Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-22, 12:13 PM  
zoegirl

I did it - Cathe Live!

After hemming and hawing for forever, I signed up yesterday. Did a 30 minute cardio last night. I am mainly an intermediate exerciser, looking for strength workouts in the 30-45 minute range. Seems like most were longer than that. Any suggestions for modifying or how to find my sweet spot here? At first I thought I might regret it, that it would be harder than I am used to. But I am the first to admit that I could use a push - not going to increase my strength doing the same old same old. Looking forward to your ideas/motivation!

Full disclosure: I also subscribed to Beach Body, for the Barre Blend workouts, that are all about 30 minutes. So maybe a longer Cathe strength workout 2x a week, and Barre Blend 2-3x a week, with a little bit of cardio (usually Leslie) to balance things out?
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 08:28 PM  
fanofladyvols

Oh how fun!! Congratulations!

I like your plan because my body does best when varying the intensity.

Have you gone and looked at some reviews of the lives ? That's the only thing I would mention doing to make sure you could try ones that are what you are looking for?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 12:16 AM  
LizEMA

Zoe,
I'm going on my 6th straight year with CL, and it is STILL the best money I spend every month and my best fitness purchase to date!

Are you looking for total body strength routines or splits of upper and lower? I categorize all the CLs, and I have a whole running list of ones 45 mins and under. (I let ones that are up to 48 mins in there, too.) I can pull the strength ones for you and paste them here. Just let me know which ones you are interested in.

As far as modifying, I find that simply adjusting your weights up or down is sufficient enough, especially for strength work.
Old 01-20-22, 09:02 AM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Have you gone and looked at some reviews of the lives ? That's the only thing I would mention doing to make sure you could try ones that are what you are looking for?
Great idea! I didn't realize there WERE reviews! I'll check it out!
Old 01-20-22, 09:03 AM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
Zoe,
Are you looking for total body strength routines or splits of upper and lower? I categorize all the CLs, and I have a whole running list of ones 45 mins and under. (I let ones that are up to 48 mins in there, too.) I can pull the strength ones for you and paste them here. Just let me know which ones you are interested in.

As far as modifying, I find that simply adjusting your weights up or down is sufficient enough, ESPECIALLY for strength work.
I am looking for both total body and mainly upper body. Your list would be great! Thank you! And great idea to adjust my weights. I appreciate your input!
Old 01-20-22, 09:09 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I think this is my 3rd year as a Cathe Live subscriber, and I couldn't agree more that this is by far the best use of my time and money.

I only do the weight focused workouts and I can assure you that there are many in the 45 minute range since that's all I do. I have a list, too, that I'd be happy to put together. The search button at the top is great and I think there may be an under 45 minute category. Usually anything with "Express" in the title is near 30 mins.

Cathe has been really good about adding modifications in the past year or so. I modify nearly everything, from burpees and planks (I use a sturdy chair) to floor work, and I never do the high impact stuff. I sub in whatever I want. For weights, for upper body, I'm not nearly as strong so I use about half or 3/4 of what Cathe is using. For lower body, I'm stronger there so I use probably 3/4 or what Cathe is using. My highest dumbbell is 15 lbs.

There's also a lot more resistance band and loop workouts lately, which I really like.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:35 AM  
fanofladyvols

Here are some review sites..there may be others..

https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/post/...umerical-order

https://2lazy4gym.com/cathe-live/

I know some folks have spreadsheets with personal thoughts that might be a good idea for you to keep

As far as modifications, I don't do Cathe lives but I do Cathe workouts and modify frequently.
What are you needing to avoid/limit...is it an injury?

To lighten intensity in general:

Reducing weight for a set, or eliminating the weight entirely for a set or the whole exercise. Focus on form and muscle engagement;

Reduce the number of reps;

If Cathe props any part of her body or adds hops or jumps.. keep it on the floor or raise up only on your padded forefoot;

To save time, eliminate the core work sessions and save for another day;

Reduce tempo (similar to reducing reps but for cardio)..do it in two or four beats instead of single, and finally, my favorite..

