Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-21, 08:40 PM  
bfit

What is effective for lower body firming?

I've written here before about my various frustrations. Briefly, I was not able to walk for almost 5 months, and there is a "band" around the middle of my body including the upper thighs, lower abs, and glutes that is completely weak and flabby. I have been on my feet now since January, I do tons of exercise, I can walk 3-4 miles at a time, and I do lower body toning of some kind about 3x a week. I do things like Cathe F To The Mat which is all floor work, and I do Barlates lower body work. I have seen absolutely no change in my hips and thighs since January. I did not gain weight when I was injured so it's not fat there - it's just untoned muscle. I am 64. Is it possible to get my body back? I need to go back to work soon, and none of my pants fit in the rear. My PT was not of any help with this.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 06:16 AM  
Demeris

I would suggest either Callanetics. I, too, am 64, and I've given up on smooth and firm. I'm settling for firm.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 08:27 AM  
donnamp

Hi Bfit - How about Margaret Richard - she has some great floowork routines - high rep/low weight. Or another good one to try may be the floorwork from Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout. Bridging may help w/ glutes...
Maybe some Pilates? I'm thinking Cassey Ho/Blogilates if you can stand her perkiness may help. Slim Series or Lucy Wyndham Read may help too those are all high rep/low or no weight.

It may just be that it is going to take more time for the work you have currently been doing to catch up to your body - although it seems like a long time - since January - it may not be enough time for your body to change.

It is great that you are able to exercise and walk 3-4 miles - that is something to celebrate!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 08:27 AM  
laurajhawk

This is a blast from the past, but Brazil Butt Lift probably gave me the best lower-body results the fastest.

I have to question this statement:
I did not gain weight when I was injured so it's not fat there - it's just untoned muscle.
Typically if you stop exercising but don't gain weight, it means that you have lost muscle mass but gained fat. The fat is less dense than the muscle, hence the reason your pants don't fit. Because of that, if you regain the muscle but don't burn enough calories to lose the fat, you'll see that "bulking" effect where you look even bigger because the fat stays there on top of the new muscle.

And the reason that's important is, Callanetics is great toning but doesn't burn a lot of calories, so if you go that route you should probably add cardio.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 09:45 AM  
fanofladyvols

Oh my goodness, I was so glad to read you're able to do so much! This is wonderful news!

Can you walk anywhere with hills?

Can you add 50 walking lunges during one of your walks ?

When you walk, is it all steady state? Is it possible for you to add Intervals?

Intervals at high intensity for short one to two minutes throughout your second mile would be a good way to start adding intervals. And only doing the intervals a couple times a week.

You could also do intervals with shorter step stride, but quicker pace..or increase your step stride distance with a slower tempo.

If you don't like any of those suggestions, can you add a weighted belt to your waist while you walk? I'm always shocked how tough adding 2 pounds increases the intensity of my cardio.

Basically, my advice is to shake up that walking routine ...and congratulations on all your movement!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 01:39 PM  
Kitten

I am not the biggest fan of floor work ( a complete 180 from how I used to be)

I will tell you the best my legs ever looked was when I did Billy's Bootcamp Elite. Which I found brand new at a garage sale. I still do Mission one minus the toning sections.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 01:02 PM  
Hsim

I think lower body workouts with a metabolic component would really help with both toning and fat burning. If you can't do impact, Cathe F has some workouts that keep things low impact.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 02:37 PM  
JENILU

(adding in that this is more of a ramble if you care to read, haha, but hopefully a little useable advice. Maybe somebody will teach me someday how to edit to just the needed info)
I remember slightly similar questions years past (I am off and on of here, lol, so may remember some of them more??). But I remember hearing constantly that proper form deadlifts- especially 1 legged (where the other leg is bent, not necessarily elevated) was the way to go. I also remember hearing a lot of great stories for Brazil Butt Lift, as someone stated, but that is a whole program if you want a certain shape. (I have it but can't do it.) Maybe the deadlifts along with the floorwork (do full body work to keep it balanced of course- I do verywell with workouts that work upper/lower/upper/lower because I get a cardio effect while working full body- that and walking weights workouts (cardio weights) because I don't get the swelling and inflammation from just a lot of "toning".
I am a pear, so definately not a genius on lower body, lol, but I sit a lot and have kept it from getting outragiously huge. The one time i built the most lower body muscle was when I fully stuck to kettlebells for a while, but already being a pear, I had to change things up.- and it gave me personally a shelf butt, haha, but results all over were the most visible I have ever gotten.
Good luck and bless you for moving and working so hard on it. That is what I think I miss most on here and always come back. People work! Everyone I know in person just whines about health or body issues, and either asks my advice or I volunteer, haha, but noone ever wants to make any changes. I don't know what they expect my answers to be. (They ask because I am alive with a ton of health issues and not obese, not because I look or feel amazing. I should add that.)
Many blessings!! You are such an inspiration to me!! Thankyou for that!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 05:03 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The lower body muscles are the largest muscles in the body, and you have to find some way to challenge them. I think you need a combination of squats and lunges, with cardio (which you already do) and something like callanetics or floorwork which tighten and tone the smaller supporting muscles of the area.

If you're worried that squats and lunges will expand the area, keep the reps high without too much in the way of heavy weights. Do use enough weight to work the muscles though.

An interesting aside re: floorwork. Last year I was significantly weaker in my left hip than my right because I have a bit of arthritis in that joint. After just 4 weeks of Pilates floorwork, I could climb stairs much easier with that leg, than before. I did no squats or lunges at all. Floorwork worked for me, and I continue to do it.
Old 05-19-21, 11:34 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I do a mix of all three -- Margaret Richard's lower body floorwork + Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix Intermediate are my staples, combined with some other strength workouts that I sprinkle in + yoga + walking/hiking/biking. The balance usually works out well!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core strength, floorwork, lower body, lower body results, lower body tightening, muscle loss, results