Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-21, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
Buying shoes is sooooo hard! And we don't have a lot of options to look and try on in our town
I have been using the same old New Balance cross-trainers for probably 15 years. I have tried almost every brand and none feel right!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 11:13 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I have wide feet, a high arch, slightly weak ankles despite years of walking a fair amount and some foot problems. For several years I have gotten New Balance trail running shoes for walking. They have decent cushion and nice stability.

This winter I got a pair of Columbia Ice Maiden snow boots, which have a sneaker-structure foot bed and sole. They're very nice for walking in the wet and cold but are slippery in snow. Fortunately, I get much more rain than snow. I will probably look at Columbia also the next time I need walking shoes.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 12:29 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Well that stinks! I want extra cushion. I guess you saved me from purchasing because I don't need extra support either. Maybe I will try the ones Susan H mentioned.

Sherry have you been able to sort through these responses and find a shoe?
If you try the shoes I mentioned, they run narrow. I have a narrow foot and the medium width fit me perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
Buying shoes is sooooo hard! And we don't have a lot of options to look and try on in our town
I hear you! Thanks to a narrow foot, I order online from places that have free shipping and free returns.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 01:39 PM  
rhbrand

Shoes are such a personal thing. I've been fitted at a running store, and had 3 pair to pick from, all that were "properly fitted" to my feet.
1 pair I HATED 1 pair I could have done well with and that 3rd pair were like floating on clouds.

All fit my feet fine, all were made for the way pronate my feet. But only 1 out of 3 felt just awesome.

I wish it wasn't over an hour drive to that store again, cause getting fitted again probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe this fall.
Old 03-28-21, 03:11 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Shoes are such a personal thing.
Yes, yes they are! I managed a shoe store in the past and shoes are a very personal thing. Some have narrow feet, a wide toe box, high arches, flat feet, etc. Finding brands that work for you are great. You definitely need to try stuff on to see what fits and feels best for you. It is very hard to go on shoe recommendations from others (besides knowing if a brand uses quality materials and lasts).
Old 03-28-21, 06:39 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I recently got Altra Torrin Plush at the recommendation of my sister. These are running shoes but I don't run and I wear them on long walks. Usually 5-6 miles. I used to wear minimalist shoes but after my second foot surgery I needed more padding in my shoes. I think this was more from aging feet than my surgury but in any case these Altra shoes are very nice and comfy-lots of cushioning.

P.S. My sister also recommended Hokas. She works in retail and spends a lot of time on her feet.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 07:48 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Yes, yes they are! I managed a shoe store in the past and shoes are a very personal thing. Some have narrow feet, a wide toe box, high arches, flat feet, etc. Finding brands that work for you are great. You definitely need to try stuff on to see what fits and feels best for you. It is very hard to go on shoe recommendations from others (besides knowing if a brand uses quality materials and lasts).
Yes, I agree 100%. I have never been able to wear New Balance. It's like the arch is in the wrong place. Sketchers are so wide in the heel. I have been really happy with my Hoka and Altras. They are a little wide, but by changing the lacing I have been able to make them work. I also find that I have to replace my shoes often to stay comfortable.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 08:40 AM  
sherry7899

I did find my pair of Saucony trainers and they are working fine for now. I will make a list of the ones from this thread I am curious about. Thank you all so much!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 12:14 PM  
warriorprincess

I've been wearing Saucony for years. I sometimes try other brands but always end up being happier with Saucony. My older sister says the same thing. I guess it's something our feet have in common that makes this shoe work best for us.

I'm due for another pair. Plus I want to find a comfy sandal to walk in the summer heat with. I don't last more than a few minutes outdoors in S. Florida summer humidity in sneakers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 11:59 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I love the ASICS Gel Kayano. They are stability running shoes, but I use them for almost everything except racquet sports on a court. I have a great website I order from:

https://www.efootwear.com/c-279-wide.aspx?Brand=Asics

They carry ASICS, New Balance, Hoka and other brands. They even have a section for wide shoes.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, sneakers, walking shoes