Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-21, 03:06 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post

I'd agree that it feels like grieving. I have been grieving for the person and the fitness level that my body provided for years without all of these injuries and now limitations.

Don't feel like you're alone on that couch. So many of us are there with you. I think the fact that you want to get a different place can inspire so many others. You are one tough cookie, and smart, and determined. You got this. Whatever your recovery entails both mentally and physically, you got this.
Thank you so much! I know you've been struggling, too.

Sometimes the support here at VF is so overwhelming to me. I appreciate it very much and it means more than you all will ever know.

A big heartfelt thank you to everyone.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 09:31 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

The advice may not be all that useful, but I still appreciated this article about "'disenfranchised grief'...this feeling of loss that no one seems to understand and that you don't feel entitled to.".

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/10024...hey-seem-small
Old 12-28-21, 09:35 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I know I've been too easy on myself during the pandemic because I've been afraid of getting hurt or doing too much and getting sick. Settling for any type of movement. Now the pendulum has swung too far the other way and I'm weak and injury prone.

My yearly Essentrics subscription is up in January. I canceled so that I don't get distracted from my strengthening plan.
Old 12-28-21, 09:42 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
The advice may not be all that useful, but I still appreciated this article about "'disenfranchised grief'...this feeling of loss that no one seems to understand and that you don't feel entitled to.".

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/10024...hey-seem-small
Thank you.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 09:45 AM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you. As of now, I can only lie down and elevate - I can't even sit up with my foot at waist level so it's hard to find much to do for exercise. I'm using resistance bands for upper body but not really accomplishing much. I have other things I can do but I am just lost without my normal routine and I miss working out so much. It made me feel so good mentally and physically. I probably should not be on VF during this time. I have had foot injuries before and was able to exercise around them but can't do much of anything until my foot doesn't need to be elevated so much.

Erica
I see Using resistance bands for upper body is something. I've been doing Yoga with Adriene and she always says "A little goes a long way." Regarding VF, you could try reading old threads or reviews if keeping up with the latest is stressful. Sometimes, I like to look up old threads and write down rotations I would like to try in the future. You could organize your DVD collection or make up new rotations for when you are back on your feet. Beginner rotations or rotations for after surgery might be good to look up on VF. I know it's not the same as your normal routine, but it might help with motivation and looking forward to recovery. Mental health is as important as physical health

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
... but not *on* Jan. 1, because I've committed to 108 sun salutations at the yoga studio that morning. (I've done 108 a few times before.)
Thanks for mentioning the 108 sun salutations. I've wanted to try that and I think I might go for it this New Year's Day. I previewed a few practices on YouTube and I want to try this one:
108 Sun Salutations Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga w/ Erin Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I'm thinking of doing different rotations this year, starting with a male instructor only rotation for 2-4 weeks, then a week of kundalini yoga etc.
I seem to remember someone did themed monthly rotations a while back (I think it might have been bubbles?). I can only remember one theme was for Black History Month, but there were more themes. That was something I wanted to try (haven't yet!).

I went and found the thread (it was bubbles!). I thought it might have been from last year, but it's from earlier this year:
How do you stay excited about your DVD collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Most of all, I’m not going to be hard on myself, enjoy working out and movement in general
Sounds like a great plan! I've managed to be more consistent this year, but I found it difficult to stick to a beginner level at first. I just want to encourage you to start with a comfortable level and stay consistent. Even when I didn't feel I had a tough workout, just being consistent and getting some movement in daily has made a difference for me. Good luck!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 12:13 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Karla - I was also thinking about a male instructor rotation - I was thinking about Gilad and Dean from Man Flow Yoga. But, it is so out of character for me loving the feminine workouts that Ellen Barrett puts out. Maybe I can do two days with the men, one day with Ellen. LOL!

Who are the guys you will workout with?

Donna
Here are a few: Gilad, Erich Schiffmann, Tilak Pyle, Rob Glick Mitch Gaylord

I have many workouts with male instructors in yoga, barre, cardio, weights etc. Unfortunately, I don't reach for them very often. Some are vintage workouts such as Body by Jake and Buns of Steel. I will put a thread to see if there's interest in a check-in which will also help keep me on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Sometimes the support here at VF is so overwhelming to me. I appreciate it very much and it means more than you all will ever know.

A big heartfelt thank you to everyone.

Erica
{{HUGS}} It won't be long before this ordeal of your injury is just a memory. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

You are right, there are some truly amazing people in this forum.
Old 12-28-21, 12:15 PM  
Sollamyn

My plan, for now, is to join a check-in and hold myself accountable to more regular exercise. I doubt I could stick with a rotation, but just working out regularly would be a big challenge for me so I'm gonna go with that. If I get good at regular exercise and checking in, I may go for a more structured program later in the year.

Donna
Old 12-28-21, 12:23 PM  
star117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
This year has been tough for me emotionally and physically. I have not worked out most of the year and have lost all my strength and cardio endurance as well as core strength. Even beginner abs workouts are hard now. As I am collecting the life pieces together my plan is to get back to fitness this year starting slowly but trying to be consistent. I have to get back to 4-6 week rotations because that’s what keeps me accountable. Also, work on the nutrition side. Most of all, I’m not going to be hard on myself, enjoy working out and movement in general, going to give it enough time to lose the 30 lbs I gained this year. It may take the whole year to lose that but I am fine with that. Now to decide what workout plan to start with next week.
I could've written this! Not done much since October myself but will restart next week after I figure out what I am going to do. I'm thinking Jessica smith since I haven't done an actual rotation with her workouts.

Erica- wishing you a speedy recovery!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 12:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
My plan to motivate myself to workout more consistently this year is to "pay" myself a nominal amount for each 15 minute workout increment I complete up to a max of maybe $5 a day...
adawn - I have been doing the "Dollar per Workout" Challenge for years now. It does help with motivation (for me)!

I have been doing the same rotation for years, too. It has categories and I plug in the workouts I feel like doing that day. It has rest, balance and flexibility components to help avoid over-training. I modify the rotation sometimes depending my current goals:

▪ Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
▪ Monday: Steady State Cardio
▪ Tuesday: Upper/Abs & Intervals
▪ Wednesday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Thursday: Lower/Abs
▪ Friday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Saturday: Total Body Strength

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 12:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
adawn - I have been doing the "Dollar per Workout" Challenge for years now. It does help with motivation (for me)!

I have been doing the same rotation for years, too. It has categories and I plug in the workouts I feel like doing that day. It has rest, balance and flexibility components to help avoid over-training. I modify the rotation sometimes depending my current goals:

▪ Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
▪ Monday: Steady State Cardio
▪ Tuesday: Upper/Abs & Intervals
▪ Wednesday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Thursday: Lower/Abs
▪ Friday: SS Cardio, Mobility or Balance
▪ Saturday: Total Body Strength

That is a great well rounded rotation. I may have to steal it!

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals