Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-22, 12:43 PM  
DCW

After seeing some of the temperatures that some of you are experiencing, I need to be quiet and walk. My coldest temperature is a heat wave for others. Grateful that I can walk and if it's cold, it's not frigid.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 02:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
After seeing some of the temperatures that some of you are experiencing, I need to be quiet and walk. My coldest temperature is a heat wave for others. Grateful that I can walk and if it's cold, it's not frigid.
Hey, we all have our thing! It was -6 when we walked this morning and I would take that over 75 any day! I start to melt when it's over 65.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 02:57 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have a SAD lamp and a light box but I don't leave them on all day. I try to site in front of the light box for 30 minutes a day in the winter but haven't been doing it lately.
Get back to it! They really do help. Maybe not a super ton, but they do.
Old 02-07-22, 05:16 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

I do like warm weather, but I'm totally dreading the clock change in March. Last year it did a number on me - even w/ working from home and having a freer schedule. The extra hour of daylight that came upon us so abruptly really set off feelings of anxiety and being "rev'd" up. I wish that we could do away with messing with the clock. I'm sure if given time, my body would adjust - but it literally happens overnight when we do that spring forward.
I agree!! It's very weird ... I get all rev'd up with that extra sunlight "after work", but it's too cold to do much outside. March in Maryland can still be quite cold! Then I'm still indoors and can't work off that extra energy.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 05:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

17 inches of snow on the ground and -10 this morning, so I totally hibernate. I've never had energy at this time of year, although I've tried to convince myself otherwise (like last year when I tore my meniscus from working out too hard!). I recently pulled an abdominal muscle simply by sneezing too much (part of my perimenopause constant injury parade: knee, shoulder, lower back, and now abdominal muscle).

So I'm giving myself February off. I will walk on my treadmill (and look at the snow) but if I don't have to go out, I'm cozy on the couch with my dog and blankets.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 02:37 AM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t
Same!!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 06:11 AM  
DCW

In one week, I have seen the red tail hawk three times in my neighborhood. Around this time last year I saw an eagle who does have a nest in the vicinity. So far no sightings of the eagle in my neighborhood. Yesterday's walk in a different location by a river I saw an eagle.

These bird sightings helps me to stay motivated.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 02:04 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I feel better after reading this thread. I typically have little energy this time of year and so far 2022 has been pretty flat. I’m listening to my mind and body and taking care of myself. I had to let my eldest cat go last week and that definitely has put me in a different mode. I am moving and doing workouts, but nurturing myself as well.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 05:08 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks so much for all the discussion and information. When I started the thread, I was trying to figure out how to move at all. Some of it was the season and some of it was health issues. Since then, the health issues that kept me so immobile have been largely resolved, so that led me with the lack of motivation.

Thanks to all the good info here, I have thought about how to make my exercise goals more seasonal. It has been an interesting topic.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-22, 05:40 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliel View Post
I feel better after reading this thread. I typically have little energy this time of year and so far 2022 has been pretty flat. I’m listening to my mind and body and taking care of myself. I had to let my eldest cat go last week and that definitely has put me in a different mode. I am moving and doing workouts, but nurturing myself as well.
I’m sorry to hear about your cat. It’s always so hard to lose our beloved pets.

Tags
cold weather, motivation, sad, seasonal disorder, winter blues