Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-21, 01:55 PM  
Vantreesta

What is so hard about starting??

I love working out and feel so good about myself for doing it, but why is it still so hard to get started every day?? Why do I procrastinate so badly??

Anyone else struggle with this on a daily basis? I'm not even talking about getting back to it after time off, just every day even though I've been doing it regularly.

Maybe it's harder bc I don't work and have no real time constraints?

Would love to hear if anyone else has this problem and what push you give yourself to just do it! Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 02:54 PM  
DD546

I do! I do! What works best for me is to do it first thing in the morning. If I don't, something always seems to get in the way. It's a great way to begin the day. I try to just get up and do it without thinking about it too much. If I don't manage to get it done early, I can usually motivate myself to do something like a Misty Tripoli workout because it's fun and not too onerous, or Essentrics because its short and makes me feel good. I'm over forcing myself to do grueling workouts. My philosophy on days when I'm not real motivated is something is better than nothing. Once I get started, I often will do more than I told myself I was going to.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 03:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for replying! I agree it's easiest to get things done first thing. My problem is that everything is hard to start for me so that means "first thing" I have to walk my dog, workout and do housework. Whatever doesn't actually get done first suffers, either by procrastinating till it doesn't get done at all (house) or by arguing and pushing myself (working out) bc walking the dog has to happen! We both get squirrelly without that morning walk. Normally we walk and then I eat breakfast, and the idea then was to do housework for an hour or two then workout. But everything after breakfast becomes smthg I put off bc starting is so hard. I have tried setting alarms on my phone to keep me moving from task to task but it has never worked, I just dismiss or ignore the alarms. I agree, sometimes doing smthg fun to get the ball rolling can help so today I did a segment from 10MS Cardio Hip Hop but I'm still having to really push myself to stop arguing and just keep going.

I guess I keep hoping for some magical little trick that will make it easier when I probably just need to dig deep and get serious with myself.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-24-21, 04:01 PM  
wendug

I have issues with starting a workout, too. I just tell myself to start the workout and if I'm not feeling it within 10 minutes of starting, I can stop. Yeah, once I start I don't stop.

I wish I could work out first thing in the morning, but my dh is usually still asleep and my workout space is right next to the bedroom. He often works late at night and sleeps in later, so I don't want to wake him up. I do start my day with a dog walk, but it isn't the same as a workout. I normally do my workout in the afternoon, which can be difficult after a busy day. That's why I have issues with starting a workout. But I make it work for me.
Old 08-24-21, 04:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i changed my mindset. i just do it, like Nike.

pretend you're talking to your child, who is you. say in a nice way "yes, we brush our teeth every day" (insert exercise for brush our teeth).

otherwise, i can find a million reasons why i should do something else (procrastinate).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 04:09 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the tips! I will try talking to myself like that. It beats some of the things I tell myself!

I agree that my dog walks aren't the same as a workout. They are still exercise and when it's cool enough we walk at a good pace in btwn breaks to sniff and whatnot, but it's still not the same. They're easier for me to start (most of the time) bc I know that adorable fur-bubby is counting on me, and I love our walks together.

Old 08-24-21, 05:25 PM  
Izzy

Maybe the night before write things down you want to do the next day on a pad on the counter. Sometimes on Sunday’s, my one day off, I will write times like 6-7 walk, 8-9 church, 10-12 weeds etc. The other days I have to work so I have to get it all done but Sunday is my one day off and there is so much to do I set a time line. Anyway, if you write things down the night before (on paper, not computer or notebook, you have to see it) then cross them off as you do them it’s this feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. Also doing it the night before you go to bed thinking about it and it’s on your mind first thing. Keep the list realistic. If you put too much then you brain feels overwhelmed.
Old 08-24-21, 06:22 PM  
BunnyHop

The main thing I changed is that I started at a very easy level and have slowly, slowly increased the volume, then the intensity of what I do each at gradual intervals. That easy start made it easier to keep going.

In a practical, 'how do I keep from talking myself out of it' way, I've taken on the role of personal cheerleader. When I first wake up, I make it a priority to get up and get moving. There are certain things I do in the morning, and regardless of order, they do happen, to a level that's at the very least "Good Enough for today".

If I need to break free of inertia, I count backwards, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. and give myself a 'you can do this' talking to. Nothing severe, just persistent encouragement.

Do you journal? I keep a bullet journal, and keep page each month dedicated to tracking several things I want to accomplish every day. Each item gets a colorful dot each day, and if I've prepared for it, but not yet accomplished it, I circle the colorful dot for the day. If I've done half, it gets one slash mark /. If I've done it all, it gets a full x. (For example, remembering to administer my morning dose of Flonase gets a simple x, just for having gotten it done. Preparing my doses of fiber supplements gets a circle, then each dose gets a slash as I take them, eventually creating a little circled colorful dot with an x across it. In my little system, vigorous exercise like kettlebells and any club type weights get their own dot. Yoga, CS and other stuff gets a different color.) If I want to keep track of repetitions, I keep a running total on the day's page, then write it in the dot at the end of the day. Writing it all out sounds very complicated, but it's been super simple to set up and use. The vivid colors add a bit of interest to something that might otherwise be sort of repetitious.

I do find it helpful to keep track of some things every day because my memory is not great and I really do want to know at the end of the day what I did. Keeping a daily running log helps me remember and keep track.

As the month ends I find it rewarding to be able to look back and see how consistent I've been. If I slack off, I ease up on the volume and intensity and gradually increase it again til I can make progress.

For me, a tiny baby step every day is an achievement, and being able to look back at a consistent bunch of them is a morale booster.
Old 08-24-21, 06:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Thanks for the tips! I will try talking to myself like that. It beats some of the things I tell myself!

I agree that my dog walks aren't the same as a workout. They are still exercise and when it's cool enough we walk at a good pace in btwn breaks to sniff and whatnot, but it's still not the same. They're easier for me to start (most of the time) bc I know that adorable fur-bubby is counting on me, and I love our walks together.
is your dog an indoor dog? maybe he can watch you while you exercise, and you talk to your dog like "hi fur-bubby, we're going to do a video with weight training, and i will demonstrate."

believe me, i procrastinate about a lot of other things! but exercise, i've come to terms with it. when i see another person working out or who i know works out, i think "i can be like her/him too".

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 06:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Unfortunately, I have tried listing everything in a physical planner and things still rarely get done as far as house stuff. Just like the alarms on my phone set for everything during the day: walks, housework, workout, I even have alarms for meals and shower! Things get ignored, I can never stay on track.

As far as workouts, they are meticulously planned out and written on paper as well as my check in here. I do workout most days but I just don't understand why it's so hard to just hit play when I love doing it!

Cyric is an indoor dog but he won't stay downstairs when I workout. I say you gonna workout with me today? He gets excited to run downstairs but when he sees I'm working out and it's not to play with him he comes back upstairs. Sometimes he will watch me for a few minutes but mostly he's bored and would rather sleep. I guess I'm not very exciting!

It's so frustrating bc I used to be so motivated and stuck to my plans and schedule. I don't know what happened!

Tags
motivation, procrastination