Just take a water break and do some mobility instead of a set of exercises. I like to do this on the second set.

If you meant you needed thoughts in modifying for some other reason, please post. I'm sure someone else will gladly offer thoughts.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 02:40 PM  
LizEMA

Here's my list, Zoe. I hope you find it helpful.
I left whatever personal notes I had about the WOs in. I'm not very consistent as far as including equipment needed and/or Cathe's blurb of the WO. Any WO that requires a step, though, I always note, as that is something I often want to know when going in to my WO.

I also have a separate list for Bootcamps/cardio & strengths. Would you like those, as well?
I find whenever I am restarting my WOs, I like those because there is a little bit of everything but not too much of anything. Let me know.

And, Linda made a good point, which I employ, as well -- go slower than Cathe! I do this often for UB WOs esp but even for LB WOs, as well. And sometimes I do another one of Linda's suggestion -- do less reps. Both modifications serve me well in altering C's WOs to work for me.

Also, in general, the earlier Cathe Lives are more intense/advanced than the later ones so you may way to start with the most recent ones, then work your way back.

Upper Body
  • Strong Upper Body Express (70), 40 mins; 3:30 minute warm up, 7 minutes core, 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment needed: a STEP w/ 3 risers on each side, a flat resistance band, a variety of dumbbells and a mat. The dumbbell weights Cathe recommends are 5, 10, 12 and 15. You will use the 5 lb dumbbells both in the warm up and for a finisher exercise.
  • Barbell Upper Body (36), 42:30 mins; 5 minute warm up, 3:30 minutes of abs/core and 2 minute stretch. Equipment needed: a barbell with various plates (Cathe had two 10 pound, two 5 pound and two 2.5 pound plates) and a STEP w/ 3 risers on each side. HIGH REP wo.
  • Upper Body W/ Core Express (139), 45 mins; 4 minute warm up, 28:30 minute upper body strength, 9 minute core and 3 minute stretch. Equipment Needed: Various weighted dumbbells, A full sized STEP (to act as a weight bench only...no cardio), A fitness mat. VERY thorough and comprehensive
  • Buff Upper Body (163), 48 mins., STEP Corework @36 mins Really different UB WO, set up in a giant set fashion
  • 2018 Glassboro Road Trip Upper Body & Core (208), 45 mins.,
  • Awesome Upper Body (229), 40 mins., STEP
  • Strong Express: Upper Body (234),36 mins., STEP
  • Stacked Sets Upper Body (240), 44 mins., STEP
  • Touch Up Training: Upper Body (296), 44 mins.,
  • Burn Sets: Back, Chest & Shoulders (302), 48 mins
  • Burn Sets: Bis & Tris (304), 39 mins,
  • Metabolic Upper Body (316), 48 mins,
  • Upper Body Shred (328), 49 mins.,
  • Low Impact Cardio Compound Upper Body (336), 47 mins.,
  • Upper Body Pump (344), 45 mins., 4 rounds of high rep, grouped, upper body exercises: Biceps/Back, Shoulders, Chest/Triceps, Core!
  • Lift It Split it Upper: Back & Biceps (346), 42 mins.,
  • Pumped Up Upper Body (360), 45 mins., STEP 3 risers great music, one of my fave sndtrks.
  • Chiseled Upper Body Blast (370), 38 mins., Set up in giant sets: Shoulders, Back, Bis, Tris, Shoulders AGAIN!, Chest

**UB focus are not pure strength WOs but have a strong upper body emphasis, IMHO, so I included them for you, as well.

Upper Body Focus
  • Ramped Up Cardio & Weights (119), 45 mins; 6:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Cathe uses a set of 10, 12 and 15 pound dumbbells. This was an excellent WO to do after a leg day. A little cardio (nothing too intense/HIIT, just blasts) and some strength work. Not as UB intensive as I thought it would be, though, you do get quite a bit of UB work (and a really lovely mix of it), but she SLAMS the back at the very end with lat pulldowns, a bazillion rows and PUs. This WO goes by pretty fast, too.
  • Compound Giant Sets (58), 42 mins; set of 8 pound dumbbells and a fitness mat. upper body focused but metabolic? YES
  • Fit ‘N’ Firm (67), 48 mins; 6:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment needed: A set of 5’s, 8’s, 10’s for hand weights, a 6ft medium tension band and a fitness mat.
  • Metabolic Burn (170), 48 mins., This was an AWESOME WO, and SUPER UB-focused, as the clip implied. But, I was surprised at just HOW UB focused it was. I was burning during almost EVERY UB move. Whoa! And lots of good (indirect) core work, too! Could add on some more core work.
  • Upper Body Circuit with HIIT (216), 43 mins.,
  • Breathless Upper Body (225), 44 mins., STEP So, I kind of loved this WO. I LOVED the format of it, and the way Cathe set it up. 4 circuits, each containing a block of cardio (4 moves), then a block of strength (4 moves), supersetting a particular muscle group. SUCH a great way to dip my toe back in to proper strength training. She does very modest reps counts so you can go proper heavy.
  • Calorie Crush (228), 47 mins.,
  • Total Body Stability Ball (248), 45 mins., 5:30 wu core starts @ 35 mins, 6 mins
  • Metabolic Madness (263), 46 mins.,
  • Metabolic 300 (300), 49 mins.,
  • Metabolic Circuit (321), 47 mins,
  • Fantastic Elastic (322), 47 mins,
  • Metabolic Conditioning 2 (353), 49 mins.,
  • Birthday Bash Workout (354), 46 mins.,
  • A Christmas Ball (375), 48 mins.,

Total Body
  • Push Pull Total Body (45), 41 mins; 5 minute warm up, 3 minutes of core and 3 minute stretch. Equipment needed for this workout is a barbell, various dumbbells, a chair and a mat. I used my square high step at 14 inches rather than a chair. Surprisingly comprehensive and INTENSE! Finished off with JF OWO floorwork
  • Strong Total Body (76), 47 mins; 5 minute warm up, 5 minutes of core work and 2 minute stretch. Recommended equipment: dumbbells from 5-20#, a STEP w/ 3 risers on each side and a mat. This was surprisingly intense! She didn't even do high rep or heavy weights! AND, this wasn't even LONG! But, I was going to failure! Whoa!
  • ICE Total Body Compound (84), 43 mins; 7:30 min warm up and 3:30 min stretch. Equipment needed: various dumbbells and a fitness mat. Not pure strength, more toning?
  • PHAT 2 (94), 45 mins; 5 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment needed: a variety of dumbbells, a full sized STEP (3 risers on each side) and a mat. You do 12 reps of every single exercise except push ups. LOVED!
  • PHA 3 (184), 47 mins., almost everything done for 16 reps.
  • PHA 2020 (278), 44 mins,
  • Boot Camp: Heavy Weights (303), 47 mins, STEP 4 risers under each side!
  • Push Pull Total Body: Heavy Weight (309), 44 mins.,
  • PHA Supersets (314), 43 mins.,
  • Double Trouble (340), 46 mins,
  • PHA Supersets 2 (366), 45 mins., SUPER fun. Great for when tight on time. Rep range is 12-16 reps for almost everything so can go HEAVY.
  • Total Body Circuit (377), 46 mins.,
Old 01-20-22, 03:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Liz, thanks so much for sharing your notes! Coincidentally, I'm a somewhat recent CL subscriber who then got injured, so I've been looking for the same things as zoegirl, so this is very handy!!
Old 01-20-22, 03:38 PM  
zoegirl

Such great ideas, everyone! Thanks so much! Didn't get to start last night as my dad ended up in the ER, now ICU. He is doing OK, not life threatening, just takes a lot of time to go see him since I live in another town. Hopefully tonight I can start with something. I so appreciate all the help from you!

Tags
cathe, cathe live, cathe live favorites, cathe live spreadsheet, cathe live workouts