions....

ETA: I've got Portishead, Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Enigma, Thievery Corporation, and world grooves in my truck at the ready
Haha, of course we have similar taste in music How about Tricky? I'm a big fan of his music as well!

Quote:
If anyone is interested, a lot of the aforementioned dvds are now down to $6.49 each.
Now is really the time to purchase backups!! Thanks for posting that

Did you end up getting any of the sets? Mary (totalfitnessdvds.com) added Soul Sweat, Shakti Sweat and Dynamic Flow back to her inventory shortly after this thread was started, so there are some decent clips on her site for those.
Old 07-09-22, 11:21 PM  
bubbles76

I don't think I've listened to Tricky. Must investigate

I got Rise, Foundations, and Shakti Sweat. After looking at clips for Dynamic Flow I may go back and get that one. Or maybe they will let me edit my order?
Old 07-10-22, 07:26 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I bought Rise when this was first posted but now I'm going to order Soul Sweat based on the music discussion. It's still 12.99 but I don't want to wait to see if it drops. Even though my current workout plan takes me through the next year.

I loved Tricky and Portishead back in the day and a lot of my favorite present day deep house has trip hop elements. I also love edm with tribal/world groove so I'm excited.

I already know I like the Buti style. It's very challenging for me so I was glad to order Rise.

Thanks for posting these deals!
Old 07-10-22, 11:51 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
I bought Rise when this was first posted but now I'm going to order Soul Sweat based on the music discussion. It's still 12.99 but I don't want to wait to see if it drops. Even though my current workout plan takes me through the next year.

I loved Tricky and Portishead back in the day and a lot of my favorite present day deep house has trip hop elements. I also love edm with tribal/world groove so I'm excited.

I already know I like the Buti style. It's very challenging for me so I was glad to order Rise.

Thanks for posting these deals!
Music makes a difference to me in workouts, and trip hop is like my "home" music, like it's in my soul! It makes a workout so much more enjoyable to have music you vibe with. I'm happy to see others here with the same vibe

I definitely took the opportunity of this sale to get backups of several of the DVD sets, and I even purchased Evolve and Primal Flow, which I really didn't have a lot of interest in but figured the price was worth trying them! Somehow an extra set of Buti Bands, a drawstring bag, and a few thermos/water bottles made their way into my cart as well This is what VF is all about!!
Old 07-17-22, 04:10 PM  
bubbles76

Let me know how you like Evolve and Primal Flow. I read some F bombs were dropped in Evolve. I was interested in that one before I heard that, but if the cussing isn't excessive I may still consider.
Old 07-22-22, 05:08 PM  
carly

Bubbles, I’m disappointed with the review of Evolve DVD's "cursing" on Buti’s website. I feel it's unfair and probably has impacted sales. I can’t promise I didn’t miss something, but on quick preview I only found one song of concern – workout #2, 12:30 – 15:30 minute mark, chorus “I’m a f***g monster….” repeated 3 or 4 times throughout the song. The vocals weren’t very load but the words were discernible.

Ben White’s voice is strong and center stage throughout all audio segments. Eighty percent of the music is instrumental with no vocals. The words in most the vocal segments are indiscernible. But be warned, Ben often bellows out “woo” or “whooowee” when he is in a difficult pose or is out of breath……kind of quirky at first…but I got used to it…you are good unless tiny bubbles takes up the habit.

Cjayd’s comments are pretty accurate. The workouts range from 45 to 57 minutes. There are no chapters, but there is a stretch/slowdown segment at the 30 minute mark which is a good stopping point for a shorter workout.

I like what I saw but will be starting with the RISE workouts. There were a few poses I may never achieve but he moves on fast and I can substitute. I like the music and prefer this technique to basic yoga which I can never stick to…yawn..

Thanks to you and zraipel I was able to take advantage of the July 4th $6.49 sale. Customer service was awesome in helping me with my order. Hopefully they will have a Labor Day sale for those who missed out.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 08:01 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Bubbles, I haven't tried Evolve yet! It really wasn't on my radar until it was available for such a low price, so I might not get to it for a while. But I will try to give it a shot at some point and report back, haha!!

Carly, I'm with you on yoga in general. Every time I've tried to do it, I just never ever enjoy it. Buti tricks me into liking yoga the same way Ilaria tricks me into doing squats and lunges, lol

Tags
buti, buti yoga