Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-21, 07:24 PM  
DCW

I workout and exercise because I have always liked it. When I was in school we didn't have gym. So when I finally got to a school that had gym everyday I thought of it like recess. Play tennis, wow! A trampoline I had never seen one in real life. Gymnastics equipment! I tried everything even the balance beam and uneven bars plus the horse.

My interest stayed and endures so I have DVDs, and a smattering of home exercise equipment. My rec center has a weight and exercise room so I frequently go there. A new pool has opened close to me so I may dabble in a swim class.

Mobility, flexibility, strength balance and fun keeps me exercising.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 01:29 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Interesting thread! I enjoyed reading everyone’s posts about how their ideas about exercise have changed over the years.

I have always exercised because it’s part of who I am. As a kid, I was always running, jumping rope, dancing, riding a bicycle and skating. In college and grad school, I had to schedule exercise and took dance classes and went to the gym. As a break from school, I became a fitness instructor. I was into fitness because it was what I really enjoyed, and I didn’t think about doing it for any other reason.

As the years went on, I started thinking more about how exercise made me look, but mostly about how it made me feel (happier and more energetic). Now, I exercise mainly because I want to stay healthy and strong.

The pandemic has changed the way I think about everything, including exercise. Health is my number one priority. I want my heart to be strong, so I do cardio. I want my bones and muscles to be strong, so I do strength training. I want to be flexible and have good range of motion in my joints, so I stretch and do yoga.

My workouts are mostly my own creations. I know my own limits and never exceed them; when I exercise to videos led by an instructor, I sometimes push myself beyond what is truly safe for me, and end up with pain. Years ago, I could pretty much do any advanced video without issue, but alas, not anymore.

I would rather underdo than overdo now. I want to avoid injury. So, I exercise knowing what works best for me. Luckily, I have a home gym with a variety of equipment, so I am able to accomplish my goals.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 09:58 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I workout and exercise because I have always liked it. When I was in school we didn't have gym. So when I finally got to a school that had gym everyday I thought of it like recess. Play tennis, wow! A trampoline I had never seen one in real life. Gymnastics equipment! I tried everything even the balance beam and uneven bars plus the horse.

My interest stayed and endures so I have DVDs, and a smattering of home exercise equipment. My rec center has a weight and exercise room so I frequently go there. A new pool has opened close to me so I may dabble in a swim class.

Nice. Sounds like it's in you for sure.. Great childhood. You sound like a kid in a Candy store.. Just like you want. <3

we had gym but it was not fun.. I just remember having to wear blue shorts and a white shirt and it had to be ironed. No wrinkled clothing allowed.. and just running around the play yard, that was paved. So got a lot of scars on my legs to show I was in for it.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 10:04 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Interesting thread! I enjoyed reading everyone’s posts about how their ideas about exercise have changed over the years.

The pandemic has changed the way I think about everything, including exercise. Health is my number one priority. I want my heart to be strong, so I do cardio. I want my bones and muscles to be strong, so I do strength training. I want to be flexible and have good range of motion in my joints, so I stretch and do yoga.

My workouts are mostly my own creations. I know my own limits and never exceed them; when I exercise to videos led by an instructor, I sometimes push myself beyond what is truly safe for me, and end up with pain. Years ago, I could pretty much do any advanced video without issue, but alas, not anymore.

. So, I exercise knowing what works best for me. Luckily, I have a home gym with a variety of equipment, so I am able to accomplish my goals.
I also love my home space. I just look at WOW and Planet fitness and have no desire to see what's in there. I see the Purple machines and all the grey machines and it doesn't call me..

I love the little pieces of equipment that I continue to buy because they make it fun to use. I think that the last pieces of anything I've bought had to do with my fitness at home. I hope I'm really done buying and just do something every day. My purpose is for health. I no longer complain that my body doesn't indent or roll out waves. It's my body and I'm aware of it every single day I get up, it's on my mind.. "what are you going to do today Cheryl?" and I love it.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-08-21, 11:32 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:

I was like you. I loved getting to use the pieces of equipment I had no access to. Probably why I have such a varied collection of equipment now

I absolutely workout for vanity. I still want a 6 pack and capped shoulders And I still think that's doable for me, and I've done it before, but I have a hard time putting in enough quality workout time

I also workout to feel confident. Confident in my ability to lift things that other people around me can't. Confident that I can move the ways I want to. Confident that I can keep my balance and stay agile...etc. I am still working towards all these thing but working out definitely improves my confidence in all these areas

And I workout to sweat. I like to sweat, haha!!

ETA: I'm 42, by the way. I have a ton of great workout years behind me but I plan to keep going as long as I am able to. VF is great for showing me all the options out there no matter what type of workouts I may be looking for
Old 08-08-21, 11:36 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I also love my home space. I just look at WOW and Planet fitness and have no desire to see what's in there. I see the Purple machines and all the grey machines and it doesn't call me..

I love the little pieces of equipment that I continue to buy because they make it fun to use. I think that the last pieces of anything I've bought had to do with my fitness at home. I hope I'm really done buying and just do something every day. My purpose is for health. I no longer complain that my body doesn't indent or roll out waves. It's my body and I'm aware of it every single day I get up, it's on my mind.. "what are you going to do today Cheryl?" and I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Nice. Sounds like it's in you for sure.. Great childhood. You sound like a kid in a Candy store.. Just like you want. <3

we had gym but it was not fun.. I just remember having to wear blue shorts and a white shirt and it had to be ironed. No wrinkled clothing allowed.. and just running around the play yard, that was paved. So got a lot of scars on my legs to show I was in for it.
Cheryl, it is like being a kid in a candy store and it's so much fun!!! I love my workout equipment.
Old 08-08-21, 09:23 PM  
DCW

Who remembers the commercial for a medical alert device that the actor says, "I've fallen down and can't get up!!!"

I now realize she's not hurt or injured. She just doesn't have the strength, mobility or balance to get up from the floor. She is too weak to get up by herself.

That's not going to be me if I can help it.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 08:03 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Who remembers the commercial for a medical alert device that the actor says, "I've fallen down and can't get up!!!"

I now realize she's not hurt or injured. She just doesn't have the strength, mobility or balance to get up from the floor. She is too weak to get up by herself.

That's not going to be me if I can help it.
yes, it's weak bones and fragility. and you lose your balance. they made fun of that commercial, just like the Sprint, "can you hear me now?"

~~~Cheryl

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity